cutting weight

charger.dad

This is probably one of the biggest roadblocks a kid runs in to every year. Do I cut hard to get down to that next weight class and be considered a bigger wrestler for that weight and hopefully do better because I'm bigger and stronger? Without saying it, we all know that you really need to be a good wrestler first or that extra strength and size won't get you the wins you're after. Both of my kids did the same as most others every year and were always cutting weight. Is it worth it? For the first time in all the seasons they've wrestled my youngest sons final high school season is without any weight cutting. I have to say I see a huge difference in his attitude and general health (not surprisingly). He is always in a good mood, always ready to go and never hungry or thirsty. He eats every meal, snacks whenever he wants and pounds down the water and still weighs in 3-4 pounds under weight. At the start of the season his intent was to wrestle 132, then it changed to 138 which he made with very little effort, and then because of needs in our lineup, bumped up to 145. He might not be the biggest 145er but still manages to hang in there. How much of that is from feeling good and being well nourished and hydrated? I think a lot. Had he dropped to 132, would he have done well just because of the size difference? Or if he had stayed at 138 and not really diet but just watch it the day of weigh ins? I guess we'll never know but I do have a different viewpoint now of cutting weight and the pro's and con's of doing so. I'm sure every kid is different and easier weight classes sometimes draw you in, but in the end if you're not healthy I don't see how you can perform as well.

It sounds like you and/or your son made the correct decision.

Of course all athletes should strive for proper nutrition, but there is too much going on in a high school kids life to be skipping meals. (E.g. Schoolwork, practice, body still maturing, etc.).

Ask anyone who cut a significant amount of weight and they will likely have a horror story (or two) for you about fasting for multiple days or how it slowed their wrestling/physical development somewhere along the line.

I heard Farrell from Greenfield didn't cut much weight his senior year of h.s. I watched him at the beginning of the season drop a match or two while he was adjusting to the heavier weight class. He then avenged those losses during the tournament because he was not worried about his weight all year, but instead was lifting and feeling stronger. Of course not everyone is a D1 wrestling prospect, but still an interesting case study.

Good luck to your son this year.

This is my perspective and I believe this wholeheartedly.  A good diet at the beginning or even prior to season starting will put a wrestler in the weight class that he will perform best in.  There is a HUGE difference between cutting weight and losing weight.  This is something many people inside and outside the sport dont seem to understand. (I didnt when I was coming up). If a wrestlers off season weight is 180 and has 15% body fat, should he be on a healthy low fat diet and working his tail off, he will naturally drop enough weight in a healthy way to most likely reach 170 in just a few weeks. Every wrestler will be different in their body make up, but generally a healthy diet and hard work will get you to the correct weight class and be an extremely healthy individual.  Where myself and others run into the biggest problem is the "yo-yo" effect.  180 on Monday, cut to 170 by Friday, up to 175 by Saturday night, back to 180 for Monday. Rinse and Repeat.  Your body has no fuel, no water, spent its energy and basically shut its own metabolism down. Do all our kids listen...haha you know better than that.  Do some get it, yup...and those typically are the kids who dont tire in the 3rd, can wrestle 5 matches hard in one day and do not hate practice near as much as the others. 

This is my perspective and I believe this wholeheartedly.  A good diet at the beginning or even prior to season starting will put a wrestler in the weight class that he will perform best in.  There is a HUGE difference between cutting weight and losing weight.  This is something many people inside and outside the sport dont seem to understand. (I didnt when I was coming up). If a wrestlers off season weight is 180 and has 15% body fat, should he be on a healthy low fat diet and working his tail off, he will naturally drop enough weight in a healthy way to most likely reach 170 in just a few weeks. Every wrestler will be different in their body make up, but generally a healthy diet and hard work will get you to the correct weight class and be an extremely healthy individual.  Where myself and others run into the biggest problem is the "yo-yo" effect.  180 on Monday, cut to 170 by Friday, up to 175 by Saturday night, back to 180 for Monday. Rinse and Repeat.  Your body has no fuel, no water, spent its energy and basically shut its own metabolism down. Do all our kids listen...haha you know better than that.  Do some get it, yup...and those typically are the kids who dont tire in the 3rd, can wrestle 5 matches hard in one day and do not hate practice near as much as the others.

While I tend to agree with you, your scenario does not fit all wrestlers.

Problems arise when a 14, 15, 16, or 17 year old hits a growth spurt and is now cutting down from 185/190/195 to get to 170.

I would rather coach a kid who eats healthy and wrestles near his natural weight and maintains a love of the sport (and good attitude/grades/etc.) -- yet loses a match or two because of being undersized -- than a kid who skips meals, hates practice, always tired and grouchy, but wins every match.

While I tend to agree with you, your scenario does not fit all wrestlers.

Problems arise when a 14, 15, 16, or 17 year old hits a growth spurt and is now cutting down from 185/190/195 to get to 170.

I would rather coach a kid who eats healthy and wrestles near his natural weight and maintains a love of the sport (and good attitude/grades/etc.) -- yet loses a match or two because of being undersized -- than a kid who skips meals, hates practice, always tired and grouchy, but wins every match.

well said.....

It could even be argued that in high school wrestling, if you're good enough to wrestle in college, that will be evident no matter what weight you wrestle.  Then if you go to college, your brain and body are more fully developed and you're theoretically around more people that can help you cut weight effectively with good nutrition once it's necessary in that environment. 

And if you're not good enough to wrestle in college, you might as well enjoy wrestling because it's the last time you'll be doing it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.