Chris Traicoff Memorial Wrestling Invitational @ Calumet H.S.: Tourney Draw

Coach Wadkins

2014 Chris Traicoff Memorial Wrestling Invitational Pairings

@Calumet High School, Gary, Indiana

Saturday, December 13, 2014

These pairings are final!! They will NOT be changed after they've been posted on Indiana Mat.

FIRST ROUND PAIRINGS

Top Bracket                                                                                     Bottom Bracket

#1) Franklin vs. Calumet                                                             #3) Crown Point vs. Munster

#8) South Bend Riley vs. Lowell                                                #6) Mishawaka vs. Westfield

#5) Lawrence North vs. Hanover Central                                  #7) Southmont vs. Valparaiso

#4) Portage vs. Floyd Central                                                     #2) Cathedral vs. Lake Station

Factors taken into consideration in pairings were:

1) The most recent IHSWCA & Indiana Mat Team Rankings.

2) Early results from the 2014-15 season, thus far, as reported on Indiana Mat or other available online media outlets.

3) Separating the teams, so that each has the best chance of seeking their own level in the placement rounds.

4) Avoiding 1st round rematches from last year, with an effort to keep local rivals apart for at least Round #1.

In a possible 2nd round match-up between LN and Portage, wonder if they might bump Cash up to wrestle Lawrence . . . ?

Lawrence North and Portage wrestled a couple weeks ago

Portage won 46-18

170: Cameron Jones (LawN) over Ismael Cornejo (PORT) (Fall 1:29) 182: Ricky Samuels (LawN) over Alex Guerrero (PORT) (SV-1 9-7) 195: Matt Hedrick (PORT) over Lance Mayfield (LawN) (Dec 5-3) 220: Braden Majewski (PORT) over John Ogorek (LawN) (Dec 10-5) 285: Giovani Murillo (PORT) over Robert Samuels (LawN) (Fall 5:30) 106: Colin Poynter (PORT) over Amante Young (LawN) (MD 13-3) 113: Chance Kludt (PORT) over Dheontae Unseld (LawN) (Fall 2:47) 120: Miguel Prado (PORT) over Isaac Castro (LawN) (SV-1 7-5) 126: Gaige Torres (PORT) over Adrian Gardfrey (LawN) (Fall 1:23) 132: Tyler Joseph (PORT) over (LawN) (For.) 138: Tommy Cash (LawN) over Kasper McIntosh (PORT) (Fall 0:45) 145: Steven Lawrence (PORT) over (LawN) (For.) 152: Davin Gonzalez (PORT) over Bryan Carrender (LawN) (Dec 6-3) 160: James Turner (LawN) over Iszak Morgan (PORT) (Dec 7-4)

Valpo vs. Southmont could be a good first round match. Valpo has some solid kids in their lineup.

Mishawaka vs. Westfield will be a barn burner too, could see Westfield with the "upset"

Loolks like Westfield had some disapointing early results.   Was it due to the football players werent wrestling yet?    Not sure how they're ranked ahead of Brownsburg losing 55-6 to them.    Southmount is pretty salty and they got a good dual team.

The same team that got beat by Prairie Heights?

I believe they were missing a bunch of guys to start the season . I can't find where they wrestled Prairie Heights , look at the Plymouth results this past weekend when at full strength.  They look much stronger than Mishawaka .

Mishawaka-- 39    Peru--31

Mishawaka -- 39   Plymouth--37

South Bend Riley--57  Peru--15

South Bend Riley--55   Plymouth --11

I believe they were missing a bunch of guys to start the season . I can't find where they wrestled Prairie Heights , look at the Plymouth results this past weekend when at full strength. They look much stronger than Mishawaka .

Mishawaka-- 39 Peru--31

Mishawaka -- 39 Plymouth--37

South Bend Riley--57 Peru--15

South Bend Riley--55 Plymouth --11

Try this IndianaMat website

http://indianamat.com/index.php/page/team_listing.html/_/indiana/south-bend-riley-r271

Here are the names and numbers for Traicoff this weekend

37- State Ranked Wrestlers

6 - #1 State Ranked Wrestlers

5 - Possible Top 8 Match Ups

Possible Top 8 Match Ups

@ 126#  #3 Jason Crary - Munster  VS  #4 Gaige Torres - Portage

@ 170#  #1 Jacob Stevenson - Franklin Community  VS  #5 Ben Harvey - Cathedral

@195#  #1 Blake Rypel - Catherdral  VS  #7 Nick Fowler - Calumet

@285#  #6 Quinn York - Franklin Community  VS  #7 Ian Suttles - Valpo

BIG MATCH UP OF THE WEEKEND

@160#  #1 Drew Hughes - Lowell  VS  #2 Darden Schurg - Crown Point

Unfortunately non of these 5 match ups are definite being as non are in the same pool.

Riley lost to Goshen by 2 pts 40-38 at Harrison then beat them 52-18 with most the lineup in the very next week...with all of the quality teams at the Traicoff should be some good battles for sure.

I do not understand why teams schedule stuff where they see teams multiple times in duals during the season.

I do not understand why teams schedule stuff where they see teams multiple times in duals during the season.

Maybe not in a dual format , but Penn was nipped by Portage(team score) last weekend at the Harvest classic(Individual Scoring). Don't know about Portage , but Penn had a couple guys out , plus half the team was only in the room maybe 2 weeks because of Football . Penn will see Portage next weekend in a Dual format at the Penn super dual . It will allow them a shot at redemption if you will . So in this case I like it . 

portage won that tourney, and got no  respect and it was an individual tourney like state, today they  beat merrriville (sp) 38-22 in a dual ,so what ever criteral  is being used i think portage should get some thought

portage won that tourney, and got no  respect and it was an individual tourney like state, today they  beat merrriville (sp) 38-22 in a dual ,so what ever criteral  is being used i think portage should get some thought

For sure , Portage may be a top 5 team . 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.