Things I have learned over the last 4 years

jchas

1)  If you can't keep your mouth shut. ( and I can't)  Sit or stand far away from the mat.

2)  You think your coaching during the match is helping...   It's not!

3)  Don't talk to much on the message board.

4)  Don't pay to much attention to the rankings.

5)  Don't expect more from others than you do of yourself.

6)  Regular season losses are almost never a bad thing.

7)  The ticket round at Semi-State is the most stressful match of the year!

8)  Let you son decide what type of wrestler he is going to be.

9)  Surround him with good people and step back.

10) It goes way to fast.  Make sure you and your son enjoy the ride.

They have my son listed as a junior on this site, and every time I see it I really wish it were true!!!! Sometimes I don't know who'll miss it more! Can you imagine a wrestling meet if everyone in the stands had already learned these valuable lessons? Lol

wow......did you write that with me in mind?........lol......those are all so spot on........1, 2 and 10 really hit home with me.......my boys started wrestling at jimtown in their kids club about 12 years ago.......12 years!........i remember it like it was yesterday and now we are about 1 month from being finished with high school wrestling......i can't say enough about what wrestling has done for both of my boys.......they are both great young men and a lot of that has to do with this sport and the great coaches they had to mentor them along the way....

11) Never approach your wrestler directly after a match. He will find you when ready.

Great post.. Everyone that knows me knows that's the main one I had to work on. You do miss it alot after your kids is done. Spent every weekend/weekday somewhere wrestling being in state or out of state for 12 years. I sure learned alot in those years and met alot of great people.

1 thing that always stuck with me was about 10 years ago Tonte saying it's not a sprint it's a marathon. Sad part is one day your kid crosses the finish line.

Addition to #1: If you cannot adhere to Rule #1, and are asked to leave the gym, do not argue back, just leave quietly.....

No, no, no, I recommend making a scene! That way you are sure to get your own personal topic on the board within a couple hours or minutes if you are lucky.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.