Disney Dual Dates

team mom 2

Indiana has some pretty stupid rules "that" seem to have no good reason for existing.  The IHSAA seems "to" be very stubborn as well in never changing their minds.  While I agree they should not change moratorium week just for wrestling, they need to be more open minded.  One example of possibly the dumbest high school athletic rule IN THE ENTIRE NATION is the 300 mile border rule.  All it does is hinder our state's development and prevent athletes from getting ready for the next level.

Indiana has some pretty stupid rules "that" seem to have no good reason for existing.  The IHSAA seems "to" be very stubborn as well in never changing their minds.  While I agree they should not change moratorium week just for wrestling, they need to be more open minded.  One example of possibly the dumbest high school athletic rule IN THE ENTIRE NATION is the 300 mile border rule.  All it does is hinder our state's development and prevent athletes from getting ready for the next level.

Many states have travel rules similar to ours. Some states only allow competition with bordering states, others, like Ohio, limit it to one event outside a bordering state. Even in one state(Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin I think) they don't allow any athletic events between Christmas and New Years.

I'm sure you can find a few dumb rules with about every state association.

The IHSAA changed their summer participation rules quite radically in the past 10 years.  The change allowed much more contact in the summer between coaches and their athletes.

The IHSAA changed their summer participation rules quite radically in the past 10 years.  The change allowed much more contact in the summer between coaches and their athletes.

Correct.  Instead of very limited contact with athletes all summer, the IHSAA added just one week (moratorium) without any contact.  We are much better off now.  I agree with this rule and that it should be the same week for everyone for all sports.  It ensures that all high school athletes in Indiana get a full week of a break, even if they play 2 or 3 sports.  As a coach, it's helpful for me, too, because I always know that the week of the 4th of July I won't be having any summer workouts, so I can plan to spend uninterrupted time with my family.

Disney Duals is always around moratorium week, so coaches who take their teams know they might have to choose not to go or have a non-coach lead their team for part of it.  There are other tournament options available.  If none of the Indiana teams participate this year, then Disney will definitely take a hit in their number of teams and possibly make a change, but it is unlikely.

The 300 mile rule does seem nonsensical. While it makes sense to restrict travel to 300 miles or less, the fact that our teams can't compete against teams that travel from outside that area doesn't. How does it negatively impact Indiana student athletes if a team from CA, OR or WA travel to an Indiana tourney? Or when IN teams travel to border states and those events just happen to have teams that have traveled in from considerable distance, how is that protecting our athletes or the integrity of IHSAA wrestling?

Putting rules together for all the IHSAA sports can't be easy, and I understand that unintended consequences can result from well meaning sports legislation. The purpose seems to be to limit the amount of in-season travel that could be at the determent of academics, which I believe is a good thing and has merit. Unfortunately the rule has the added layer of not just restricting travel but who you can compete against, regardless of how close to you that event is, this is the aspect I would like to see addressed.

The 300 mile rule does seem nonsensical. While it makes sense to restrict travel to 300 miles or less, the fact that our teams can't compete against teams that travel from outside that area doesn't. How does it negatively impact Indiana student athletes if a team from CA, OR or WA travel to an Indiana tourney? Or when IN teams travel to border states and those events just happen to have teams that have traveled in from considerable distance, how is that protecting our athletes or the integrity of IHSAA wrestling?

Putting rules together for all the IHSAA sports can't be easy, and I understand that unintended consequences can result from well meaning sports legislation. The purpose seems to be to limit the amount of in-season travel that could be at the determent of academics, which I believe is a good thing and has merit. Unfortunately the rule has the added layer of not just restricting travel but who you can compete against, regardless of how close to you that event is, this is the aspect I would like to see addressed.

One team was hit with a violation last year because they went to an out of state event and wrestled against a team outside the 300 mile range.

Basically, if a team from California, Texas, etc wants to come play a basketball or football game here in Indiana they cannot.

The IHSAA stance is:

1. Limit travel and days off of school

2. There is plenty of competition within the 300 mile radius for all teams 

The 300 mile rule is old and outdated.  I don't know when it was added, but it was probably at a time when travel was a lot more difficult than it is now.  It just has never been changed with the times.  I also feel that the IHSAA is going out of their jurisdiction by basically imposing a rule on teams from outside our state.  If the IHSAA wants to say we can't travel more than 300 miles, so be it.  But for them to say a team from New Jersey can't come here to compete, even though it is allowed by their state, is just wrong.

The IHSAA has allowed very few exceptions to this rule in the past.  It was mostly for basketball to put the national spotlight on a star player vs another star player from a different state.  I think there also was an exception in basketball several years ago for a fundraiser tournament in Illinois with other national schools outside the rule's boundaries.  (but my memory is not what it used to be)

If coaches associations from most of the sports were to unite and petition for a change, I think this one is possible.

The 300 mile rule is old and outdated.  I don't know when it was added, but it was probably at a time when travel was a lot more difficult than it is now.  It just has never been changed with the times.  I also feel that the IHSAA is going out of their jurisdiction by basically imposing a rule on teams from outside our state.  If the IHSAA wants to say we can't travel more than 300 miles, so be it.  But for them to say a team from New Jersey can't come here to compete, even though it is allowed by their state, is just wrong.

The IHSAA has allowed very few exceptions to this rule in the past.  It was mostly for basketball to put the national spotlight on a star player vs another star player from a different state.  I think there also was an exception in basketball several years ago for a fundraiser tournament in Illinois with other national schools outside the rule's boundaries.  (but my memory is not what it used to be)

If coaches associations from most of the sports were to unite and petition for a change, I think this one is possible.

Probably would take an initiative from school principals, similar to the class basketball battles of the mid-90s.

Our Club has tried to raise money for Disney Duals and has fallen short. I was going to pay for it myself but my better half convinced me to do otherwise. This year it just doesn't seem pragmatic especially if we can't Coach Grider or Bolden there until Sunday. Does anyone know of any other team Duals near that time and are more affordable?

There have been a growing number of team dual competitions around Indiana over the spring and summer that teams have attended at tune-ups for larger national events or just to get their wrestlers extra off season competition.  So even if you can not go to Disney Duals (due to cost or moratorium) other opportunities exist which could aid in the teams development.

I've hosted a summer duals at Washington high school the last couple of years. I'm no longer coaching there but am planning on doing it again there or at another school. I will keep everyone wanting summer competition updated

Jazztown duals were 6/22 last year and in New Orleans. Mater Dei took two teams.

Jazztown duals were 6/22 last year and in New Orleans. Mater Dei took two teams. I wonder if the reigning IHSWCA 3A Dual Team State Champions will be going this year?:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.