FoxCatcher Finally coming to Fort Wayne

Bruin106

Saw this movie a few weeks ago in Elkhart.

A very dark and painful movie. People need to remember this is based on a true story and it has a very depressing ending.

It is extremely well-acted and I can understand why it may get several Oscar nominations. It is a very well-done movie, as far as movies go.

But if anybody thinks this is a "feel-good" movie about wrestling, you will be sorely disappointed.

I think sometimes we want to see attention given to our sport, so much, that we just see "wrestling" in the description and ignore the context.

John DuPont did a lot for USA Wrestling, but he was also insane. That's just the fact. And this movie has a true -- and very tragic -- ending.

Parents might actually want to think twice about taking young wrestlers to see this. Don't go if you aren't prepared for what you already know is going to happen.

I REALLY wanted to like this movie but it was just so so. I mean it was about wrestling and that was fun. Seeing some familiar faces on the big screen was nice. Steve Carell (sp?) lost himself in the part. If you didn't know he was who he was you would almost never be able to tell until the credits. To my untrained eye Tatum did a creditable job in the wrestling portions. I liked it, I just wanted to like it more. Still I would support virtually any movie about wrestling. I think anyone involved with wrestling during the Schultz/DuPont days might find the story more fascinating than I did. However you come to the movie the whole thing was a tragedy nonetheless . 

I did see Hammer on Netflix and enjoyed that very much. I suppose its like comparing Rocky with Schindler's List as to how you feel when the movie is over.

Saw this movie a few weeks ago in Elkhart.

A very dark and painful movie. People need to remember this is based on a true story and it has a very depressing ending.

It is extremely well-acted and I can understand why it may get several Oscar nominations. It is a very well-done movie, as far as movies go.

But if anybody thinks this is a "feel-good" movie about wrestling, you will be sorely disappointed.

I think sometimes we want to see attention given to our sport, so much, that we just see "wrestling" in the description and ignore the context.

John DuPont did a lot for USA Wrestling, but he was also insane. That's just the fact. And this movie has a true -- and very tragic -- ending.

Parents might actually want to think twice about taking young wrestlers to see this. Don't go if you aren't prepared for what you already know is going to happen.

very well put and exactly what i thought going in and coming out......you go in pumped up ready for some action and leave kind of disappointed and feeling like this was not a movie that will bring any good attention to the sport......quite a story though.....it kind of just drags on and then the end totally catches you off guard, unless you knew the whole story to begin with.....steve carrell did quite a job in his acting on this one.....

Maybe this will help?

Posted December 27, 2014 - 04:45 AM

I saw the movie tonight and I will see it again. One thing to keep in mind when you read this is that I know Mark Schultz and knew Dave Schultz and John DuPont. I had been on the farm and in the mansion a couple of times. I'm not asking anyone to agree nor am I looking for a debate. It's just my take on it and maybe a little history.

What it isn't...it isn't Rocky or Vision Quest or Rudy (he was offside by the way), or Remember the Titans. It's not a film that is going to draw a lot of people to wrestling. It's a dark drama BASED on a true story with complex characters and situations that ended in the murder of one of our greatest wrestlers and maybe wrestling's greatest ambassador.

It's not 100% factual. One of the biggest liberties they took was having Mark and Dave living on the farm at the same time. They never did. Mark was there first and then left. Dave came later and stayed too long.

They combined some time. It's hard to tell this story in 2 hours so they combined and skipped some years. For example in the movie it appears Dave was murdered shortly after the 1988 Olympics when in reality he was killed in 1996.

What it is...

r

Ruffalo as Dave Schultz, Steve Carell as John DuPont and Channing Tatum as Mark Schultz had their characters down pat.

Ruffalo-the first time I saw him walk in this movie it almost made me cry. It WAS Dave's walk. If I would have seen it from behind I would have sworn it was Dave. He had his mannerisms down as well. The only thing he didn't capture was Dave's sense of humor. Dave could come up with a one liner out of the blue and make you laugh. More about Dave later.

Carell-He portrayed DuPont as the creep he really was. when the Team Trials were held in Philadelphia he would invite the referees out to the farm. I would liken it to having an audience with the Pope except that would be an insult to every catholic on the planet.

Tatum-He walked like Mark as well. I always thought Mark was a brooder and I think Tatum got that right.

Real wrestlers-lots of real wrestling people including Reece and Jordin Humphrey. Their dad Jim Humphrey was the coach at Foxcatcher in the late 80's and our 88 Olympic coach. He left well before Dave's murder.

The sets-very realistic. The scenes on the farm especially. What they used as the exterior shot of the mansion was not real. The internal rooms were like I remember them. One building they didn't show was the Carriage House. DuPont had a collection of antique carriages and wagons. He had one from Gone With The Wind, a Wells Fargo Stage Coach and Cinderella like carriage. The security system alone was like $50,000.

