Indiana's progression in wrestling

Jayruss

I remember when one of our most ballyhooed wrestlers of an era Patrick Cassidy from B. North was only a .500 wrestler in college. He was a 3x state champ and a legend of his time, but was an avg wrestler on the national scene. I feel like we've come along way since then. This is no knock on Cassidy

This is what I told a Big 10 coach this weekend.

I'll take Indiana's state champs against any state and we'll win 6-8 matches. Our 2nds will win probably 4-7, but past that it gets really ugly. Our depth isn't there, but getting stronger.

Place like Contenders, CIA, RWA, Humphrey's and even Maurer/Coughlin and the others are helping the state get better and better. The bad thing is these places are located in our most populated areas and they are still missing a lot of other wrestlers.

We are still behind Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, but making good strides. We are starting to have kids that aren't top 4 do well in national level events which shows our depth is improving. Even having success at the college level with DII, DIII, NAIA schools shows we are improving.

We still have a ways to go, but the progress in this state over the past 10-15 shows great signs for the future.

I'll take Indiana's state champs against any state and we'll win 6-8 matches. Our 2nds will win probably 4-7, but past that it gets really ugly. Our depth isn't there, but getting stronger.

Place like Contenders, CIA, RWA, Humphrey's and even Maurer/Coughlin and the others are helping the state get better and better. The bad thing is these places are located in our most populated areas and they are still missing a lot of other wrestlers.

We are still behind Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, but making good strides. We are starting to have kids that aren't top 4 do well in national level events which shows our depth is improving. Even having success at the college level with DII, DIII, NAIA schools shows we are improving.

We still have a ways to go, but the progress in this state over the past 10-15 shows great signs for the future.

An accurate assessment, I agree 100%.

I agree!!! My son goes to CIA twice a week (past three years) which is over an hour away. It's definitely worth the drive, effort, and every penny spent. He didn't start wrestling until his freshman year, and between camps, off season tournaments, and CIA it's pretty amazing to me at how he wrestles today compared to then.

I'll take Indiana's state champs against any state and we'll win 6-8 matches.

Couldn't agree more that we've got big-time talent that can bang with anyone at the top of every weight class for the upcoming season.

However, this statement above is an overstatement if we're talking about the 3 biggest dogs (PA, IL, OH). 

If we wrestle Pennsylvania or Illinois right now with our expected state champions for the upcoming season, we're slight favorites in 2 weights, they're slight favorites in about 7 and significant favorites in the rest.  No way we win "6-8".

Against Ohio, we're slight favorites in potentially 5 weights; they're slight to heavy favorites in the rest.  We could definitely win 6 on the right day, but it's still less than a 50/50 proposition that we take 6 from them. 

I'd say we're in the "6-8" range against the next group of top wrestling states (MN, CA, IA, etc) and clear favorites to win a dual against about 42 states.

I thought Pat was pretty good. Pretty high on the list of all-time falls. Ranked as high as 5th his senior year. NCAA qualifier, 5-0 at Virginia Duals, 1st at Northern Iowa Open, runner-up at St. Louis Open. Changing the weight to class from 118 to 125 probably didn't help him much. He could probably still make 125.

I'm all about how well our guys do at the Division I level of wrestling. What have we had in the past ten to fifteen years, like 3 DI NCAA Champs? (Angel, A. Howe, and Tsirtsis). If that number is correct and I'm not forgetting anyone, I would have to say that is quite lackluster compared to the big-time wrestling states in the U.S.  Are our DI produced wrestlers not as thoroughly prepared for the next level because of the lack of depth and competition in our state??? I think that might be the case!

I'm all about how well our guys do at the Division I level of wrestling. What have we had in the past ten to fifteen years, like 3 DI NCAA Champs? (Angel, A. Howe, and Tsirtsis). If that number is correct and I'm not forgetting anyone, I would have to say that is quite lackluster compared to the big-time wrestling states in the U.S.  Are our DI produced wrestlers not as thoroughly prepared for the next level because of the lack of depth and competition in our state??? I think that might be the case!

Again, Y2's statement was an overstatement.  Based on expected weights for the upcoming season, we would win, on average, 3-4 matches in a state champs dual meet against the biggest 3 wrestling states, from which come a huge portion of the national champs.  This past season, we had 3 ex-Indiana guys at about All-American or better level.  I think we're set up to continue at about that level in the future.  We'll get an occasional champ, but we're not near those Big 3 states.

Can someone figure out the population breakdown of the top five or 6

States ?  I'm sure it plays a factor !

This is from theopenmat a few years ago.  It has data that reflects population influence, and it would be a pretty accurate assessment of where we still stand today compared to other wrestling states.

http://news.theopenmat.com/2011/11/calculating-the-top-25-high-school-wrestling-states/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.