Stalling

BAD KARMA

It seems as though the refs are allowing so much stalling on bottom regardless of wether bottom man is ahead or behind I was always led to believe bottom man has to try to better his position rather than balling up or flatting out regardless of score any incite on this

Are refs calling stalling anywhere.   I think in our conference tournament, I didnt see a stalling point called.  Maybe a handful of warnings.   I really thinks were seeing a trend where were seeing less stalling calls.   I was frustrated where kids where just backing up on their feet,  And the ref calls nothing.   Does anybody agree. 

One of the biggest problems with this is the fact that everyone wants stalling called, as long as it's not against them. More stalling should be called, especially in the first two periods, but coaches have accept that it is going to get called against them and stop complaining so much when it does.

In just the last to two weeks I've seen at least 8 or 9 matches where one wrestler immediately backs up to the line on the whistle. 

They then avoid the other wrestler. The man who was backing up then gets ahead a couple points and stalls out to the end by back up to the line and jumping out of bounds. 

Made for some very long and dull matches.

I've noticed some refs won't call stalling until it will determine the winner of a match (the 3rd period) while the wrestler(s) were stalling the entire match. 

yes the inconsistent calls are more prevalent than ever . it really sucks when you see the hard work these boys put in only to have a ref who has bad technique, or does not get into position(for various reasons) in time or just has no business being a ref period cost a kid a match. honestly it seems we are getting worse at officiating not better. REFS please  do not make a call just to make a call you are not the focus!!!!!!!!!!!! let them WRESTLE the athletes will decide the match the ref should not. As the great Vince Lombardi used to say the best referees are the ones you never hear anything about .............................

One of the biggest problems with this is the fact that everyone wants stalling called, as long as it's not against them. More stalling should be called, especially in the first two periods, but coaches have accept that it is going to get called against them and stop complaining so much when it does.

I agree about the complaining from the coaches.    When refs call Stalling, it generates more action and excitement in the match.  I think it should be an emphasis of conversation at the officials meetings and associations.

I do not care if they call stalling at anytime in the match or if they don't call it at all.  I don't care if they call 1 second pins or if it is 2 seconds for the pin.  I just wish there was more consistency in the calls from one ref to the other.  I don't know if that means there needs to be more clinics or more computer training explaining the rules with recorded matches showing examples.  I get that it is getting harder and harder to get people to ref, but it doesn't mean the quality has to suffer.  If everyone is on the same page there is less for coaches to complain about. 

The IHSWCA and the Ref's association work to bring ref's and coaches together in the fall. I participated this year and it was a neat experience. There's a coaches panel where coaches and refs have open discussions about things like stalling, takedowns, etc.

The meeting I was in did talk a lot about stalling. 

Hopefully this continues to grow and more coaches and ref's participate. 

Opening dialogue can do nothing but improve the sport

One of the funniest things I see in gyms every weekend is the Coach that immediately wants a stalling call for backing up in neutral, not coming off the hips on top, or not coming up on bottom but when their wrestler does the exact same thing and stalling is call its the worst call the ref made all day.  If coaches want refs to be more consistent at calling stalling maybe coaches should be more objective in their views on stalling calls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.