Rypel vs Sliga

Jayruss

Saying Rypel isn't in Sliga's class is a joke. Rypel is right there with where Sliga was after his sophomore year. I'll let two more years pass before I even start to compare these two.

That's a bold statement.

Sliga prior to junior season... won Folkstyle Nationals as a Freshman.  He won 4 Fargo Titles (4 for 4, 2 freestyle and 2 Greco) all before his junior year.  Fargo is the biggest and toughest test for high school kids in the country.  He got 3rd at Super 32 before his Sophomore year. He also got 3rd at state as a freshman, losing to Atwood in semis (multiple time NCAA qualifier, currently ranked top 10 in country as a senior at Purdue).  He got 3rd as a sophomore too, losing to a guy who went on to compete at the next level as well

Sliga also made the world team after his junior season, going on to get 5th in the world that summer.  Then his senior year he went out and won the prestigious junior national Fargo freestyle title.  And he dominated his last 2 seasons of high school including winning by fall in both state finals matches.  Placed at fila juniors before his senior year... beat multiple guys that won matches at the NCAA Division 1 tournament that year. 

No disrespect to Rypel he's a great wrestler,  but don't forget how impressive Mitch Sliga was and still is on and off the mat.  Great kid who got it done in the classroom and on the wrestling mat at a high level.  Excited to watch him compete this year as a Redshirt Freshman at Northwestern!

It's not a bold statement it's a true statement.

Are you saying placing 7th, 2nd at state, winning NHSCA Sophomore's and Junior Folkstyle aren't comparable to two 3rds and winning some cadet titles at Fargo?

You're trying to compare two years of accomplishments to four when you throw in anything starting his Junior year including the Super 32 placement.  Putting Sliga and Rypel in the same class is not disrespecting either and both deserve to be talked about in the same sentence.

That's a bold statement.

Sliga prior to junior season... won Folkstyle Nationals as a Freshman.  He won 4 Fargo Titles (4 for 4, 2 freestyle and 2 Greco) all before his junior year.  Fargo is the biggest and toughest test for high school kids in the country.  He got 3rd at Super 32 before his Sophomore year. He also got 3rd at state as a freshman, losing to Atwood in semis (multiple time NCAA qualifier, currently ranked top 10 in country as a senior at Purdue).  He got 3rd as a sophomore losing to Johnson-Jones in the semis, who went on to win a NJCAA National Title.

Sliga also made the world team after his junior season, going on to get 5th in the world that summer.  Then his senior year he went out and won the prestigious junior national Fargo freestyle title.  And he dominated his last 2 seasons of high school including winning by fall in both state finals matches.  Placed at fila juniors before his senior year... beat multiple guys that won matches at the NCAA Division 1 tournament that year. 

No disrespect to Rypel he's a great wrestler,  but don't forget how impressive Mitch Sliga was and still is on and off the mat.  Great kid who got it done in the classroom and on the wrestling mat at a high level.  Excited to watch him compete this year as a Redshirt Freshman at Northwestern!

Sliga lost to Aaron Stevenson in the semis his sophomore year.

Touche Troll, I corrected it.  He lost to Johnson-Jones at Semi State.

Yes Y2,  I am saying that placing 7th isn't the same as 3rd as a Freshman.  "Some Cadet Titles in Fargo"... I didn't know those were so "easy" to win.  It is the premiere competition in the country for high school wrestlers.  And yes I am also saying 4 for 4 at Cadets in Fargo is more impressive than an NHSCA Sophomore Division title. 

But you say nothing of winning a Junior Folkstyle title the same year Sliga didn't even win a Cadet Folkstyle title.... You also must have forgotten Sliga's first year as a Junior at Fargo. You may also have a cloudy memory in that Rypel pinned the eventual state champ as a freshman.

You can say all day that to this point Sliga is ahead of Rypel and I wouldn't necessarily disagree.  However to say that both aren't in the same class shows absolute ignorance and heavy bias on your part.  They both have had an immense amount of success in their first two years of high school at the state and national level and on top of that started at upper weights wrestling many juniors and seniors.

thanks for the info to back up my claim and prove that it wasnt "a joke" as Y2 claimed lol.

The only thing Y2 said that isnt a joke is that both are great and both deserve to be talked about.

Sliga is Sliga though and nobody else is close...fact!

Rypel is great but couldnt even touch McCloskey and Im pretty sure McCloskey hasnt been talked about being in Sliga's class.

my my my how some people seem to forget in just a short couple years.

thanks for the info to back up my claim and prove that it was "a joke" as Y2 claimed lol.

