IHSWCA Top 20 Rankings 1-8-2015

MATER DEI, PERRY MERIDIAN 1-2 in STATE TOP 20 POLL

Evansville Mater Dei, fresh from a victory in Class AAA at last weekend's team state wrestling duals, is the No. 1 ranked team in the Indiana wrestling poll.

The rankings were released today by the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association (IHSWCA).

Perry Meridian is ranked No. 2, while Penn moves up to the No. 3 spot.

IHSWCA WRESTLING POLL OF 1-8-2015

(First-place votes in parentheses)

School                                                                Votes

1, Evansville Mater Dei (7)                                  140

2, Perry Meridian                                                 133

3, Penn                                                                126

4, Portage                                                            114

5, Warren Central                                                109

6, Merrillville                                                        103

7, Crown Point                                                     100

8, Yorktown                                                           84

9, Avon                                                                 75

10, Hamilton Southeastern                                   64

11, Carroll (Fort Wayne)                                       63

12, Lawrence North                                              59

13, Franklin Community                                       49

14, New Palestine                                                48

15, Bellmont                                                         47

16, Indianapolis Cathedral                                   45

17, Brownsburg                                                   44

18, Castle                                                             25

19, Bloomington South                                        15

20, Jennings County                                              9

Also receiving votes: Center Grove 8, Elkhart Memorial 4, Carmel 3, Ben Davis 3, Valparaiso 1, Zionsville 1.

It is interesting that Avon is #9 even though HSE (#10) beat them in a head to head? I'm sure there are other in the same boat, I just thought it was interesting.

Avon was missing at least two of their top guys when they faced HSE, Bellmont and WC.

How can Merrillville be ranked ahead of CP? Your poll is dated the 8th and CP beat them on the 7th.

The committee of voters for the IHSWCA rankings must submit their choices more than a few hours before the rankings are released.  This is obviously done to ensure the person in charge time to compile the results of everyones vote on the day the rankings are published..  Since that meet was not over until late at night on the 7th, the next days rankings was not within a window of time necessary to be reflected in this poll.  I believe current poll largely reflects the dual meet outcomes of the IHSWCA Team State Dual Meet event.  If both Merrillville and CP continue to win dual meets  I would guess the outcome of that particular meet maybe reflected more in the next set of IHSWCA rankings.

It is also worth noting that these are different from the IndianaMat Team rankings.   IndianaMat Team "Dual Rankings" can be adjusted much quicker than the IHSWCA Poll since that is mostly in the hands on one person, with input from others when needed.  As well, keep in mind that another set of IndianaMat rankings, the "Team Power Rankings," are based on a teams potential state individual tournaments scoring results (mostly through current state rankings) rather than the head to head or common opponent dual meet results.

It is interesting that Avon is #9 even though HSE (#10) beat them in a head to head? I'm sure there are other in the same boat, I just thought it was interesting.

If you look at all same-season duals rematches in the state, 1 out of 6 or 7 have a different winner from the first match (I've researched it).  And that's considering even all of the incredibly mismatched pairings.  If you're talking about two teams that have a very close result, your win on that day only proves one thing for sure--you were better that day.  A full season of results may or may not prove you're better overall.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.