Semi-State Officiating

RegionRoyalty

With the new rule implemented last year that after 2 years in a row officiating at the State Finals, you can only officiate a Sectional the following year, and only a Sectional and Regional the year after that, I will be interested to see how the officiating plays out this weekend at the four Semi-States..

I see pro's and con's to this rule.  The pro's are that some new guys get a chance to advance in the state series and prove themselves at the higher levels.  The con's clearly are that we aren't sure that we have enough good officials in the state to have 6 to 10 State Finals caliber officials sitting out the final, most important few weeks of the season.  While this may work for basketball, and sports where there are 1000 officials, this is difficult to pull off successfully in wrestling, where there are less quality officials to choose from.

What are your guys thoughts on this? The current system is as follows (Note: This is DIRECTLY from the IHSAA website)

Indiana High School Athletic Association, Inc.

TOURNAMENT OFFICIALS RATINGS SYSTEM

The ranking of contest officials applying for an IHSAA tournament series event shall have two components:

1. School vote                         (50% of total rating)

The composite number calculated by this method will represent 50% of the officials overall score for the tournament assignment and advancement.  Each school will be asked to rate an official or crew listed on the IHSAA Officials Voting Survey. The rating scale will reflect a numerical rating system labeled as 5-4-3-2-1 with criteria established for each category.

5    The official/crew exhibits excellent communication skills, NFHS/IHSAA approved mechanics, arrives at the contest site mentally and physically prepared, demonstrates excellent game management, and has control of the contest by making consistent calls from beginning to the end and can work the highest level in the tournament.

4   The official/crew displays very good communication skills, and is in position to make most calls. The official manages the game well and has control of the contest, but not at the highest level.

3   The official/crew demonstrates adequate rules knowledge and acceptable game management.  Communication with coaches and players is acceptable but needs more experience to work the higher levels of the tournament.

2   The official/crew has the ability, rules knowledge and communication skills to work the lowest level of the tournament. Improvement in one or more of these areas is required for advancement

1   The official/crew is unable to adequately demonstrate the skill level, communication, judgment, mechanics, and rules knowledge expected for the tournament.  Game management needs improvement in order to officiate a tournament contest.

Note:  Schools that submit a rating of either 2 or 1 must provide specific feedback via a drop down menu.

1. Individual Vote      (50% of total rating)

Each official or crew that applies for the IHSAA tournament series must meet the minimum requirements for working the tournament.  Five (A – F below) individual criteria will total 50% of the officials overall score for tournament advancement.

A. Previous Tournament Experience (5%)

State                5 points

Semi-state       4 points

Regional          3 points

Sectional         2 points

Applicant         1 point

Previous tournament experience will be considered over the last six (6) years.

In football, each crew member should verify their highest level of tournament advancement in Arbiter.  The numbers for each of the 3 crew members with the most tenure will be added together and divided by 3, which will represent the previous tournament experience.

B.  Previous Tournament Assignment (any level) (5%)

6+                    5 points

5                      4 points

4                      3 points

2-3                   2 points

0-1                   1 point

Previous tournament assignments will be considered over the last six (6) years.

In football, the numbers for each of the 3 crew members with the highest number of tournament assignments will be added together and divided by 3, which will represent the average previous tournament assignments for the crew.

C. Years of Licensure in Respective Sport (5%)

12+                  5 points

10-11               4 points

8-9                   3 points

5-7                   2 points

0-4                   1 point

In football, each crew member should verify their years of licensure in Arbiter.  The numbers for each of the 3 crew members with the most tenure will be added together and divided by 3, which will represent the average years of licensure.

D. Test Score - Part 2 (5%)
  100-98 %   5 points

96-97%    4 points

94-95%    3 points            

92-93%    2 points

90-91%     1 point

< 90%     fail to meet minimum tournament requirement

E. Number of Contests Worked (20%)

7+ Varsity Events    5 pts

6 Varsity Events     4 pts

5 Varsity Events     3 pts

4 Varsity Events     2 pts

3 Varsity Events     1 pts

Minimum games required to work the tournament series:

Wrestling 3

F. Association Attendance & Member in Good Standing (10%)

4 Meetings Attended     5 pts

3 Meetings Attended     4 pts

2 Meetings Attended     3 pts

1 Meeting Attended       2 pts

0 Meetings Attended     0 pts

A maximum of (2) meetings will be offered on-line via the IHSAA.