The only thing Y2 said that isnt a joke is that both are great and both deserve to be talked about.

Sliga is Sliga though and nobody else is close...fact!

Rypel is great but couldnt even touch McCloskey and Im pretty sure McCloskey hasnt been talked about being in Sliga's class.

my my my how some people seem to forget in just a short couple years.

You mean a 2-1 loss at 2013 IHPO and 8-6 loss at semi-state are not touching McCloskey?

or the beat down at the spartan classic...yes, all three...so is McCloskey in sliga's class since he was 3-0 against Rypel?

Yes the 3-1 beatdown...wow amazing beatdown. A junior returning 3rd placer beating a freshman 3-1 is definitely a beatdown.

McCloskey can certainly be put into the same sentence as guys like Johnson-Jones, Duckworth, and Atwood who all handed Sliga losses his first two years.

Mccloskey is pretty tough tough freshman draw then 3rd and 2nd and lost his senior year.

No doubt...and I predict a multi time NCAA all american

BUT...he went 3-0 against rypel and if rypel is soooooo in sliga's class that anything other than that opinion is totally ignorance or bias, then mccloskey must be better than Sliga right?

Y2, I guess we will always have the last laugh in 2013 at 160lbs... I can live with that. 

I agree Rypel is a great wrestler, just think it's a very premature to put him in Sliga's class with the statistics/results you came up with. 

Duckworth and Johnson-Jones were state champions and were successful in collegiate wrestling.  Again I don't know how you think that puts McCloskey in their class as of right now (could change with how he does in college), sounds like a bias opinion to me. 

Y2, I guess we will always have the last laugh in 2013 at 160lbs... I can live with that. 

I agree Rypel is a great wrestler, just think it's a very premature to put him in Sliga's class with the statistics/results you came up with.

If he gets 2 titles then we will see but rypel does have a 2nd place medal sliga didn't get....that's a joke guys

Duckworth and Johnson-Jones were state champions and were successful in collegiate wrestling.  Again I don't know how you think that puts McCloskey in their class as of right now (could change with how he does in college), sounds like a bias opinion to me. 

Again you seem to fail to compare guys when they are at similar age/grade. Sliga and Rypel are very close in their accomplishments when Sliga was at this stage of his career. The same goes with comparing Duckworth, Johnson-Jones and McCloskey. You're saying that Duckworth and Johnson-Jones are better based on college accomplishments when McCloskey hasn't even had his first college practice.

Sliga's four medals along with Rypel being a heavy favorite for four also puts them both in extremely select company. That along with both winning solid national events makes them very comparable. Rypel still has a long way to go before even the high school chapter of his career is finished. Give it two years before you start proclaiming that Sliga is miles ahead of Rypel when they were in high school. 

I really hate these conversations!  All I have to say is that Sliga was and is one of the best wrestlers I have seen in person.

I would also say the Rypel is an athletic freak!  If I was a collage coach.  Rypel would be equally as attractive of a recruit

as Sliga was.

No I'm saying Johnson-Jones, Duck, and that McClurg guy at 160lbs in 2013 that beat McCloskey in the semi state finals and the state finals... Those 3 guys all finished higher on the ihsaa podium than McCloskey ever did.  Those three were state champs, that's all I'm saying.  You're probably using the nhsca brackets to compare their high school careers.  Maybe that's why I can't comprehend your logic.

No I'm saying Johnson-Jones, Duck, and that McClurg guy at 160lbs in 2013 that beat McCloskey in the semi state finals and the state finals... Those 3 guys all finished higher on the ihsaa podium than McCloskey ever did.  Those three were state champs, that's all I'm saying.  You're probably using the nhsca brackets to compare their high school careers.  Maybe that's why I can't comprehend your logic.

So McCloskey is a nobody because he never won a state title? Seriously? He deserves to be in the same breath as those you mentioned even without wrestling his senior year. To just throw him out of the mix is absurd especially when his senior season was cut short when he was one of the favorites in the weight.  If he would have been healthy and placed 5th at state then I could see your point.  However, we both know if he was healthy he was the favorite at state last year.

You are using extremely faulty logic if you want to just throw out a kid with a 3rd and 2nd place finish and a senior season cut short due to injury.

My guess is you will say those three are way better than Vinny Corsaro who has four medals, but no championships.

I would put Vinny in the same breath because he is not only a 3x runner up, but also is a Junior Fargo All American also got 5th at Flo (both tournaments college coaches look at a lot, hint why he got such a great scholarship to Big 10 Rutgers).  And I never said McCloskey is a nobody, so don't put words in my mouth.  I was just trying to understand your logic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.