Headlocks

poppem215

Most coaches hate them because they are dangerous. They are very effective for a needed 6 points. You will have a lot of success with a full headlock series but will need a lot more to win a state title. You are a fool if you regard it as junk. Smart wrestlers respect its lethal  and legal pinning components. Some natural skills are required to be an effective head locker.

Kurt Kinser (Bloomington South) and Billy Naegle (Laport) had the best headlocks I've seen in Indiana.  Nagle destroyed people at Fargo with it on his way to third place.  Even pinned the defending national champion Rocco Caponi.  He also had a Friday night shocker against, I think one of the Dewig's of Mater Dei who was #1 in the state.

Kurt Kinser (Bloomington South) and Billy Naegle (Laport) had the best headlocks I've seen in Indiana.  Nagle destroyed people at Fargo with it on his way to third place.  Even pinned the defending national champion Rocco Caponi.  He also had a Friday night shocker against, I think one of the Dewig's of Mater Dei who was #1 in the state.

Kurt and Billy's were both good. I'll add Matt Puckett and Tony Abbott to the conversation for the older generation. Both nasty in their own right. 

Best headlock I've witnessed personally: Finals match between McKinley and Kiefer a couple years ago. BOOM!

I missed this match (which is fine because I was rooting for the Rebels) but I heard about the throw. Those were two tough dudes battling it out 4? Or 5? times that year.

I ran into McKinley a while back and he looked like a shorter version of Brock Lesnar.

Good luck to McKinley and Kiefer this year at Cleveland State and Uindy.

Always nice to have a headlock in your back pocket. Never know when it might be there to use. But if dependent on it not gonna get very far.

Hmmm what if you can throw it anytime from anywhere like kinser could?

in the region when wrestling the pirates and coach maldonado  we try and drill our kids to stay away from the headlock and look out for it, but he teaches it so well and teaches multiple positions to use it,that it is sometimes a moment of "How did that just happen?" 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.