Gelen Robinson

sportsfangms

I know it's a quasi college topic, but thought I'd share with everyone that Gelen will be making his college debut tonight versus Ohio State.  The HWT he's wrestling is ranked 10th in the country, so he picked a hell of a first match.  Purdue will also wrestle Illinois on Sunday, so he'll get a few matches under his belt this weekend. Good luck to Mr. Robinson.  

The HWT he's wrestling is ranked 10th in the country, so he picked a hell of a first match.

Tavanello is currently out of OSU's line up and Ray Gordon is listed as the likely starter. Gordon has struggled some this year when placed in the starting line up. So if Robinson does get in it will likely not be such a baptism by fire.

I heard it from Gelen himself, he won the wrestle-off and said he was wrestling against Ohio State. 

Tavanello is currently out of OSU's line up and Ray Gordon is listed as the likely starter. Gordon has struggled some this year when placed in the starting line up. So if Robinson does get in it will likely not be such a baptism by fire.

That's good news. 

Gelen lost his second match, 2-0, to Black of Illinois.  Black is a redshirt freshman who wrestled at Blair Academy (arguably top HS in the nation) and won the Beast of the East and the Ironman, the two top in-season high school tournaments in the country, 3 times each.  Black is a bit undersized, so he's only 14-9 as a freshman wrestling against guys of Gelen's strength; but Black's footwork and skills were clearly far ahead of Gelen's at this point in his career.  Gelen looked very raw going up against a guy with high-level positioning and footwork.  Let's hope he can get some more mat time!

Black also rode him out in the 3rd period.  Looked like Robinson was on his stomach most of the period and was almost turned with a tilt.  Not a bad showing for just his 2nd college match.  He'll continue to get better, but since he isn't doing it full time I don't expect him to beat the top guys.

Black is a carbon copy of Bobby Telford of Iowa. He is going to be a force at HWT in the years to come. He scored an escape & a riding time point to win 2-0.

Gelen was unable to ride him at all & never came close to getting out from underneith. He is going to have to drastically improve his skills on the mat to become a legit contender at the college level.

But don't get me wrong, being a 2 sport athlete in college is an extremely difficult task that I myself cannot even comprehend. I think he is awesome & wish him the best of luck going forward. I just wanted to give my take on the match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.