Sectionals placing the unseeded wrestlers

ENoblewrestling

Unseeded wrestlers are drawn into the 7th and 8th seed spots, those spots have an equal chance to draw a bye.  

The IHSAA did not approve that as we looked into it a couple years ago.

My mistake - An unseeded wrestler does have a chance to draw a bye, but it is a statistically lower chance than a seeded wrestler.

The IHSAA did not formally approve it.  It was more of a phone call... Tournament Director: "Hey, can we do this?"  IHSAA: "Yeah, that makes sense."  I'm not surprised that there isn't a record of their "approval".  Since most at the IHSAA don't understand wrestling, whoever words the question to them is likely to get the answer they are hoping for.

My mistake - An unseeded wrestler does have a chance to draw a bye, but it is a statistically lower chance than a seeded wrestler.

The IHSAA did not formally approve it.  It was more of a phone call... Tournament Director: "Hey, can we do this?"  IHSAA: "Yeah, that makes sense."  I'm not surprised that there isn't a record of their "approval".  Since most at the IHSAA don't understand wrestling, whoever words the question to them is likely to get the answer they are hoping for.

Each of the 8 wrestlers that are placed in the bracket have an equal shot at a bye. Obviously when six are seeded and two unseeded, it is more likely that a wrestler drawn in will get a seeded opponent.

Our athletic director contacted the IHSAA about this a few years ago and was told we cannot do it. I even contacted another AD that runs a sectional that does it and he said they never got permission from the IHSAA. Our AD was told this would need to be a proposal from the IHSWCA, maybe this would be a better proposal than trying to get the travel rule changed or an additional weigh in for team state.

maybe this would be a better proposal than trying to get the travel rule changed or an additional weigh in for team state.

I hope you mean it would be a more likely accepted proposal (rather than "better").  The travel rule or weigh-in exemption would be enormous, don't you thinki?

I hope you mean it would be a more likely accepted proposal (rather than "better").  The travel rule or weigh-in exemption would be enormous, don't you thinki?

The travel rule isn't going to get changed by the IHSWCA. It will take football or basketball, or a handful of coaches associations getting together to get it changed.

The extra weigh-in has already been nixed a couple times...so I don't see that changing any time soon unless Faulkens has had a change of heart.

If you look closely at the larger brackets, it's clear that some of the sectionals are giving bye in the first round to #1 and #2 wrestlers and putting the unseeded wrestlers to face each other first.  It may not be proper protocol, but unofficially they are taking care of the issue

If you look closely at the larger brackets, it's clear that some of the sectionals are giving bye in the first round to #1 and #2 wrestlers and putting the unseeded wrestlers to face each other first.  It may not be proper protocol, but unofficially they are taking care of the issue

And thus that is the reason our coaches association gets nowhere with the IHSAA. They have procedures in place for the state tournament draw and coaches/AD's are not following them. When coaches decide to follow the procedures set by the IHSAA, it will be a glorious day for wrestling.

I agree with Joe, coaches need to start following the rules. Too many coaches are trying to skirt the rules and most of the time if you turn them in, the only one that gets hurt are the student athletes.

Our athletic director contacted the IHSAA about this a few years ago and was told we cannot do it. I even contacted another AD that runs a sectional that does it and he said they never got permission from the IHSAA. Our AD was told this would need to be a proposal from the IHSWCA, maybe this would be a better proposal than trying to get the travel rule changed or an additional weigh in for team state.

Then I was either lied to or the IHSAA was inconsistent with their answers.

I agree people shouldn't whine when they aren't good enough to get seeded in the top 6.

Just because a kid that should be a 2 seed complains about drawing into a 1 seed doesn't mean he is most wimpiest.

See we will never agree because our philosophy is different. The fact that you think because someone's record seems worse they are not good enough. Remember strength of schedule is not factored in. So a 21-11 7th seed may have 8 losses to ranked guys where as the 2nd seed is 20-3 and only wrestled one ranked guy. The second seed may not be better. We see it every year. Anyone complaining about their draw should have taken care of business during the regular season. That's what I meant. As for the stupid comment....stupid is as stupid does Mr. Troll.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.