Anyone think Sliga can AA this year?

BrennanFan

I've been following him and Northwestern closely this year. Although I've seen some signs of brilliance from Mitch, most of the time I'm disappointed. He's having problems with getting beat on the scramble after he gets in deep on a shop. He's barely above .500 right now. It seems like his confidence is really low right now. I hope he can find that fire he had when he crushing everyone around the country when he was in high school. 

1z6b3nc.png

Anything can happen, but I don't think it's realistic to think he AA's this year. From the few times I've watched him it just looks like he's undersized for 184. He's a solid scrambler, but it's hard to do when you're undersized. On top of that, to be an AA you've got to be able to get away on bottom, or at least create some sort of movement, which looks like another weakness of his. Again I could be wrong because this is just from limited observations.

I agree grenadier in him being undersized..in the meet vs the gophers he looked hesitant on his feet after,getting deep in pn his 1st shot....he got in a scramble and was scored on...that told me right there he was smaller because we all are familiar with sligas scrambling ability...but nvr count the guy out cuz he has been competitive all year and,could turn the corner and make some noise....

He really looked undersized at 184 tonight.  My guess is he has never wrestled off the bottom to much and never had to.  He will progress though as he matures.  He will do just fine.  Tough weight for a young kid coming into college as it is for an underclassman breaking into the heavier weights in high school.

Don't think he will AA just hope he qualifies for the NCAA.  I thought he would adapt to college wrestling a lot better than he has with all his high school accomplishments.  He gets horsed around in most of his matches.  He is really tentative in his matches and can't get off bottom.

• 2 months later...

I think it is so odd seeing sliga not decimate everyone that he runs into. Not that he's doing poor or anything it's just I am used to seeing the type of wrestling where he pins his opponent in 30 seconds. Still it was a great year for Mitch and I hope we can see him on the podium these next few years.

I've nevery thought of sliga as a pinner. He's not a hercules-type wrestler. He's a technician. He's always been so good at clearing opponents'defense and getting to their legs, and I've seen him do just that this season, but he's not finishing his attacks, which is either a strength issue or a confidence issue. He's also struggled on bottom, and on top for that matter,which isn't unusual for a young wrestler. What is most confusing and concerning is that these types of things are usually handled by a redshirt year, which he had. It was an excellent redshirt year too, so I can't explain how he's struggling against Irick and getting majored by ricky Robertson, who he beat after his senior year. No clue what's going on, but I hope he works it out this offseason

I've nevery thought of sliga as a pinner. He's not a hercules-type wrestler. He's a technician. He's always been so good at clearing opponents'defense and getting to their legs, and I've seen him do just that this season, but he's not finishing his attacks, which is either a strength issue or a confidence issue. He's also struggled on bottom, and on top for that matter,which isn't unusual for a young wrestler. What is most confusing and concerning is that these types of things are usually handled by a redshirt year, which he had. It was an excellent redshirt year too, so I can't explain how he's struggling against Irick and getting majored by ricky Robertson, who he beat after his senior year. No clue what's going on, but I hope he works it out this offseason

. I agree, but I predict that next year we see him on the podium at the big tens. Edited by Novice Bat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.