Why not Wrestling?

wrestler60160

Before you all get too excited the IHSAA by-laws seem to allow that for all individual sports. Below is the by-law.

"15-1 During Authorized Contest Season (Individual and Team Sports, Camps, Clinics)

15-1.1 Individual Sports (Cross Country, Golf, Gymnastics, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Wrestling

a. Participation in organized non-school sports competition during the Authorized Contest Season, including the IHSAA Tournament Series, in that sport shall cause such students to become ineligible for their School team in that sport for a period not to exceed Threehundred Sixty-five (365) days as determined by the Commissioner, unless an outstanding  student-athlete waiver for said competition is approved by the coach, principal and the IHSAA office and is on file in the principal’s office. A maximum of Two (2) waivers may be granted during a Contest Season."

Edited by chambers

Yeah, but wasn't this "B" team members that went to the event?  I understand they did well because their team is so deep, but how does that fit under the "outstanding student athlete" designation?

Also, what type of "club" meets are there?  I know Alex Tsirtsis was allowed to accept an invitation to the Midlands during the season, but what other examples of available in-season club events are there for wrestling?

Edited by maligned

Something like Beast of the east would be a good one for a couple of our Top (Club) wink, wink Teams to compete in. And travel guidelines shouldn't be an issue because it reads that the swimmers went to Washington for one of their meets.

Edited by wrestler60160

Something like Beast of the east would be a good one for a couple of our Top (Club) wink, wink Teams to compete in. And travel guidelines shouldn't be an issue because it reads that the swimmers went to Washington for one of their meets.

The let a swim team travel to Washington.    But they wont let a wrestling team travel to Ohio (Ironman).    Maybe this swim team opened up a can of worms.  I see an opportunity.

The let a swim team travel to Washington.    But they wont let a wrestling team travel to Ohio (Ironman).    Maybe this swim team opened up a can of worms.  I see an opportunity.

Not their scholastic team--a club team that had scholastic team members that were high caliber.  Again, for me this is similar to Alex Tsirtsis getting permission to wrestle the Midlands.  Beast of the East is not an example because it's not a club event.  What other in-season club events are we talking about?

Not their scholastic team--a club team that had scholastic team members that were high caliber.  Again, for me this is similar to Alex Tsirtsis getting permission to wrestle the Midlands.  Beast of the East is not an example because it's not a club event.  What other in-season club events are we talking about?

That makes sense.   But always hate the Indiana travel rule.

The Dave Schultz Memorial Tournament would be one example.  International freestyle competitions would also count I presume.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.