Best team ever?

S-Brooks

Yes the MD 96 team was stacked as well...beat us new castle Trojans in finals 95 and 96..had Bubba Dickerson not died 96 would a been reallllly interesting

..those Nc teams were some the best not to win it...ranked in top 20 in country with 8 qualifiers and 13 ss qualifiers they were great as well...

Well in 1971 bloomington high school destroyed Detroit catholic central who was ranked number 1 in the nation , bloomington went on to win the state championship by 40 some points with 4 in the finals and 3 individual state champions in addition bloomington went on to win a total of 5 state titles in a row from 1969-1973 .

I'm not old enough to have seen the greatest Delta or Bloomington teams, but I've seen all the great teams since the early 90s.  The 2003 EMD team definitely would not have lost to anyone in the last 25 years.  Even that Griffith score is a bit misleading because Griffith had a number of holes that could have made them susceptible to losses from a lot of other top teams in the last 25 years--but there was no way for even the greatest team of all-time not to give up those 23 points because of the several all-time individuals wrestling for Griffith.  What I mean is that EMD 2003 would have smashed most other state champion teams by 25+ points.

Not saying that they were the best team ever, but I believe they are definitely in the top 5.. 2012-2013 Perry Meridian squad.  Besides the fact that they won back to back big class AAU Disney Dual National titles, they also beat the #2 ranked Franklin Community Grizzly Cubs by over 30 points at the IHSWCA State Dual Tournament in route to their 3rd consecutive IHSAA Team Title.

106: Brett Johnson (SQ)

113: Jacob Cottey (5th in the state) -- Wabash

120: Aidan Kenny (SSQ)

126: Brandon James (5th in the state) -- Old Dominion Commit

132: Cody LeCount (State Champ) -- Central Michigan

138: Nick Bova (7th in the state) -- Wabash

145: Michael Thomas (SSQ)

152: Keanu Cooper (SSQ -- pinned state runner-up Corsaro @ IHSWCA State Duals; lost to him 1-0 in ticket round)

160: Riley McClurg (State Champ) -- Old Dominion

170: Nathan Warman (SSQ) 

182: Jake Masengale (State Runner-Up) -- Indiana University

195: Kaz Koehring (SSQ -- lost to Sliga)

220: Phillip An (RQ)

HWT: Donte Winfield (State Champ) -- Harper Junior College

8 Qualifiers

4 in the finals

3 State Champs

1 Runner-Up

2 5th place

1 7th place

The following is an excerpt from "We are MD...A History of Mater Dei Wrestling"

The Wildcats travelled to Columbus, Ohio on January 18 to compete in the National College Duals.  Mater Dei rolled over, Lisbon, 56-12 in the first round, and Cincinnati Lakota East, 58-13, in the second round.  Their last opponent, St. Paris Graham, was much more formidable.  The national polls had Mater Dei at 11th, while St. Paris Graham was ranked second.  St. Paris Graham was a buzz saw and defeated the ‘Cats, 39-15.  The loss broke Mater Dei’s 116-match winning streak and handed Mater Dei its second dual loss in 253 matches.

"If our streak mattered, we wouldn't have accepted this challenge,” said Mike Goebel.  “We never talk about that. We just saw this as a chance to wrestle a quality opponent, somebody who will make us better in the long run.”

St. Paris Graham was the real deal.  Standard-bearer Blake Maurer lost only the second match of his career, a 3-1 decision to Joe Dennis. 

"It was a great match," said Goebel. “He (Dennis) got a takedown with two seconds left. We didn't question it when we were there, but when we watched the tape, Blake was clearly out of bounds and Dennis' foot was on the line. The match should've gone overtime, I guess. But that doesn't necessarily change the outcome. The guy was a bear. Blake will learn from it, go on and get better."

"The guys came back to the room and decided they needed to work harder, and that's what they've done," said Goebel. "We didn't lose anything that really mattered, we just lost a match.  But even at that, if we win all four of our close matches, it's a tie. And if we get those and Craig Weinzapfel gets the pin at 145, which we thought he had, well, we could conceivably win."

Maurer faced an unfamiliar foe in his match with Dennis:  Nerves.

“To be totally honest, I was very nervous,” said Maurer.  “The match was at Ohio State.  I really wanted to go to Ohio State.  After my warm-up, I look in the stands and there is Russ Hellickson (Ohio State’s wrestling coach) setting next to my dad.  I’m like, ‘Holy crap, I need to get it done out here.’”

Mater Dei tallied wins from Matt Coughlin, Craig Weinzapfel, Sam Wildeman and Chaz Schwartz.  Schwartz won with an eight-second pin at heavyweight. The Wildcats were disappointed with their performance.

“The whole dual was about ‘What ifs?’” said Craig Weinzapfel.  “We had a bunch of one-point matches that went the wrong way.  To not do our best was a real let-down.”

In Paris St. Graham, Mater Dei found themselves sampling their own medicine.

