Thank You IHSWCA for Team State

throwforfive

I start this thread by asking everyone to stay on topic. I feel this thread is 5 days overdue. I had hoped someone else would start it as I'm not much on posting.

I want to thank the IHSWCA and ALL the many people for making last Saturday possible. For anyone whom has never attended one in the past, it is quite the experience for the kids. Where else would you get to see Penn be up 32-6 on Perry and go down to tie breaking criteria? Without this, would you have gotten to see Mater Dei return to the top? How about Bellmont versus Yorktown? These are always the highlight of my season. You will never find a better staff than BJ Faurote, Paul Gunsett, Tim Myers, Brandon Razo, and Sean Faurote. With no Team State, means no Adams Central returning as champs and making the argument Adams County has the best wrestling in the state. I'm just so lucky to have been able to be a small part of it. I can speak directly, the Yorktown wrestlers loved it.

Now to some thank you's:

-Mark Durham, Pat Culp, and Pat Van Horn for all your trackwrestling work.

-Dane Fuelling and staff for all the time and effort in seeding.

-Joe Caprino and indianamat for all the advertising, google hangouts, and media guide.

-Nicole Moss and trainers for keeping all the kids healthy.

-referee's, we love it as the best are there and we get a chance to see how they will call certain situations. Great job!

-Jeff Mosier the announcer.

-JD Minch as he was working tirelessly, I asked him, why? He simply smiled and said, "for the kids". Well, you are a better man than me JD. Thanks!

-Tim Smith, a personal friend who took it upon himself to coordinate all the set up and tear down of mats.

-Yorktown Fire Departments led by Chief David Boone for all the man hours in transporting, setting up, tearing down, and transporting back of the mats.

Finally, Trent McCormick. I'm not sure why he takes on so much all the time. I would like to point out he is NOT the IHSWCA President or Vice President. Yet he took this all on and seen every bit of it through. He worked 20 hour days the four days leading up to the event. No, he did not even sit to coach his team. Worse yet, he did not even take time to coach or even watch his own son. Talk about sacrifice. Again, clearly a better man than me. Thanks so much for the opportunities and experiences you provided to so many kids.

I am certain there are MANY people I forgot. Please feel free to post on here and point out those people. I did recognize the table help too. Like North Montgomery being there and not even wrestling. They worked the entire tourney.

I second these sentiments.  Saturday was a great day of wrestling and wrestling fans would be very hard pressed to find a more competitive tournament than what the team state has showcased the last 2 years, with several of the duals coming down to the last match (or 2).  I am sure most of us have no idea as to logistics it takes to pull off a 36 team tourney and all that goes with it.

A huge ditto to all those who helped to pull off this year's tourney and I am already looking forward to next year's !!

PS -- and next year I'll remember to bring an EMPTY cooler, to use as a seat !!

With out a doubt all you mentioned and any of the others who have worked at making this happen, thanks!! We here at Avon used our success in 2005 at team state to build our club into what it is today, and then when the boys we built around got to HS the format was taken away. This was our first year in new format and I got almost as much joy out our 5 th place finish as I did my sons qualifying for state last year. Hope this continues to grow and improve with age. Thanks again to all involved.

I would like to thank the IHSWCA, as well.  While we did not get an invitation, I went and watched some quality wrestling. 

HUGE thank you to Mark Durham for setting up the video cameras and streaming the duals in the gym for the people unable to attend.  That was a very cool set up and awesome that the scoreboard/tickers were up to the second!  Looking forward to what the Bankers Life big screens will look like.

I want to also thank Amber Hyde, who was the supervisor of table help.  People do not understand how much she does for the sport of wrestling.  Between IHSAA, IHSWCA, Midlands, B1G, and NCAA's she will do anything for this sport.  So thank you to Amber!

Since I was unable to attend the event may I ask how the venue of Ball State's Athletic Facility worked out for this event?  When the annoncement was made it sounded like a decent step in the right direction in terms of moving towards hosting the event in the best facility possible.

Thank you for asking. I did not want to be negative on a very positive thread and much gratitude is due those already mentioned! The venue seemed fine, however, the venue staff did not seem to be up to the task. They were obviously understaffed in the admittance area. Standing out in the cold/damp rain was not a great way to start the day. Fortunately we got there early enough to get in by 9am but wonder if someone attendees did not. As a proud Ball U alum, a "welcome to Ball State" would have been a pleasant greeting, especially since you're dealing with many parents/students who are in the process of choosing an institution of higher learning (insert Ball U jokes here!). Next, since the bag police allowed basically nothing in, one would think that the conessions would also be well staffed so as to not have to wait an inordinate amount of time to get refreshments! I know I bypassed the line so as to not miss a bout/match. I would think they left a lot of revenue on the table in that regard.

Again, overall the venue was great and those who organized the event deserve applause. It was memorable day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.