Curious if anyone out there knows exactly where, in the wheel of administration at Purdue, the desire and catalyst for change originated?  What person or people owned that project? 

Also, if I recall correctly, Coach Ersland was not even on the radar screen as a possible candidate for this coaching position (at least within these forums).  Imagine how rewarding it must be for whomever watching this transformation take place. Congratulations to them!

It is a great thing for Indiana Wrestling.  I know that my son has been watching a lot more of their meets on TV.  He is actually showing interest by researching what programs and area of studies that they have to offer.  It is nice to see them heading in such a positive direction. 

Transformation? By what measurement?

Considering that this years schedule doesn't have Iowa and Minnesota, the results don't indicate a transformation. Throw in some questionable line up decisions, I'm not buying it yet. And that's with getting healthy Welch twins back from injury.

2014 Illinois L 18-16

2015 Illinois L 21- 9

2014 Ohio State L 16-15

2015 Ohio State - L, 24- 9

2014 Nebraska L, 28-9

2015 Nebraska L 25-6

2014 Penn State L, 34-3 (a loaded 4x National championionship team)

2015 vs. Penn State L, 26-9

Say what you may. I just know that whatever is going on there is catching my son's attention. Now he might only be able to be tear manager, but he would be great at it. He is even starting to wear those shirts with a PEE on them.

Don't worry about anything Powerline says. He's to Purdue and the Ersland era what Bronxbomber is to IU. (Not that I don't agree with the IU situation)

Don't worry about anything Powerline says. He's to Purdue and the Ersland era what Bronxbomber is to IU. (Not that I don't agree with the IU situation)

So what did I write that was not factual, dishonest, or condescending? I purely provided objective data for a factual comparison between last year's squad and this year's team. There is zero opinion involved in that, numbers don't lie.

I want to see a return of the program to prominence as much as anyone.

If you would like me to provide my constructive opinions on the soft aspects of the program direction that others are observing, we can discuss.

So what did I write that was not factual, dishonest, or condescending? I purely provided objective data for a factual comparison between last year's squad and this year's team. There is zero opinion involved in that, numbers don't lie.

I want to see a return of the program to prominence as much as anyone.

If you would like me to provide my constructive opinions on the soft aspects of the program direction that others are observing, we can discuss.

You're right, numbers don't lie.

L. Welch losing 3-1 to #1 Delgado

Sabatello beating Zane Richards among others

Welch Beating #2(at the time) James Green and #8 Dylan Alton

You won't convince me that if there wasn't a change in staff that matches like these would be a regular occurrence.

Staff change has nothing to do with that. Welches bring hurt last year had more to it, and Doug could always wrestle with Green, as exhibited by their national high school match after senior year.

Sabatello dropping down from 141 to 133 is the biggest reason for his success, among other things like room completion, etc. Beating Richards is not surprising; if I recall last year Cashe was thumping Richards via pin twice, and Sabatello did ok against Cashe from what I'm told. Richards is not a closer yet.

Great transformation? Lets schedule a match SuperBowl Sunday, Oh and hey wouldn't the Friday night of the State High School tourney be an excellent chance to showcase the TRANSFORMATION. And lets recruit in Jersey and Michigan nothing in state worth signing. 150 at the last Alumni event with Hinkel 10 this year. Stay Agressive!

Great transformation? Lets schedule a match SuperBowl Sunday, Oh and hey wouldn't the Friday night of the State High School tourney be an excellent chance to showcase the TRANSFORMATION. And lets recruit in Jersey and Michigan nothing in state worth signing. 150 at the last Alumni event with Hinkel 10 this year. Stay Agressive!

They have no control over the dates they are supposed to wrestle for Big 10 duals. I even talked to Coach Ersland this week and he said one of his top priorities is getting the IU dual moved.

Respectfully, If Coach Ersland has said moving a dual is a priority than he has some control. Why Did PU have monday night matches? Because Hinkel worked with other coaches to schedule Times/Locations to best showcase the PU product. Big 10 coaches have free will to schedule/change time and location

with other coaches. That is fact. 