“Everywhere we wrestled, people always talked about what good shape we were in,” said Craig Weinzapfel.  “That team (St. Paris Graham) was in incredible shape; incredibly strong.  It seemed like they had the mentality that they were going to go as hard as they could no matter what.”

“We were at the weigh-in,” said Wildeman.  “I’m looking at this guy, and he is around my size (160 pounds).  One of the guys on the team, said ‘No, that’s who Macke (125 pounds) has.  The guy was huge.  He was a man.”

“Graham won all of the close matches,” said Maurer.  “Their conditioning was better than ours.  We had our opportunities; we just didn’t get it done.”

The following is an excerpt from "We are MD...A History of Mater Dei Wrestling"

The Wildcats travelled to Columbus, Ohio on January 18 to compete in the National College Duals.  Mater Dei rolled over, Lisbon, 56-12 in the first round, and Cincinnati Lakota East, 58-13, in the second round.  Their last opponent, St. Paris Graham, was much more formidable.  The national polls had Mater Dei at 11th, while St. Paris Graham was ranked second.  St. Paris Graham was a buzz saw and defeated the ‘Cats, 39-15.  The loss broke Mater Dei’s 116-match winning streak and handed Mater Dei its second dual loss in 253 matches.

"If our streak mattered, we wouldn't have accepted this challenge,” said Mike Goebel.  “We never talk about that. We just saw this as a chance to wrestle a quality opponent, somebody who will make us better in the long run.”

St. Paris Graham was the real deal.  Standard-bearer Blake Maurer lost only the second match of his career, a 3-1 decision to Joe Dennis. 

"It was a great match," said Goebel. “He (Dennis) got a takedown with two seconds left. We didn't question it when we were there, but when we watched the tape, Blake was clearly out of bounds and Dennis' foot was on the line. The match should've gone overtime, I guess. But that doesn't necessarily change the outcome. The guy was a bear. Blake will learn from it, go on and get better."

"The guys came back to the room and decided they needed to work harder, and that's what they've done," said Goebel. "We didn't lose anything that really mattered, we just lost a match.  But even at that, if we win all four of our close matches, it's a tie. And if we get those and Craig Weinzapfel gets the pin at 145, which we thought he had, well, we could conceivably win."

Maurer faced an unfamiliar foe in his match with Dennis:  Nerves.

“To be totally honest, I was very nervous,” said Maurer.  “The match was at Ohio State.  I really wanted to go to Ohio State.  After my warm-up, I look in the stands and there is Russ Hellickson (Ohio State’s wrestling coach) setting next to my dad.  I’m like, ‘Holy crap, I need to get it done out here.’”

Mater Dei tallied wins from Matt Coughlin, Craig Weinzapfel, Sam Wildeman and Chaz Schwartz.  Schwartz won with an eight-second pin at heavyweight. The Wildcats were disappointed with their performance.

“The whole dual was about ‘What ifs?’” said Craig Weinzapfel.  “We had a bunch of one-point matches that went the wrong way.  To not do our best was a real let-down.”

In Paris St. Graham, Mater Dei found themselves sampling their own medicine.

“Everywhere we wrestled, people always talked about what good shape we were in,” said Craig Weinzapfel.  “That team (St. Paris Graham) was in incredible shape; incredibly strong.  It seemed like they had the mentality that they were going to go as hard as they could no matter what.”

“We were at the weigh-in,” said Wildeman.  “I’m looking at this guy, and he is around my size (160 pounds).  One of the guys on the team, said ‘No, that’s who Macke (125 pounds) has.  The guy was huge.  He was a man.”

“Graham won all of the close matches,” said Maurer.  “Their conditioning was better than ours.  We had our opportunities; we just didn’t get it done.”

also article, remember reading about that much, didn't realize how close it actually was until now

There are some awesome teams and I don't know if the Perry teams on 11-12 and 12-13 compare but I would like to give a shout out to these guys.  The 11-12 team had six Fargo All Americans on it.  That's strong.

Jacob Cottey

Jared McKinley

Cody LeCount

Brandon James

Kirk Johnson

Donte Winfield

Add to that that Jake Masengale beat a kid that took 5th at Fargo a month earlier at the duals but did not go to Fargo.  Not a bad squad.  I am not a stat guy but someone told me at the state in 11-12 or 12-13 we broke the individual state record for points.  I would have to see that since Mater Dei in 03 was off the charts.  I think we also had a margin of victory at team state but again I really don't study stats. I am sure I will be corrected here.  Just proud of this group during a three year run where they went undefeated. 

The 1986 Cathedral team was probably our strongest top to bottom. Two NFL guys at the heavyweights (Moe Gardner and Derrick Brownlow) and an absolute wrecking crew down below with Lance Ellis starting out the line-up at 98lbs. Billy Terry, John Maio, multiple McGinleys, Clevenger (state Champ). If anything else, it had to be the nastiest group of wrestlers ever assembled on one team in the history of the state. The fights in the wrestling room were legendary. And, Coach Rhodes ran the most brutal of all practices in the state by a long shot. I was only a grade schooler then, but my dad used to take me in the room. Boiling hot, bloody, and furious. Every practice.   

