Where did Sean McMurray end up after MSU

Jayruss

Seems like a really big trend in Indiana for all of our big-name studs that can't cut it academically at a Division-I university end up training and fighting in MMA. I can think of Jarred Brooks and Devon Jackson just to name a few. 

Seems like a really big trend in Indiana for all of our big-name studs that can't cut it academically at a Division-I university end up training and fighting in MMA. I can think of Jarred Brooks and Devon Jackson just to name a few. 

Well Brooks and Jackson were fighting amateur MMA throughout their High School career.  So for those two I'm thinking they were already interested in going the MMA route at some point.  They just ended up forgoing the commitments of college wrestling (not sure on the academic side of things) in order to put more effort into their MMA interests sooner.

Well Brooks and Jackson were fighting amateur MMA through their High School career.  So for those too I'm thinking they were interested in going the MMA route at some point.  They just ended up forgoing the commitments of college wrestling (not sure on the academic side of things) in order to put more time more effort into their MMA interests sooner.

Im know Grammar xpert butt dis commint iz purtenear unlegibal.

Im know Grammar xpert butt dis commint iz purtenear unlegibal.

Fixed a few minor things that got jumbled when trying to quickly voice to text through my phone.  Not sure any of it was so far off you couldn't understand the original point, but I hope the modifications help you out.

The list of Indiana kids not making it through college would be endless. MMA is an option, just not at the top.

There are many reasons why kids do not make it through college wrestling, academics being a part of it. Im actually surprised that anyone makes it through college wrestling at all, especially D1. Lack of decent scholarships, time involved for no pro future (except mma), and serious injuries (college men are WAY stronger than high school boys). Anyhow unless you've experienced college wrestling you prolly shouldnt call out people for the decisions they make. 

I agree with much of your post regarding college wrestling except for the time involved for no pro future.  College athletics shouldn't be looked at as a stepping stone for a professional athletics career.  I think you have to be foolish to look at it in those terms quite frankly.  Athletics should be used as a tool to get college paid for or for a student to get accepted to a university they ordinarily wouldn't have a chance of gaining admittance.  I actually had this very talk with a former state champion's father and although the wrestler in question didn't have what most people would consider a successful college career, he did graduate from an Ivy League school and is winning the battle so to speak, as he's gainfully employed and is able to walk in to most interviews with a leg up because of his education.  

Getting beat up and having injuries on a day to day basis and participating in a sport that no one outside of us crazy people and your family cares about is hard, but those who get that parchment paper are that much more prepared for future success, and I'm not talking about parchment paper with General Studies at the top! 

I like the fact that you pointed out it can get you to a university which you prolly wouldnt have gained acceptance to. I agree that college athletics shouldnt be used as a stepping stone, I actually believe big time athletics, such as football and basketball should be taken out of the college world entirely. Use a minor league system , too many classroom seats and scholarship $ is  wasted on "pro wannabe be" football and basketball players. Even though very FEW of them will ever make it anyway.I just used the no pro future label in my earlier post to emphasize there isnt much $ to be made in the sport. How few collegiate guys even get decent coaching jobs? Some guys are ready to move on and make $ to earn a living. 

And Im sorry I think I hijacked this post with my rant.

I like the fact that you pointed out it can get you to a university which you prolly wouldnt have gained acceptance to. I agree that college athletics shouldnt be used as a stepping stone, I actually believe big time athletics, such as football and basketball should be taken out of the college world entirely. Use a minor league system , too many classroom seats and scholarship $ is  wasted on "pro wannabe be" football and basketball players. Even though very FEW of them will ever make it anyway.I just used the no pro future label in my earlier post to emphasize there isnt much $ to be made in the sport. How few collegiate guys even get decent coaching jobs? Some guys are ready to move on and make $ to earn a living. 

that'll never happen.....i wouldn't be surprised that in some schools the the money that is made from athletics rivals money made off of tuition.....ticket sales, concessions, clothing, sponsorships, licensing agreements, man i bet at the big schools the take on that is unbelievable.......

I agree that college athletics shouldnt be used as a stepping stone, I actually believe big time athletics, such as football and basketball should be taken out of the college world entirely. Use a minor league system , too many classroom seats and scholarship $ is  wasted on "pro wannabe be" football and basketball players. 

I probably agree more with college basketball being a joke in terms of academics, due to the one-and-done rule.  I think a lot more football players get their degree before the NFL than NBA players.  I know some schools recruit the types of kids who want to finish their degree (Stanford, Duke, ND, Northwestern, etc.).  Graduation rate is important to some schools.  

I agree with much of your post regarding college wrestling except for the time involved for no pro future.  College athletics shouldn't be looked at as a stepping stone for a professional athletics career.  I think you have to be foolish to look at it in those terms quite frankly.  Athletics should be used as a tool to get college paid for or for a student to get accepted to a university they ordinarily wouldn't have a chance of gaining admittance.  I actually had this very talk with a former state champion's father and although the wrestler in question didn't have what most people would consider a successful college career, he did graduate from an Ivy League school and is winning the battle so to speak, as he's gainfully employed and is able to walk in to most interviews with a leg up because of his education.  

Getting beat up and having injuries on a day to day basis and participating in a sport that no one outside of us crazy people and your family cares about is hard, but those who get that parchment paper are that much more prepared for future success, and I'm not talking about parchment paper with General Studies at the top! 

Thank You for this post. More people are becoming aware of the concept of student/athlete. My experience is exactly as you describe. We taught our children to use sports as a vehicle to help take you into and through the real world. My children never planned on careers in professional sports unless it was as a professional sports statistician. My son graduated from the University of Chicago(DIII Wrestling) with a degree in Economics with a Minor concentration in statistics. A combination of hard work in the class room and on the mat in high school open up this opportunity to be accepted at U of C. He is currently gainfully employed in the Finance world in Los Angeles and still dreaming of one day being a statistician for a major professional sports franchise, but not a professional player. Wrestling took him from point "A" to point "B" (College) point "B" to Point "C" (Great Job) to Point "D"(Future Statistics JOB) to Point E F G..... and so on.

Once Again THANK YOU  James D, Schoettle Sr 

Edited by Oscar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.