The Farm itself had like 17 houses on it. You could hunt deer there and fish. There were fire hydrants. He really did have an army tank.

There is a scene when Dave is in an office at the Farm where there are headshot pictures of wrestlers. I remember those being there and I think he had some of them in the mansion as well.

The singlets, the warm ups, even the bags were just like the Foxcatcher equipment issue. I had a t-shirt at one time and polo shirt. I burned them both shortly after Dave was killed.

A little about DuPont. I can't begin to describe what a creep he was. Each time I was around him I felt like I needed a shower. No one ever said no to John DuPont. On Black Monday he lost something like $13 million. The story in the movie about his mother paying a kid to be his friend is supposedly true. I had heard several times even before he shot Dave. DuPont did do some good with his money. USAW started the National Teams program which our top 3 guys in each weight get a stipend. There are a lot of stories about DuPont, but I have already wasted enough time on him.

Mark Schultz was a 3 x NCAA Champion and also  a 3x World Champion (1-Olympic and 2 Worlds). He was a physical specimen. One of the most athletic things I ever saw him do was after a loss and off the mat. He lost to the Russian in the finals of the World Cup in Toledo Ohio, walked out the back door of the arena and threw his plaque about 30 or 40 yards right in the middle of the Maumee River. I told him about it a couple of years ago and he said he remembered that. He also told me that he very proudly does not have any 2nd place awards in his possession. He threw all of them away. A 2nd place Big 8 medal is somewhere on top of Gallagher-Iba Arena. Mark is an emotional complex individual. I hope he finds peace someday.

Dave Schultz was one of my heroes even though we were born 4 months apart and I refereed some of his matches. He had a charisma about him that is difficult to describe. I NEVER heard anyone say they didn't like Dave. I saw him get standing ovations in other countries when he placed 2nd or 3rd. He learned to speak Russian on his own and he was more famous there than here. The Bulgarians, the Iranians, the Koreans...everyone loved him. I believe he was our best technician without (by far) being our best athlete.

When our National Anthem is played at a wrestling event, I say a silent prayer and then I think of Dave Schultz....not once in a while, but every single time.

The movie was tough to watch. Especially the end. I remember where I was and how I heard Dave was shot. I couldn't believe it then and I still can't. I believe Dave's murder held us back as a country. I think Dave would have been our national coach and we have flourished under him no matter what the rules.

If you are a wrestler I encourage to google videos of Dave and Mark wrestling. they were a joy to watch.

Tom Clark

Edited by grecoref

I watched it and enjoyed it for the most part. However, there's a scene in the movie where Shultz and Dupont are in a dark room and Dupont is on top of him. The camera zooms to Shultz's face and it appears as though he's in pain. You can also hear Dupont grunting. That scene freaked me out big time!

I saw this morning that Foxcatcher was nominated for a best picture Oscar, sure it won't win as a limited release but still cool & will result in increased post release viewing

Plus, unless I read the predictions instead of the actual nominations,  they also have Carrell up for best Best Actor and Ruffalo for Best Supporting Actor.  

But other films and actors have been trumping them other recent awards programs.  So it maybe an uphill battle to get a in at the Oscars, especially when uplifting stories seem to win out in most years.

Foxcatcher is not nominated for best picture for the oscars.  (it was nominated for the golden globes, but lost)

It did get 5 oscar nominations though:

Carrell for best actor

Ruffalo for supporting actor

Miller for best director

Make Up (I'm guessing just for Carrell's nose)

Writing - original screenplay

Foxcatcher is not nominated for best picture for the oscars.  (it was nominated for the golden globes, but lost)

It did get 5 oscar nominations though:

Carrell for best actor

Ruffalo for supporting actor

Miller for best director

Make Up (I'm guessing just for Carrell's nose)

Writing - original screenplay

Took my words, which led me to say, "If the acting, directing, and writing were nomination-worthy, then why not the pic?" But it has to be on so many ballots to make the top 10 cut, etc. Only eight made the cut though, so it's frustrating to see Foxcatcher snubbed (despite being on many other nomination lists prior to the big one) and two berths left unfilled. Joe Q Public usually only sees the Best Picture nominees if they have even a cursory knowledge of nominations. Again, frustrating. Limited release doesn't hurt movies like this with critics because screeners go out to them AND this move was at Cannes in 2013 and was supposed to be out in fall of 2013 before reconsiderations. In short, a Foxcatcher Best Picture nomination would have been better overall for the sport. Nominations lead to re-releases or more widespread release at theaters and more eyeballs on an excellent film, sad ending and all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.