Sectional runner up to Regional Champ who/why.

kman

who did he lose to in sectional? i cant remember. was it gabe wilson one year?

Both wrestlers from Columbus East.  I recall Stillinger as a Junior and after looking back at the IHSAA results page Schuler as a Sophomore.  Wilson was always at a slightly higher weight than Partee I believe.

Last year, three regional sites had 3 non-sectional champs become regional champs and all 16 sites had at least 1.

Here is who the regional champs were:

Sectional champs to regional champs: 196 (12.25 per regional) = 87.5%

Non-sectional champs to regional champs: 28 (1.75 per regional) = 12.5%

Sectional 2nd place: 21 regional champs = 9.4%

Sectional 3rd place: 6 regional champs = 2.7%

Sectional 4th place: 1 regional champ out of 224 weight classes = 0.4%

The one and only sectional 4th place to regional champion story was sophomore Nathan Boggs from South Dearborn at 126 pounds at the Richmond regional.  Boggs had gone into sectional as the #1 seed, but was upset 6-5 by the #4 Bowers of Union Co. and then 8-4 by the #2 in the 3rd/4th place match.

At regional, he bounced back to take out the other sectional's champion 3-2, then avenged his loss to Bowers 7-0, and finished it off with a 4-3 victory over Loos of Franklin Co., who had been the sectional champ the week before.  He unfortunately lost the first round of semi-state to Cole of Elwood, falling victim to another #4 over #1 situation. 

Boggs is back as a junior this year and is a slight favorite to repeat as regional champ in a competitive 138-pound bracket at Richmond.

Last year, three regional sites had 3 non-sectional champs become regional champs and all 16 sites had at least 1.

Here is who the regional champs were:

Sectional champs to regional champs: 196 (12.25 per regional) = 87.5%

Non-sectional champs to regional champs: 28 (1.75 per regional) = 12.5%

Sectional 2nd place: 21 regional champs = 9.4%

Sectional 3rd place: 6 regional champs = 2.7%

Sectional 4th place: 1 regional champ out of 224 weight classes = 0.4%

The one and only sectional 4th place to regional champion story was sophomore Nathan Boggs from South Dearborn at 126 pounds at the Richmond regional.  Boggs had gone into sectional as the #1 seed, but was upset 6-5 by the #4 Bowers of Union Co. and then 8-4 by the #2 in the 3rd/4th place match.

At regional, he bounced back to take out the other sectional's champion 3-2, then avenged his loss to Bowers 7-0, and finished it off with a 4-3 victory over Loos of Franklin Co., who had been his sectional's champ the week before.  He unfortunately lost the first round of semi-state to Cole of Elwood, falling victim to another #4 over #1 situation. 

Boggs is back as a junior this year and is a slight favorite to repeat as regional champ in a competitive 138-pound bracket at Richmond.

We're definitely planning on having some guys win sectionals that didn't. I think Coach Williams Inj. DEF his senior year sectionals, regionals, and semi state taking 4th place, then ended up winning the the state title. That takes a major pair right there IMO. Not the exact same as the topic here, but an intresting fact. I myself won sectionals once, and regionals 3 times. Just the way the draws are, and who shows up ready to roll.  

Not really bulletin board worthy, its very hard for anyone to beat somebody 3 times straight when they are matched closely.

Of course they will BOTH advace to semi state, they meet in the finals.

Great point.

Matt Powless' jr. year when he got 6th at state was a sectional runner-up and regional champ.

As was Tanner Wedding his sophomore year when he got 8th.

And Alex White from Mt. Vernon did the same the year he was runner-up to Chalfant.

Just to name a few from the south from recent memory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.