1st time for everything

fanatic46041

Seen a match tonight where offensive wrestler took 6 shots "scoring on 4 of them" other wrestler "0 shots" and 1 of them being with 45 seconds left to put him up 9-7 and then, with 10/15 seconds left was hit 3X for stalling to tie the match up...now I'm all for staying active but 3 times that fast to cost a kid a match REALLY!!!

Good job to the ref. wrestle till that final whistle.

You have a point but refs tend to not call stalling points until the third period.  If this wrestler would have been doing the same exact thing at the end of the first period the stalling most likely would not have been called (which is bogus).  I have seen other states call stalling as early as 3 seconds into a match.  Indiana refs act like stalling isn't a thing until the third period.  But hey, the kid probably was stalling and should have gotten called for it.  Refs shouldn't be so reluctant to make the call no matter what part of the match it is.

No, he was defending the desperation headlock....remind you, the kid that got hit for stalling was the only kid shooting...even with 45 sec left he shot he didn't run around the mat he did what any of us would do with 10/15 sec left when we know the only move to beat you is a headlock and you haven't been hit yet for stalling and know you can afford 1....."3" in that time that's ludicrous on all levels and as a coach "Any Coach" would be more than upset!!

Taking shots is not the only way to be offensive in a wrestling match, this is one of the biggest problems with stalling calls. Working to score slide byes, prescotts, snap downs, etc. are offensive moves, more offensive than half hearted shots. That may not be the case here but in the long run it's a learning lesson for your wrestler, keep working to score and the ref can't hit you for stalling. 3 in 15 seconds is more than 99.9999% of officials have or will ever call.

Side note, anybody seeing an increase in fleeing the mat calls? We got hit with a bunch this past Saturday, once our kid stepped out as he was taking a shot and got dinged....

Ouch... I've not seen fleeing that mat or avoiding wrestling called yet this year, though I would have called it once or twice so far.  

Last night I saw a kid get warned for stalling while he was fighting off a cradle attempt. 30 seconds later he was hit with stalling while on his back in the cradle. First time I've seen that one

So his opponent got near-fall and a stalling point??  But that's.....that's not even a thing..... 

Back in the day while,  (25+ years ago),  I was wrestling at the end of the match where I had a 1 point lead.  I took a shot and got a single leg but I didnt finish and went out of bounds with 1 second on the clock.   Went back to the restart and oopponent took a desperation shot,  I sprawled  and the ref hit me for stalling and and already had a warning so tied up the match.  He said I took a step back, so that was stalling.

Back in the day while,  (25+ years ago),  I was wrestling at the end of the match where I had a 1 point lead.  I took a shot and got a single leg but I didnt finish and went out of bounds with 1 second on the clock.   Went back to the restart and oopponent took a desperation shot,  I sprawled  and the ref hit me for stalling and and already had a warning so tied up the match.  He said I took a step back, so that was stalling.

But that was the way they did things back then, no stepping back.

Back then a wrestler could get disqualified for taking an opponent down and then purposely letting him up (running up takedowns). Refs would say that you weren't working for the fall...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.