Rypel vs Sliga

Jayruss

Rypel is not in Sliga's class at this point.  Let's go ahead and compare their notable wins.  Sliga had 4 fargo titles and a folkstyle title at this point in his career.  Let's also not forget what he did at Fila Jrs while still a high schooler.  He beat Braden Atwood in his first go and placed.  He followed that up the next year with wins over Tim Dudley (starter and 9 seed at NCAAs), Jack Dechow (NCAA All-American 4th place), and Gabe Dean (NCAA All-American 3rd place, Junior World 3rd)  Sliga also placed 5th at Cadet Worlds.  Rypel did win National titles this spring which is impressive.  However, you need to look at the kids he beat.  NHSCA is an extremely watered down tournament now and USAW is getting to that point as well.  Rypel did not beat a single nationally ranked opponent at either of these tournaments.  Fargo is where the studs show up and Sliga has 5 of those titles.  With that being said, Rypel is definitely one of my favorites to watch and I hope to see him atop the podium this season.  He just has a LONG way to go before we compare him to Sliga.

Again you are throwing in junior and senior year accomplishments when you mention the FILA Jr results. He finished 8th while beating Atwood...but again that was after his junior year was completed. His FILA Cadet 5th place in the World results also after his Junior year. The wins over Dean, Dechow, and Dudley were all after his senior year...once again a tad unfair to throw those into the mix against a kid that only has two years on the high school mat.

Here is his TrackWrestling profile just for reference

http://s102.trackwrestling.com/tw/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?TIM=1410438540622&twSessionId=thqxzsrquplnlre&twId=7026009

When Sliga won his Fargo titles he did not defeat any ranked opponents. Fargo Cadet titles at the upper weights are a great accomplishment, but in the end are on par with an NHSCA title and even a USAW Junior Folkstyle title. That is why you didn't see Sliga start getting recognition in the national rankings until after his sophomore year and the same with Rypel. To go even further to prove that Sliga was ranked 9th by Intermat in December of his Junior year, while Rypel is 8th by Flo right now. My guess is Rypel will be in the 8-10 range when Intermat does their next update. Both only got into the rankings when the previous year's seniors were cleared out of the rankings.

Now lets do a rundown to show they are in the same class after TWO YEARS of high school wrestling

National Rankings are similar at this point, Sliga 9th, Rypel 8th

Two state medals by both: Sliga 2-3rds, Rypel 7th, 2nd

Both won national events: Sliga 5 Cadet titles, Rypel USAW Junior and NHSCA Sophomore

To say that Rypel isn't in Sliga's class when you compare their freshman and sophomore years is absurd. They are both at very similar levels in state and nationally at this point in their careers. Just like Wade you keep trying to throw in results from seasons that Rypel has yet to wrestle and thus make your argument invalid. How on earth anyone can say two kids that are both nationally ranked within a couple spots of each other at the same point in their careers are not in the same class absolutely blows my mind.

Rypel did not beat a single nationally ranked opponent at either of these tournaments. 

Actually he did beat a few Nationally ranked wrestlers. At USAW, he had Chase Singletary in the finals who is ranked 16 on Flo and 18 on AWP and along the way beat Jordan Deiringer who recently fell from the top 20 on Flo.  In the finals at NHSCA, he had Ross Graham who is ranked 19 on AWP.

He has beaten Max Dean, #10 on Flo 170 three times this past summer.

This year at IHPO, he beat #20 Dakota Geer in the finals and last year at IHPO, he beat David-Brian Whisler who is 17 on Flo and 13 on AWP.

Also, he beat Beau Breske in a freestyle match a few months ago.  Breske won both Cadet and Freestyle championships at Fargo this year (and I believe last year) and is #3 on Flo at 170.

Mitch Sliga is a legend and no one is discrediting his success.  His success is definintely more widely know with the freestyle competition that he has had whereas Blake has competed more at dual competitions and a few big tournaments.  He was injured last year and missed out on Cadets duals and Fargo. Maybe we will see him hitting things like Super 32, Flo, and Fargo this year and see how similar their Junior years are.  As of now though, I think they are comparable through their Sophomore years even if Mitch has an edge. I dont think anyone is saying that Rypel is better than him, just that they are similar since they both have had success at higher weights at a young age.

Thank god  I have Y2CJ41 backing me up in these arguments. My argument was because they seemed to have pretty good frosh and soph years at the upper weights. And I also knew they both got some national recognition as well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.