Jeffersonville Sectional preview

powerhalf

Season recap: New Albany started the year off not quite living up to expectations but they found their stride as of late. Jeffersonville and Floyd have quite a bit of youth and new varsity wrestlers in the lineup and their seasons have been up and down as one would expect. Corydon went from a player in the sectional to nearly invisible, the losses of Kauffer, Lahue, Kopp and Robinson were huge as all 4 should have been going to semi-state.

State hopefuls: Noah Franklin New Washington, Tristan Selmer Floyd Central, Hunter Castleberry New Albany, Bryant Haynes Charlestown, Tre Lynch New Albany

None are locks and will need a few breaks to do it but I am saying there is a chance

Sectional Champ locks: Aaron Gohl New Albany, Stephen Jones Jeffersonville

Outta nowhere (3 seed or worse): Sean Brown Floyd Central, David Brann Corydon Central, Josh Rinzel Providence

While Brown is the best of this bunch the big boys may have the best chance at an upset title.

Now the picks

106  Gohl should roll

Aaron Gohl New Albany
Robbie Stein Eastern
Trenton Cunningham Floyd Central
Evan Rogers Providence

113 The gem matchup of the sectional

Noah Franklin New Washington
Tristan Sellmer Floyd Central
Dakota Erickson New Albany
Tanner Smith Charlestown

120 Jones catches grief for this class being down at conference and sectional but he is a quality wrestler and deserves more credit

Stephen Jones Jeffersonville
Wayne Nicholas Floyd Central
Matt Moseley New Washington
Jonathon Davey New Albany

126 Bradford is the top dawg here

Romerro Bradford New Albany
Brant Stewart Eastern
Chase Shalosky Floyd Central
Darian Zeis Charlestown

132 The nastiest weight class from top to bottom.

James Wise New Washington
Tristin Dowell New Albany
Sean Brown Floyd Central
Cameron Hopson Charlestown

138 Another Castleberry and Crowl matchup goes to Castleberry

Hunter Castleberry New Albany
Tyler Crowl Floyd Central
Josh Sauer Jeffersonville
Logan Gurr Charlestown

145 Haynes hangs another loss on his Mid-Southern Conference rival

Bryant Haynes Charlestown
Ezra Paden Corydon Central
Freddie Hudson Jeffersonville
Max Hauser Floyd Central

152 Lynch stays on his feet this weekend and brings a title home

Tre Lynch New Albany
Brayden Hoke Floyd Central
Donovan Smith Jeffersonville
Tristan Blackwell New Washington

160 Mowery comes through as a 2 seed

Dalton Mowery New Albany
Jacob Blackwell New Washington
Bryan Simpson Jeffersonville
Zach Rodgers Floyd Central

170 Frederick bests the young and talented Jolley-Little

D Frederick New Albany
Dylan Jolley-Little Jeffersonville
Karl Hauser Floyd Central
Tyler Olsen Charlestown

182 Very interesting matchup with brawn v quickness.

Zach Higdon Charlestown
Matt Hayes Providence
David Harrison New Albany
Bradley Phillpott Floyd Central

195 Thompson takes the top spot over his arch rival Bulldog foe

Chase Thompson Jeffersonville
Jaden Sonner New Albany
Josh Harvey Floyd Central
Zach Brough Eastern

220 Wide open weight class I wouldn't bet a penny on

Chad McClanahan New Albany
Nathan Long Jeffersonville
David Brann Corydon Central
Tobin Smith Floyd Central

Hwt  One move two seconds, who knows.

Patrick Landrum New Albany
Evan Hickerson Jeffersonville
Josh Rinzel Providence
Robby Leuthart Corydon Central

Are you serious? 132 is Dowell! Brown and wise are gonna get a clinic! Dawgs take sectionals, hands down!!!!!

I've never seen someone brag on their kid like you do. If he's that good, other people would be talking about him. He got manhandled twice at the MD Classic. Now that was a clinic!

Typical response from a mater dei parent also I see! Brag on my kid? Really?

132 - Tristen Dowell (20-4) placed 4th and scored 15.00 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by major decision over Alec MacLennan (Franklin Community ) 4-6 (MD 14-3)

Quarterfinal - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by fall over Hunter Jones (New Palestine) 4-5 (Fall 1:48)

Semifinal - Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei) 10-0 won by fall over Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 (Fall 1:20)

Cons. Semi - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by decision over Sean Brown (Floyd Central) 12-4 (Dec 5-3)

3rd Place Match - Austin Bethel (Mt Vernon) 17-2 won by decision over Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 (Dec 5-0)

It's difficult to gauge one's ability based upon how they do against Lee.  Dowell got beat by Bethel 5-0.  Bethel is very tough, but I didn't see the match.  As you know, there are 5-0 matches that are very close, some, not close at all.

He beat Sean Brown 5-3...not exactly a clinic.  

Dowell has subsequently spanked Brown?  How did he do against Wise?

I've never seen someone brag on their kid like you do. If he's that good, other people would be talking about him. He got manhandled twice at the MD Classic. Now that was a clinic!

I'm just pumped for the franklin sellmer match!

Argeed As long as Sellmer can stay out of the headlock it should be a very exciting and fun match to watch.

My apologies, thank you for taking time to give us a great review on Jeff sectional. 132 is gonna be a tough weIght class. Dowell hasn't wrestled wise, beat Brown 15-8 in the HHC finals last meeting, beat Hopson by fall. I am a proud parent. Again, my apologies. Nice review!

132 - Tristen Dowell (20-4) placed 4th and scored 15.00 team points.

Champ. Round 1 - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by major decision over Alec MacLennan (Franklin Community ) 4-6 (MD 14-3)

Quarterfinal - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by fall over Hunter Jones (New Palestine) 4-5 (Fall 1:48)

Semifinal - Nick Lee (Evansville Mater Dei) 10-0 won by fall over Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 (Fall 1:20)

Cons. Semi - Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 won by decision over Sean Brown (Floyd Central) 12-4 (Dec 5-3)

3rd Place Match - Austin Bethel (Mt Vernon) 17-2 won by decision over Tristen Dowell (New Albany ) 20-4 (Dec 5-0)

It's difficult to gauge one's ability based upon how they do against Lee. Dowell got beat by Bethel 5-0. Bethel is very tough, but I didn't see the match. As you know, there are 5-0 matches that are very close, some, not close at all.

He beat Sean Brown 5-3...not exactly a clinic.

Dowell has subsequently spanked Brown? How did he do against Wise?

Having seen all parties involved, Wise, Dowell and Brown, I feel as stated above that on the right day any of the three can win. I look forward to a fantastic weight class and exciting semi-final and finals matchups. With that being said, I feel Wise will pull it out and his scrambling ability very well could play a determining factor.

I'm sure we will all be disappointed tomo. Someone won't make weight and the concession stand will run out of pork... swear to god they will. Seeding crilteria should be like the FBS. Strength of schedule should be involved. Many one seeds not gunna be champs or make the finals. That's a lock

Great job by New Albany today getting the win. First sectional title for NA since Burres's era. Lots of great matches and very competitive im most weights. It was the NA, FC, and Jeff show in the finals.

Officiating was sub par today. I never thought I would say it but, I wanted Rosbottom, Mitch, Black, and Donniebaker as officials!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.