It is kind of fitting that we finally won a title last year with the traditional scoring system. The 1986 team that lost to EMD for the State Title was without a Top5 Sean McGinley (Disco'ed for a slam in the Regional) and a Billy Terry loss on Saturday morning to an EMD kid from a wrong whistle from the mat next to him with seconds to go in the match. Sometimes the best dual meet teams don't win the title. If so, we would have had two more in 1986 and most certainly 1988.  

We can all make excuses though. We owned it and have moved on. Here's to seeing you ladies at Banker's this February. The Irish will be in the mix once again. . .  

The 1986 Cathedral team was probably our strongest top to bottom. Two NFL guys at the heavyweights (Moe Gardner and Derrick Brownlow) and an absolute wrecking crew down below with Lance Ellis starting out the line-up at 98lbs. Billy Terry, John Maio, multiple McGinleys, Clevenger (state Champ). If anything else, it had to be the nastiest group of wrestlers ever assembled on one team in the history of the state. The fights in the wrestling room were legendary. And, Coach Rhodes ran the most brutal of all practices in the state by a long shot. I was only a grade schooler then, but my dad used to take me in the room. Boiling hot, bloody, and furious. Every practice.   

It is kind of fitting that we finally won a title last year with the traditional scoring system. The 1986 team that lost to EMD for the State Title was without a Top5 Sean McGinley (Disco'ed for a slam in the Regional) and a Billy Terry loss on Saturday morning to an EMD kid from a wrong whistle from the mat next to him with seconds to go in the match. Sometimes the best dual meet teams don't win the title. If so, we would have had two more in 1986 and most certainly 1988.  

We can all make excuses though. We owned it and have moved on. Here's to seeing you ladies at Banker's this February. The Irish will be in the mix once again. . .  

So you've been to every practice in the state?

So you've been to every practice in the state?

Don't have to. You know how crazy Rhodes was. Ask Coach Goebel. No question Rhodes ran harder than Mike did. I have no doubt Coach Goebel had one tough room and one of the best programs of all time. I just know from the stuff that went on in those CHS rooms that it would have been criminal in today's athletic society.

The venue alone was insane. It was the old boiler room. Mats surrounded by hundreds of folding tables/chairs from our annual auction under the HVAC steam pipes that burnt you as it dripped on you while you wrestled. When you walked into the room (what was Cathedral's actual bomb shelter), you were isolated from the rest of the school and society. It wasn't like we were wrestling in the cafeteria with the heat turned up. We were in the belly of the school on a maintenance shop floor. You had to walk down a lond corridor in the basement to get to it. The lighting was horrible, the stench even worse. It was grizzly. The school finally got nervous about the conditions and worked the program into the bus garage behind the school where we practice today. Add a bunch of Neanderthals to the mix and it was spectacular.  

I know I sound like Old Man River with these descriptions, but I actually miss those days. We actually have a water fountain in our room this year. Where did all the good days go . .  

Don't have to. You know how crazy Rhodes was. Ask Coach Goebel. No question Rhodes ran harder than Mike did. I have no doubt Coach Goebel had one tough room and one of the best programs of all time. I just know from the stuff that went on in those CHS rooms that it would have been criminal in today's athletic society.

The venue alone was insane. It was the old boiler room. Mats surrounded by hundreds of folding tables/chairs from our annual auction under the HVAC steam pipes that burnt you as it dripped on you while you wrestled. When you walked into the room (what was Cathedral's actual bomb shelter), you were isolated from the rest of the school and society. It wasn't like we were wrestling in the cafeteria with the heat turned up. We were in the belly of the school on a maintenance shop floor. You had to walk down a lond corridor in the basement to get to it. The lighting was horrible, the stench even worse. It was grizzly. The school finally got nervous about the conditions and worked the program into the bus garage behind the school where we practice today. Add a bunch of Neanderthals to the mix and it was spectacular.  

I know I sound like Old Man River with these descriptions, but I actually miss those days. We actually have a water fountain in our room this year. Where did all the good days go . .  

Hook,

Post the article about "The Hole" if you would. By the way, I bought the book man it's great! Thank you for your time and effort!

I seem to remember having wrestling camp in the "new" wrestling room in the summer of '86.  The only reason I remember it was because they paraded us around to look at the state championship trophy.  Not sure if the room was in use during the 85-86 season.

Delta had some really good teams in the early 80s. As to the NC comments lol.[/quot . Nc comments? Is that you mark?

I firmly believe in a Dual meet format those Nc teams were def some of the best not t win it in the dual meet era.

Yes it's me. Who is this?

Delta had some really good teams in the early 80s. As to the NC comments lol.[/quot . Nc comments? Is that you mark?

I firmly believe in a Dual meet format those Nc teams were def some of the best not t win it in the dual meet era.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.