Flowrestling talking Ersland as Coach of the Year

I am not convinced yet at this point. These next few weeks are going to be telling. I finally took a few minutes

to look at the results this year and last, talked to various people familiar with the program. Some common things I hear when looking at this year vs. last:

* The hire of Tyrel Todd as an assistant was great, it's showing in the recruiting. It goes to show limitations that the previous head coach

was dealing with; it was common knowledge that Jesse and Hinkle, were not afforded the luxury of choosing their own assistants. 

Also, how does Purdue not already have a volunteer assistant coach or Grad Assistant in place? That needs to be a priority.

* Purdue did not wrestle Wisconsin last year (loss this year), and Northwestern (Win this year), but when you have NW giving up forfeits, that helps.  

Purdue also lost Iowa and Minnesota from their schedule this year - who are #1 & #2...I'll take that trade :)

Against common opponents results are not that much different. Purdue beat Chattanooga by similar score, and that's with Cashe losing last year;

Nebraska. similar score, and that's with Cashe getting caught in a cradle after being up.  Northern Iowa was a nice win, but Northern Iowa lost a lot of

ranked guys, including two AA's, from last years undefeated squad. 

It's tough to tell improvement on a tournament sense as they are wrestling in totally different tournaments this year.  However, last year they finished

13th at Midlands last year and 16th this year. Midlands was a great deal stronger last year, but Atwood did not wrestle this year.

* Toward the end of the dual season last year, I thought the 2014 squad was wrestling pretty darn good with good intensity, with some

great televised matches with some Tip 15 teams like Ohio State, Illinois.  The killer was not placing any AA's last year.

* Wrestlers / Development - If I am not mistaken, I thought at least one, if not both of the Welch Twins were hurt for most of last year. Nice to have them back

in full duty.   Sabatello is wrestling very good, and has benefitted from dropping down to 133 from 141. 

Not sure if it depth, but it seams the other Big Ten teams are doing a better job or rotating guys in the line-up. I heard 184 Redshirt freshman Jacob Morrissey

is going to be a hammer.  I am not sure of their plan at 149 with Nelson and Griffin but I heard wrestle-offs were close; both have been in and out of the line-up. 

I don't understand, if the wrestle-offs at 133 between Sabatello and Ayersman were so close, and Sabetello is wrestling so well, why isn't Purdue getting Ayersman

matches at 133 or 141?  I was told the 125 wrestle-offs were pretty close with Assad, and Welch; freshman Thorton is finally growing into a college 125lbr.

Was at the match today in Ohio today. So much for coach of the year. I thought the Boilers put up a much better fight last year. Going to be an interesting 2-3 weeks. Nice match by Nelson and Doug Welch.

Gelen was a bit winded, but had 2 takedowns. Not bad for 29 days in the wrestling room, which in itself is something that puzzles me about line up selection...

How much does Ayersman weigh? If he doesn't have much to cut and is naturally 133 could he possibly drop to 125?

I don't know exactly, but reports from what I hear he is much, much bigger like 20lbs over his senior year high school weight, and already passing 133