Multiple Rivalry Match-ups?

RobLethal

With the recent upset Black pinning Reitz, their rivalry will be closely watched in conference finals, sectional finals, regional finals, and (possibly) semi-state and state finals. Have there been other state-quality rivalries that were battled in 5+ tournaments in a single season? I believe that Cosgrove v. McGill went back and forth a lot.

If not for the bad weather last week Black and Reitz would've also wrestled on Weds too. They should meet again this Sat at conference, the following Sat at Hobart invite, Sectional, and Regional for sure with possibilities of SS and State . So, possible 7 meetings on the year unless they make up their dual then maybe 8. I think McGill and Cosgrove went 7. 

Andrew Bradbury Portage vs Alex Ramos Hobart

Harvest Classic finals

Dual Meet

DAC Finals

Team Regionals

Regionals

Semi State-Where Bradbury knocked off defending Champ Josh Birge in the Ticket Rd

and State Finals

All Won by Ramos very good series between two really great wrestlers

97 jeremy motl of NC placed mutiple times at 215 i believe wrestled scotty gross os shenendoah atleast 5x that year alternating wins all thru semi state...there was a gym clearing riot at doah in sectional finals in which only parents and coaches were later allowed to attend while these 2monsters finished the match...motl got 7th while scotty ended losing in the State championship match...anybody who knows the ol,school motl brothers were always treated when these two were on the mat...not to mention the older brother Eric motl who had wars,with Funkhouser and Kerkoff..motl always beat kerkoff(2x state champ) but,couldnt beat funkhouser...but kerkoff always beat funkhouser but not motl lol styles make match ups and those were awesome..Funkhouser was a Monster at his weight unreal speciman

I think it was 2004, but Hesseltine (Portage) and Naegele (LaPorte) was probably five times and neither was unblemished in the series.

More recently, I remember Gelen Robinson had multiple tete-a-tetes with Jack Seaman freshman year, Tyler Kral sophomore year and seemed to see (and utterly dominate) the same one or two kids in all the big finals before semistate his senior season. Only those first two might count as rivalries. 

My Junior  I wrestled Steve Salinas of SB Clay in the Al smith, A dual meet, sectional, regional, semi-state finals

My senior Year I wrestled Trace Hall of SB Riley in the Sectional, Regional, Semi-State Finals and Third Place Match at state.

Anytime you wrestle that much matches get closer and closer.

The infamous Rosbottom (defending state champ from Jeffersonville) & Jankowski (returning state runner-up from Mater Dei) semi-state quarterfinal came about because Rosbottom had lost at regional to Minton (New Albany).  It was their 6th meeting of the year and Minton kept getting closer and closer before finally knocking him off.  Rosbottom hands Jankowski his only loss of the season in an awful stall-fest nailbiter, then goes on to meet Minton for a 7th and 8th time in the semi-state and state finals...winning both times to finish 7-1 against him and pick up his second state championship.  Interestingly, Jankowski had earlier teched Minton for Minton's only non-Rosbottom loss of the season. 

Bradbury vs Ramos was always fun.  Bradbury wrestled Ramos 13 times between his junior and senior year with the last one being in the state finals match.  Bradbury lost all 13 matches, but I believe that he was winning of those in the 3rd period.

We thought for sure that karma was on his side the 13th time, but Ramos did a great job finishing a match.....again.

I think before Bradbury Ramos Ramos as a Freshman vs Senior Leroy Vega series was instrumental in evolving Ramos to the level he got to . It was one sided. Leroy dominated but I believe 5 of Ramos 8 career losses came to Leroy. He lost to a kid from jimtown and a loss to Penn kid ticket round on a slam I believe. Other than that only a loss to Richardson pm in quarters at state as a soph being his only blemishes. But I think he would say that rivalry or series anyway with Leroy had a lot to do with his dominance there after.

There is a background story to the Vega vs Ramos matches too...but I won't make them public!

The Hesseltine vs Neagle matches were always a blast too. Our staff could never relax because Neagle would rip you head off if he headlocked you.

I remember sitting matside coaching Hesseltine at the state tournament knowing the Neagle had the EMD guy. We heard the crowd erupt as Tharp says, "hmmmm, sounds like a Neagle headlock. We've been there"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.