Purdue wrestling is on a roll

I've been impressed with the early success Purdue is having under a new coaching staff.  They defeated 20th ranked University of Tennesee -- Chattanooga, and followed it with a win over North Carolina to improve to 7-2

PURDUE 19, No. 20 CHATTANOOGA 16
125 // No. 19 Sean Boyle (Chattanooga) maj. dec. Aaron Assad (Purdue), 9-1
133 // No. 19 Danny Sabatello (Purdue) pinned No. 14 Nick Soto (Chattanooga), 5:22
141 // Nick Lawrence (Purdue) dec. Mike Pongracz (Chattanooga), 8-6 (SV1)
149 // Shawn Greevy (Chattanooga) dec. Brandon Nelsen (Purdue), 13-7
157 // Doug Welch (Purdue) dec. Austin Sams (Chattanooga), 4-1
165 // Pat Robinson (Purdue) maj. dec. Jared Presley (Chattanooga), 10-0
174 // Chad Welch (Purdue) dec. Levi Clemons (Chattanooga), 9-3
184 // McCoy Newburg (Chattanooga) dec. Tanner Lynde (Purdue), 9-6
197 // Scottie Boykin (Chattanooga) dec. No. 8 Braden Atwood (Purdue), 6-4 (SV1)
285 // Jared Johnson (Chattanooga) dec. Tyler Kral (Purdue), 5-1

PURDUE 19, NORTH CAROLINA 12
125 // Luke Welch (Purdue) dec. Cody Karns (North Carolina), 4-0
133 // No. 19 Danny Sabatello (Purdue) maj. dec. Matt Williams (North Carolina), 10-1
141 // No. 14 Joey Ward (North Carolina) dec. Nick Lawrence (Purdue), 3-2
149 // Alex Griffin (Purdue) dec. Joey Moon (North Carolina), 7-5
157 // Doug Welch (Purdue) dec. Chris Mears (North Carolina), 5-3
165 // Ethan Ramos (North Carolina) dec. Pat Robinson (Purdue), 5-3
174 // Chad Welch (Purdue) dec. John Michael Staudenmayer (North Carolina), 3-2
184 // Alex Utley (North Carolina) dec. Tanner Lynde (Purdue), 10-6
197 // Patrick Kissel (Purdue) dec. Chip Ness (North Carolina), 8-5
285 // Josh Lehner (North Carolina) dec. Tyler Kral (Purdue), 6-4

• 2 weeks later...

I heard he had a torn ACL.  But has been wrestling on it.   Don't see Atwood getting back to full strength this season

I talked to his dad earlier this season and he does have a torn ?CL don't remember which they said it was but that he was going to wrestle thru it since it's his senior year. They have talked about setting out every once in a while to not over do it with his knee. Let's just hope he is healthy come tournament time!

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it here a lot, but I'll say it again; put together an aggressive program that wrestles hard and mean, goes out to fight for every point and every position with heart, and people in this state will get behind it big time. You don't need to win the Big10. You need to go out and get in a street fight for it and they'll love you. I get the feeling Ersland is fully aware of this and is trying to create a brand. 

Right. Look at Illinois. They've transformed that program into a roughneck outfit. It's not an apples to apples comparison in terms of where they're at talent and recruiting wise. They're a top 10-15 team right now. But the style they wrestle has changed over the last few years. Those guys GO HARD. They're in shape, and they're mean and nasty. If you let up, they're gonna put it on you. They're tough and the world of college wrestling respects that.