Arsenal Tech Sectional

Coach Brown

With my more limited knowledge this year, I'll take a stab at it. Obviously Perry will run away with this team-wise again, but the other three spots in each weight class should be very competitive among the rest of the wrestlers. I've always said, that though this sectional lacks depth, it does not wont for top-end excitement and talent.

106: 1. Nier PM, 2. Rhoades Southport, 3. Gee, PK, 4. Bowling Tech

Looks like seeds hold true, obviously upsets can occur, but I think this is the most likely outcome.

113: 1. Servies, PM 2. McMillian, PK, 3. Sharp, BR, 4. Beikes, Southport

Sharp is a good grappler and could get second, but he could also end up in fourth. I think 2-4 are pretty close here.

120: 1. Elliot, PM (easily), 2. Rutledge, SP, 3. McMillian, PK, 4. Garcia, SCE

Not a very deep weight class here as it falls off after Rutledge. 3-4 are really up for grabs

126: 1. Uk, PM 2. Siener, CR, 3. Daniels, PK, 4. Beikes, SP

Another one where the top one is pretty secure, but the next three are almost interchangable.

132: 1. Napier, PM 2-4 ??

Honestly, don't know enough to guess beyond this

138: 1. James, PM, 2. Donlan, SCE, 3. Nunez, PK, 4. Bodies, Tech

1-3, pretty confident on here, number 4 could be a close call between Bodies, Washington's Anderson, and Ping from Southport

145: 1. Warren, PM, 2. Wright, SP, 3. Stock, PK, 4. Ferguson, Washington/Graham, Manual

First, I'm pretty sure on, 2-3 will be a close semifinal and Ferguson-Graham will come down to who wins in the Quarters as both are talented wrestlers with Ferguson having the edge on strength, but Graham being a bit more technically sound.

152: 1. Johnson, PM 2. Walker, PK, 3. Johnson, Howe, 4. Gladney, Tech

PM's reign continues here as Johnson will win this weight. I do think Gladney can beat Walker if he wrestles well in the other semi, but if he loses, I'll take Avione Johnson from Howe to repeat as the third place winner, getting revenge over his conference loss just as he did last year (Sorry Coach Brown, going with my boy here!)

160: 1. Briggeman, CR, 2. Milner, PM, 3. Jones, Howe, 4. Beyer, SPWY

Finally a non-Falcon Champ! Milner should beat Jones in the other semi because Jones is very raw, but has a freaky amount of strength for a 160-pounder and could certainly pull an upset or two. I'll go with Beyer just to give Speedway some love, Hard times on the west side it looks like.

170: 1.Marion, PM, 2. Stewart, Howe, 3. Wilson, SCE, 4. Willis, CA

One of the more competitive weights at this sectional as I really believe any of Marion, Stewart and Wilson can win it. I gave the edge to Marion as he is trained in one of the best rooms in the state and probably is much better than his record indicates. 

182: 1. Kaiser, CR, 2. Clark, SP, 3. Marion, PM, 4. Gonzalez, Washington

Another Raider getting a crown! Gonzalez is a tough competitor and can beat Clark if he comes ready, but I believe Marion is likely the 2nd best wrestler at this weight, just on the wrong side of the bracket. Special shout out to Zaccai Robinson who is definitely better than his record indicates. This is a deep weight at Tech.

195: 1. Tonte, PM, 2-4, ?

Wow! 6 wrestlers. Don't know enough to say who wins between Graham and Moore, though it will likely be Moore. Couldn't even make a guess as to who ends up in 4th. I'm sure it will be competitive though.

220: 1. Schjoll, PM, 2. Osborne, Wash. 3. Schultz, Manual, 4. Bowles, NW

Many of these wrestlers are tough competitors. Osborne looks really good when I have seen him and Schultz is a very strong wrestler that I think will get a couple of upsets to snag 3rd place. Bowles has a million mile an hour motor (hated the matches between him and my wrestlers because he just never stops coming at you). Unfortunately for him, I think this backfires on him as Schultz can throw anyone and too much forward pressure=big throws.

285: 1. Jackson, PK, 2. Ridle, PM 3. Dade, CR, 4. Penman, NW

Jackson is solid and should win this one. Dade is a good wrestler and Penman is so athletic for a Heavyweight and doesn't have a quit button either which is why I'll take him to upset someone and sneak into Regionals.

Looks like Pike will take 2nd again followed by Southport, then Ritter.

Best of luck to all the athletes and coaches this weekend! Should be some great competition!

According to Joe there are 92!

I would bet this is the all-time high, but I'm not sure.

I looked at the stats that were compiled by Joe and it seems that way. For whatever reason this seems to be the case. I was looking the the number of participating team by IHSAA for Sectionals and Tech has the largest with 14 participating teams. Some sectionals only have 8 teams listed for instance the Lawrence Central Sectionals. This may have something to do with the correlation with the number of FF in the respected weight classes.

The number of forfeits is definitely due to the fact there are 14 teams in the sectional. That being said, the reason there are 14 teams in the sectional is due to the fact that it is common for the teams in this sectional to have a lot of forfeits. If there was a sectional with only 8 of these teams, many wrestlers would advance just due to forfeits

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.