Respectfully, If Coach Ersland has said moving a dual is a priority than he has some control. Why Did PU have monday night matches? Because Hinkel worked with other coaches to schedule Times/Locations to best showcase the PU product. Big 10 coaches have free will to schedule/change time and location

with other coaches. That is fact. 

Why are you blaming Ersland for that dual then? Why not blame Goldman or even Hinkle? Ersland came in really late and most the schedule was probably already made up by the time he got there.

Blame Hinkel? For a dual meet you yourself said coaches have no say in.Hinkel isnt the coach. Ersland and Goldman could have moved it. Really?Blame Hinkel? Really? Schedule Probably already made up? Really?  Have no bone against Ersland. The thread sites a transformation. Just an opinion, but PU messed this one up.

Blame Hinkel? For a dual meet you yourself said coaches have no say in.Hinkel isnt the coach. Ersland and Goldman could have moved it. Really?Blame Hinkel? Really? Schedule Probably already made up? Really?  Have no bone against Ersland. The thread sites a transformation. Just an opinion, but PU messed this one up.

You obviously didn't read the second half of that post. Once the schedule is set (prior to Ersland getting there) it is very difficult to change. Give the guy more than 6 months to put things into motion.

And Ersland not recruiting in state? Just because he doesn't have anyone signed on doesn't mean he's not recruiting them. He said in an interview a few weeks back that he's trying to recruit some awesome in-state talent. And what's wrong with out if state recruiting? He's got the 31 and 24 pound for pound ranked wrestlers in the nation.

Because Hinkle was lighting the world on fire with how many All-Americans? Even Indiana was having better success putting guys on the podium.

Hinkle had a dual with Indiana in 2011 on the Friday night of state. Why didn't he get that changed? Guess what, it was at Purdue also! 

Blame Hinkel? For a dual meet you yourself said coaches have no say in.Hinkel isnt the coach. Ersland and Goldman could have moved it. Really?Blame Hinkel? Really? Schedule Probably already made up? Really? Have no bone against Ersland. The thread sites a transformation. Just an opinion, but PU messed this one up.

Purdue messed up? He's been there for HALF A SEASON. How can you say they messed up when he's not even a year in yet?

Transformation? By what measurement?

Considering that this years schedule doesn't have Iowa and Minnesota, the results don't indicate a transformation. Throw in some questionable line up decisions, I'm not buying it yet. And that's with getting healthy Welch twins back from injury.

2014 Illinois L 18-16

2015 Illinois L 21- 9

2014 Ohio State L 16-15

2015 Ohio State - L, 24- 9

2014 Nebraska L, 28-9

2015 Nebraska L 25-6

2014 Penn State L, 34-3 (a loaded 4x National championionship team)

2015 vs. Penn State L, 26-9

I'm not saying your assessment is wrong, but you can't cherry pick results.   Through Illinois, they've wrestled 7 opponents that are the same as last year's schedule and they are averaging 4 points per match better in point differential in those matches.  They also have 3 wins over ranked opponents this year compared to 0 last year.  That's what the FULL schedule says.  You still certainly can make the argument that injury recoveries have helped that, but what college team doesn't have a lineup in constant flux due to injuries?  As we go further along, I'm not sure there's any fair barometer other than getting more wins and getting better results--whoever happens to be on the mat.  Purdue is a little better team this year than last; I think that's all anyone is really trying to say so far--once you read past the attention-grabbing word "transformation". 

Using the word "Transformation" was probably a bad choice on my part. I know it is too early to claim any sort of transformation having taken place at Purdue. What I was curious about and the reason for my post was to better understand , if anyone knows, how and who in the university administration, in this case Purdue, decides when it is time to make a coaching change? Just curious how this all went down knowing that changing a coaching staff can be a risky endeavor with no guarantees.

To be fair, since we're trying to put thngs into perspective: yesterday was possibly Purdue's worst performance of the year.  There were 7 similar-rank or unranked vs. unranked matches and 5 of them went to Michigan, including 3 by major or pin. 

