Article: 2014 Al Smith Preview

Y2CJ41

There is no perfect science to seeding.  I think for the most part having a fair criteria in place usually gets the job done.  In a tournament this big, it is going to be difficult. You can go strictly based on W/L record, but that could be unfair as well as a 1-3 loss kid could possibly seed low to an undefeated kids who may not have wrestled the same caliber opponents, which determining that in itself can be very subjective as well.  Do we go by last years results, well I have seen some dramatic change in caliber, good and bad in kids from one year to the next.  Put a criteria in place, stick to it as best as possible unless there is an exception that arises, at this point sometimes it comes down to common sense to solve the issue.  Of course that is hard to do given a wrestler's mentality to fight for everything.  There will always be times where a kid may be seeded lower than he should have, and end up possibly winning the tournament. On the flip side, sometimes kids actually get seeded with very good records and don't even place.  To me in the grand scheme of things, if your kid is the best wrestler it will be displayed on the mat, bottom line.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.