Ersland USAW interview

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2015/January/22/Coach-Tony-Ersland-looking-to-make-big-impact-at-Purdue

First-year head coach Tony Ersland is looking to build a top-level program at Purdue. Purdue University photos.

Tony Ersland believes it can be done at Purdue.

Spend a few minutes talking with the dynamic and motivated first-year Boilermakers wrestling coach and you will walk away convinced he is right.

“Our expectations are extremely high,” the 40-year-old Ersland said. “We don’t want to just get one or two guys on the podium at the national tournament – we want hammers up and down the lineup. We know it won’t happen overnight, but that’s what we’re building toward. We want to win championships as a team.”

Ersland’s first Purdue squad, as you might expect, has experienced its share of ups and downs while wrestling a tough schedule and competing in the strongest conference in the country.

The Boilermakers earned their first Big Ten win last week with a 22-17 triumph over No. 19 Northwestern.

“That was great for our kids,” Ersland said. “It was a big win for us to beat a top-20 team like Northwestern. We’re a competitive team and we’re making gains.”

Ersland said he hasn’t had much of a break since taking the Purdue job last year.

“It’s been a whirlwind – we pretty much had to hit the ground running,” he said. “We’ve been trying to get the culture the way we want it, and trying to get guys to trust and believe in our message. The guys have embraced us pretty quickly – even better than we expected. It’s been a pretty smooth transition for us.”

Ersland knows plenty about being on top-notch teams. 

A native of Humboldt, Iowa, Ersland wrestled for legendary coach Dan Gable at the University of Iowa. He was a part of three straight NCAA team championships (1995-97) and four Big Ten Championships (1994-97).

During his senior season in 1997, Ersland finished one match shy of All-America honors at 177 pounds.

“I lost to Mark Smith of Oklahoma State, in overtime in the round of 12. He was the No. 1 seed,” Ersland said. “It was heartbreaking. That loss maybe put a little bit of a chip on my shoulder. It’s helped motivate me, and it drives me as a coach to help kids realize their potential.”

Ersland has certainly paid his dues as a college assistant, with stints at Central Michigan, Northern Illinois and Northwestern before serving the previous eight seasons at the University of Nebraska.

Ersland worked closely with Nebraska coach Mark Manning over the previous eight seasons.

“Mark has a great work ethic, and you obviously have to work very hard as a head coach at this level,” Ersland said. “He’s a great recruiter. He really connects with young men and can really talk to kids about the opportunities they have with a college program. I learned a lot during my time with Mark Manning.”

Among Ersland’s pupils with the Huskers were Olympic gold medalist and two-time World champion Jordan Burroughs along with two-time NCAA finalist Craig Brester.

He also worked with Hodge Trophy winner and World silver medalist Jake Herbert at Northwestern.

Ersland returned to Nebraska when Purdue battled the Huskers in a dual meet earlier this month.

“It was kind of emotional going back to Lincoln,” Ersland said. “I spent eight years there, and we have so many good friends at the university as well as in the community. It was tremendous to see everyone. My sons were born there, and I have great memories from my time there.”

Purdue dropped the dual meet at Nebraska, but Boilermaker junior Doug Welch turned in a huge win for his team after upsetting then-No. 2 James Green, a three-time All-American, 5-4 in overtime at 157 pounds.

Welch is now ranked No. 9 nationally.

“Doug has been gathering momentum and confidence,” Ersland said. “He placed at Midlands, and then he followed it up with a great match against James Green. And then he had a good win over (past All-American and No. 7) Dylan Alton of Penn State. His expectations are to win every time he steps on the mat. He still has a lot of work to do, but he’s making progress.”

Doug Welch is one of three Welch brothers on the Purdue team along with his twin brother, Chad, and his younger brother, Luke, a freshman.

Purdue junior Danny Sabatello (133 pounds) also has jumped into the national rankings at No. 11 after knocking off No. 7 Jimmy Gulibon of Penn State 6-0. Purdue senior Braden Atwood, a three-time NCAA qualifier, is ranked 13th at 197.

Ersland said he’s been impressed with the resources he has at his disposal at Purdue.

“I’m extremely happy with the support from our administration,” he said. “We have everything you need to be successful here. I’m also very fortunate and blessed to have the coaching staff I have. Tyrel Todd and Zach Tanelli are very good coaches who were both All-Americans in college.

“We are in a good location and we have everything a kid needs to be successful. Kids should know you can come to Purdue and win a national championship, and you can get the type of degree that opens doors for the rest of your life.”

Ersland’s team is enjoying a rare weekend off from competition, but the Purdue coach won’t be home relaxing. He will be hitting the recruiting trail.

“There are a lot of really great wrestlers in the area close to us,” he said. “Indiana had three Cadet National champions in Fargo last year. There are some good opportunities to recruit some good kids in this state. Plus you have Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, three really strong wrestling states, right there next to us. And we’ll recruit nationally as well, so there are some great opportunities for us to attract some really good kids.”

Landing his first head-coaching job was a long-time goal for Ersland.

“I enjoy it immensely,” he said. “I spent a lot of years as an assistant coach, and realizing one of your dreams by becoming a head coach is extremely gratifying. We obviously have a lot of work to do to get where we want to be, but I’m very excited to see what happens here at Purdue.”