IHSAA Tournament Officials Rating System – Reminders
A.   Member schools will have the opportunity to rate all officials that have applied for a specific  
      tournament series. 

1. All IHSAA member schools shall participate in the ratings of tournament officials in all sports.
  2. When computing the school ratings for contest officials, the following equalizers shall be used:

1. Officials receiving 12-29 votes shall have the top and bottom (1) rating discarded.

30-49 votes, top and bottom 2 ratings discarded.

50-69 votes, top and bottom 3 ratings discarded.

70-89 votes, top and bottom 4 ratings discarded.

90-109 votes, top and bottom 5 ratings discarded.

110-129 votes, top and bottom 6 ratings discarded.

130-149 votes, top and bottom 7 ratings discarded.

150-169 votes, top and bottom 8 ratings discarded.

Notable officials who have worked the State Finals in the past 2 seasons who are not working a Semi-State this weekend:

*Note that some of these are due to retirement

Steve Anslinger

William Carpenter

Jon Hammond

Frankie Medvescek

Ray Pettit

Pete Schroeder

Charles Barnett

Jeff Colborn

Michael Golando

Robert Helm

Jeff McClane

Keith Mughmaw

That's 12 of the best officials in the state sitting home this weekend on one of the most important weekends of the season.  Doesn't quite make sense to me..

Maybe the gentlemen with more experience could be staggered a bit more.  A little planning a head, and you could have 1/3 guys from the top 1/3 of the experience ladder, 1/3 from the middle 1/3, and 1/3 from the youngest 1/3...

Sounds like the US Senate

With the new system, you still end up with over 75% of the same guys that would have been doing semi-states each year in the old system.  I'm not sure why it was considered inappropriate to have the list of assigned officials for this weekend posted, but the list showed that there are many state finals officials assigned to all 4 semi-state sites. 

yes why would it be inappropriate to list the name of the official 

With the new system, you still end up with over 75% of the same guys that would have been doing semi-states each year in the old system.  I'm not sure why it was considered inappropriate to have the list of assigned officials for this weekend posted, but the list showed that there are many state finals officials assigned to all 4 semi-state sites. 

it seems it would be a good way to grade and evaluate the referees . we do want the best officials for the state series so how do we know who are the best. it is easy to see the worst they show themselves every time they officiate. is there a grading scale or how are they assigned

Notable officials who have worked the State Finals in the past 2 seasons who are not working a Semi-State this weekend:

*Note that some of these are due to retirement

Steve Anslinger

William Carpenter

Jon Hammond

Frankie Medvescek

Ray Pettit

Pete Schroeder

Charles Barnett

Jeff Colborn

Michael Golando

Robert Helm

Jeff McClane

Keith Mughmaw

That's 12 of the best officials in the state sitting home this weekend on one of the most important weekends of the season.  Doesn't quite make sense to me..

Just to clarify, I for one, will be at New Castle watching and enjoying the action, from the seats, as I'll bet most of the list above will be doing on Saturday....  :)

The guys sitting out probably are great refs.  But sometimes there's a club mentality where the same guys get selected to the big events or get the best ratings based on reputation.  Ive seen some high ranked refs make some mistakes.   I think this opens the glass ceiling a little bit.

I see both sides of this argument but I also know that there are some younger officials who are very good and will be helped by this system.  These guys sometimes get frustrated by not being able to climb the ladder as quickly as they should.  I will also add, although very delicately, that some of the supposed best officials in the state that "will be sitting at home" the next two weekends may have slipped a little over the years and may not be as good as they would like to think they are.  As long as we have ENOUGH officials, I think a system like this is a good compromise.

I see both sides of this argument but I also know that there are some younger officials who are very good and will be helped by this system.  These guys sometimes get frustrated by not being able to climb the ladder as quickly as they should.  I will also add, although very delicately, that some of the supposed best officials in the state that "will be sitting at home" the next two weekends may have slipped a little over the years and may not be as good as they would like to think they are.  As long as we have ENOUGH officials, I think a system like this is a good compromise.

well said my friend well said

IMO, fans have nothing to do with choosing or voting on referees or really anything else for that matter. We are just spectators and it ultimately the responsibility falls on the coaches to make the best arguments and decisions for the wrestlers. As far as the refs go, I've seen some good ones and some that need to study up on the rules a bit more. I don't envy a refs job at all, because no matter how good you are someone is always yelling at you!!! Lol

Edited by arch.74

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.