I must admit, I was very disappointed yesterday as well.  The Boilers had 8 stalling calls against them which is pretty hard to swallow.  (I won't bash any of the athletes by name, I don't like it when people do that)  I do agree that they have had some HUGE bright spots this year and I would also agree that they are better than last year's team, but to me 7 or 8 of them should have came off the mat unhappy with their effort, not because they won or lost...but I have to believe when the watch the film they will be equally as disappointed with what all they didn't do out there. 

On a side note their singlets were BAD A$$!!

I must admit, I was very disappointed yesterday as well.  The Boilers had 8 stalling calls against them which is pretty hard to swallow.  (I won't bash any of the athletes by name, I don't like it when people do that)  I do agree that they have had some HUGE bright spots this year and I would also agree that they are better than last year's team, but to me 7 or 8 of them should have came off the mat unhappy with their effort, not because they won or lost...but I have to believe when the watch the film they will be equally as disappointed with what all they didn't do out there. 

On a side note their singlets were BAD A$$!!

To add something here, It was brought up that the elite programs, this time of year, train through duals. So, to peak more in line with the BIGS and nationals. I am in no way suggesting Purdue didn't want to win this match or that they are anywhere close to being a top tier team. But Ersland has been part of upper tier programs,and if you want to get a program better you need to mirrior things that may help in the future. Again, in the short term it is important to win matches, but in the long term to be in better shape for BIG 10's is a little more important. If this is a peaking plan.

I'm not saying your assessment is wrong, but you can't cherry pick results.   Through Illinois, they've wrestled 7 opponents that are the same as last year's schedule and they are averaging 4 points per match better in point differential in those matches.  They also have 3 wins over ranked opponents this year compared to 0 last year.  That's what the FULL schedule says.  You still certainly can make the argument that injury recoveries have helped that, but what college team doesn't have a lineup in constant flux due to injuries?  As we go further along, I'm not sure there's any fair barometer other than getting more wins and getting better results--whoever happens to be on the mat.  Purdue is a little better team this year than last; I think that's all anyone is really trying to say so far--once you read past the attention-grabbing word "transformation". 

From what I watched at match yesterday, not what I expected.

To your points, those ranked team are probably not ranked in the top 20 anymore, and have depth issues as well. A team like Northwestern 

giving up a FFT is at least a 9 point swing in each dual meet. As others have pointed out, the stalling calls yesterday were disappointing. 

So let's once again refresh my 'cherry picked' data to examine if Purdue is a 'little better'; I saw a team last year that was battling, more

physical, etc.

2014 Illinois        L  18-16       2015  Illinois          L 21- 9 

2014 Ohio State L  16-15       2015  Ohio State - L 24-9

2014 Nebraska   L  28-9         2015  Nebraska    L 25-6   (2014 - Cashe gets caught in cradle and pinned)

2014 Penn State L  34-3        2015  Penn State  L 26-9   (2014 PSU team was a loaded 4x National championionship team

while the 2015 PSU team has several studs red-shirting)

2014 Michigan     L 22-12      2015 Michigan       L 26-9              (Had Michigan fielded it's full starting line-up, it could have been 40-3.)

Yesterday's Michigan line-up featured:

* A back-up at 133 - who lost when he false started for a point at the end of the match (Michigan gave 8th ranked Bruno the day off)

* A 141 RS freshman starter who bumped up from 133 earlier in year and had 3 TD's yesterday on a senior

* A back-up at 165 (10th ranked Tyler Massa given day off) 

* A back-up 197 pound wrestler at Heavyweight (7th Ranked Coon given the day off) 

To be fair, since we're trying to put thngs into perspective: yesterday was possibly Purdue's worst performance of the year.  There were 7 similar-rank or unranked vs. unranked matches and 5 of them went to Michigan, including 3 by major or pin. 

Yesterday's Michigan line-up featured:

* A back-up at 133 - who lost when he false started for a point at the end of the match (Michigan gave 8th ranked Bruno the day off)

* A 141 RS freshman starter who bumped up from 133 earlier in year and had 3 TD's yesterday on a senior

* A back-up at 165 (10th ranked Tyler Massa given day off) 

* A back-up 197 pound wrestler at Heavyweight (7th Ranked Coon given the day off)