Perry Meridian @ Cathedral tonight at 7p

Missing my main man Thornton right about now. No Cathedral - Perry thread until a couple hours before this meat grinder dual?? Man, times are changing.  

I know the Irish didn't give the Falcons much in the State Duals, but you never know what you are going to get in this one. Should be an excellent rematch of top 120s with Breyden Bailey and Cornelious Elliott. Will we get to see a Tonte vs. Stewart New Castle Semi-state Ticket Round Rematch? Will the addition of Guhl at 220 to the Irish line-up change any outcomes?

It is always exciting (and sometimes nasty) between the best of the North and the South. See you tonight. Go Irish!

If I recall correctly, last time Perry came to Cathedral, they didn't bring half of their starters. We are looking forward to good matches so hopefully they have respect and show up.

when was this? I've never known Perry not to use there #1s against cathedral.

If they did I highly doubt it was due to lack of respect for the Irish.

Started out with a heck of a match with Tonte and Stewart both moving up to 195. 1-1 score with a stalling call at :01 in 3rd. Final 2-1 Tonte.

It looks like Stewart is back for sure.

220- Rypel with pin over Schjoll

Hwt- R Guhl 3-1 over Riddle

106- fall Perry

Team score 9-9

126- Uk over Melloh 9-7 - I can't wait to watch Melloh over the next few years

132- Napier 11-2 over D Stewart although many thought Napier should have been DQ'd after a smack to the face and a head butt.

Team score 15-16 Perry

138- James tech over Lozano 21-15 Perry

I'll would usually never be critical of any stalling calls in a 2-1 match, but it begs to question the Stewart - Tonte match. Isn't there some sort of unwritten officiating ethic that says you can't give a stalling caution with under 10 seconds to go in the 3rd to decide a tight match among the state's best? In my opinion, the referee should not determine the outcome with the subjectivity of stalling cautions with :01 in the 3rd. I think most referees will give a kid at least 20 seconds to redeem himself with a last second flurry instead of stalling him out when the horn blows.  

If that match goes to overtime and he hits Stewart with a stalling in the first overtime, I would have been good with it. Either way, those two are a coin flip every time.

I'll would usually never be critical of any stalling calls in a 2-1 match, but it begs to question the Stewart - Tonte match. Isn't there some sort of unwritten officiating ethic that says you can't give a stalling caution with under 10 seconds to go in the 3rd to decide a tight match among the state's best? In my opinion, the referee should not determine the outcome with the subjectivity of stalling cautions with :01 in the 3rd. I think most referees will give a kid at least 20 seconds to redeem himself with a last second flurry instead of stalling him out when the horn blows.  

If that match goes to overtime and he hits Stewart with a stalling in the first overtime, I would have been good with it. Either way, those two are a coin flip every time.

So you want the referees to change the rules  with 10 seconds left in the match.  Sorry but rules apply for the whole match.     At the end of matches, its pretty common and more likely for a wrestler with a lead to get real conservative, ball up and stall.  I have no problem with a referee  calling stalling with short time.   If you've been warned, you better get youre butt going.    Look at it this way,  maybe if he didnt call stalling in this situation then the ref would have decided the outcome of match with the subjectivity of a non-call.      Watch the college game, they have no problem hitting All-Americans in the last 10 seconds of a match.   Probabably a good referee who was not afraid to make the right call.

Good points Wrestling Scholar. Here are a couple of lines out of the Preseason bulletin, as stalling is a point of emphasis this year.

"Each wrestler is required to make an honest attempt to stay within the 10-foot circle and wrestle aggressively, regardless of position or the time or score of the match, Action is to be maintained throughout the match by the contestants wrestling aggressively."

A good official knows that not making the stalling call when its called for affects the outcome just as much as making the call. He doesn't watch the clock, he watches the action.

"Stalling should be called anytime in the match that one wrestler is being put at a disadvantage because of inactivity by the other wrestler."

Wrestler builds a substantial lead in the first 2 periods and then hangs on in the third. Just because he was aggressive in the prior periods does not give him the right to shut it down in the 3rd. Stalling should be called whenever it occurs.

I was not at the meet last night, nor do I know who the official was. These are general statements about calling stalling. 

At the end of matches, its pretty common and more likely for a wrestler with a lead to get real conservative, ball up and stall. 

There was no lead, it was 1-1 and the match was decided on the stalling call.    The first call came from Stewart not cutting Tonte fast enough on a stand up early in period 2.  That one is not being debated, I am just explaining it so no one assumes he was hit twice in the 3rd for running in circles or something.   Tonte had him in a collar tie and Stewart was pulling away from it when the call was made.   Stewart had no more incentive to stall than Tonte did at that point in the match.   This should have been decided in OT.  

There was no lead, it was 1-1 and the match was decided on the stalling call.    The first call came from Stewart not cutting Tonte fast enough on a stand up early in period 2.  That one is not being debated, I am just explaining it so no one assumes he was hit twice in the 3rd for running in circles or something.   Tonte had him in a collar tie and Stewart was pulling away from it when the call was made.   Stewart had no more incentive to stall than Tonte did at that point in the match.   This should have been decided in OT.  

If you saw the match Stewart was backing away the entire match, truth be told stalling should have been called a lot earlier. With that said it was a heck of a match and considering this is only Stewarts second week on the mat. Great match by both wrestlers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.