IHSAA Championship - Anyone have 3 Champs?

I went through rankings looking at the Top 20 teams to see who might have 2 - 3 champs on their roster. Anyone brave enough to make a case for their school for the trophy? It is going to take 2 champs or 3 in the finals. Who is the favorite?

• Looks like all these are capable of 3 in the finals:
  • Penn - Woods, Osborn, Hildebrandt or Swank (looks like the favorite)
  • EMD - Lee boys, Egli or Johnson
  • Perry - James, Elliott, Tonte or Johnson
  • Cathedral - Rypel, Harvey, Bailey

Must have 2 champs and place winner:

• Lowell - Cummings, Hughes
  • Merrillville - Covaciu, Streck

Honorable Mention:

• Yorktown - Must have a couple in the finals (Howard-Anderson, McCormick) plus 3 placewinners 
  • Franklin - Stevenson Champ, and 3 high placewinners
  • Portage, East Noble, and New Pal could be in the hunt.

All in all, it looks like it is shaping up to be a VERY competitive IHSAA Championship. Looking forward to it.  

I also wouldn't count out Blake Jourdan or Kyle Luigs at EMD.  I'm not saying they could or would win it but they will be in the mix and with a good draw who knows.  Both could definitely place top 4 along with Nick Lee, Joe Lee, Will Egli and Alex Johnson.  EMD could have 6 place top 4.  Would probably have to have at least one champion and a couple of others make the finals 

I believe we could have up to 3 teams with 2 champions, I think 3 from one team would be very unlikely. Penn, EMD, and Lowell are my guesses to get 2 each. Penn would be the least likely but I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled it off.

so when is the last time someone had 3 champs?.......

Let us not forget Lawrence North's epic tournament in 1992. 4 in and 4 out.

I also wouldn't count out Blake Jourdan or Kyle Luigs at EMD.  I'm not saying they could or would win it but they will be in the mix and with a good draw who knows.  Both could definitely place top 4 along with Nick Lee, Joe Lee, Will Egli and Alex Johnson.  EMD could have 6 place top 4.  Would probably have to have at least one champion and a couple of others make the finals 

3 in the finals beats a Nick Lee champ and 3 4th place finishers...

Some other interesting facts:

Since the tourney has been at Market Square or Bankers in the individual tournament scoring format, the average winning score is 80 points. The highest scoring winner was Perry in 2012 with 102.5 points. The lowest scoring winner was Chesterton with 59 points in 1989.  

80 points is probably the magic number. In a close year like 2015, I would think that number might even be closer to 70 points. You need 5 place winners with one being a champ to get there. Even with only 3 in the finals, it probably won't get it done.   

Placement points for the Top 8: 16-12-9-7-5-3-2-1

Advancement points (all but placement matches): 2 points in the main bracket, 1 point in the wrestlebacks

Match result points: 2 for a fall, 1.5 for a tech, 1 for a major

No points at all are scored in the first round for some unknown reason determined by the IHSAA.

All told, a champ scores 20-26 points, depending on match results.

Placement points for the Top 8: 16-12-9-7-5-3-2-1

Advancement points (all but placement matches): 2 points in the main bracket, 1 point in the wrestlebacks

Match result points: 2 for a fall, 1.5 for a tech, 1 for a major

No points at all are scored in the first round for some unknown reason determined by the IHSAA.

All told, a champ scores 20-26 points, depending on match results.

From what I have heard (and I am not certain), the IHSAA does not score the first round because at sectionals there are a lot of first round forfeits that could in someway or another be significant.  This trend follows all the way up to the state finals, even though there are no more forfeits after sectionals.  A SERIOUS FLAW IN THE SYSTEM.

From what I have heard (and I am not certain), the IHSAA does not score the first round because at sectionals there are a lot of first round forfeits that could in someway or another be significant.  This trend follows all the way up to the state finals, even though there are no more forfeits after sectionals.  A SERIOUS FLAW IN THE SYSTEM.

I refer to this as the Lake Central rule.

The IHSWCA is actually the one who proposed this about 8 years ago and the IHSAA accepted their proposal.

I could be missing something here, but why would any potential first round points really matter at the state tournament? Points are awarded to place winners. If you win your first round match, you are a place winner. If you lose, you are not and obviously wouldn't earn team points anyway. Yes, I understand point values differ depending on the manner in which a match is won, but I feel like throwing the first round out is a good thing for the team race because of the number of lopsided bouts that will inevitably occur in the first round. The number of place winners, and their respective placements, will likely be the determining factor.

I think MD has a good shot at getting at least two champs. Watching Joe Lee wrestle James, I couldn't help but feel he was wrestling a little more defensively than normal (maybe for the sake of not giving up a big move for team points?) I think he comes out and at least puts up a takedown or two more next time.

I believe the scoring for sectional was, as mentioned, designed to eliminate the early round issues where certain teams can gain points and others couldn't.

However, I thought that I heard that the rational for not scoring the first round of our state was because that is what occured across the board for most other individual sports. In those sports the IHSAA only scored for team points once individuals reach a placement position, so the equivalent for that in wrestling would mean events that occur after the first round.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.