Junior world championships

maligned

USA has some interesting people at the Junior Worlds this week, including our very own Kayla Miracle. 

Adam Coon (U. of Michigan super frosh) will wrestle for bronze in greco later today.  All 7 other greco guys lost early.  We continue to lag far behind in greco.  Even Coon, a fantastic talent, got teched in 29 seconds by the Russian in the semi's (I was all excited to see the match, but the pudgy little Russian gets an angle from double underhooks and Coon heads to feet-and-hands to give up the takedown and gets launched backward for greco-5 and then gutted back and forth twice before I can take my first bite of popcorn).

Men's and women's freestyle still to come over the next 4 days.  Lots of experienced young guns that Indiana's best have come up against will be there.  I'm less familiar with some of the female stars, but our men's team has 3 past cadet or junior world champs (megastars Pico, Coon, and Snyder) and several already-established NCAA stars.  All the matches are being streamed via a link at the top of FILA's website: www.fila-official.com

Coon takes the bronze in Greco and ends up as the only American with a top 10 finish.  He'll try to double up in freestyle in a couple days.  We finish tied for 16th in the Greco team race.

Kayla Miracle will be wrestling tomorrow in the Women's Freestyle competition.

Decent bracket...female powers Russia, Japan, Canada, Ukraine all on the opposite side.  She's got a Turk who was 9th at cadet worlds, then either Kazakhstan or Belarus, whose winner should be pretty good.  After that, though, she'd have someone in the quarters from 1 of 4 very non-traditional wrestling nations.  I believe wrestling starts at 10am Croatia time (4am eastern/3am central, so she'll be well into her day before most people are awake). 

Kayla gets a nice win in the round of 32.  The Turk had the better of the action for a minute and a half until Kayla hit a beautiful fireman's, took her to her back and stuck her.  Kazakhstan next.

And again. Leading 4-2, Kayla hits the exact same hesitation fireman's, catching the girl on the wrong foot, ends up deep in the armpit and takes her straight to her back for the fall.  She's got a German in the quarters who also has 2 falls so far; but they've come against non-wrestling nations, so I'm not sure how tough she actually is.

Kayla drops a 4-3 nailbiter.  I think she's going to be a little disappointed with how it turned out because she gave up 3 points she probably shouldn't have.  Up 2-0, she held on a touch too long on a turn attempt and the German hit a slick reversal that wouldn't have been available if Kayla hadn't been taking a significant risk with her position.  Then, she relaxed a bit going out of bounds later, realizing she was giving up a pushout, but the German followed through and got a 2 takedown instead.  To her credit, the German constantly controlled Kayla's left wrist and/or shook off her arm ties so that Kayla's fireman's attempts were limited to only a couple chances.

My guess is that the German will lose to the Romanian in the semi's, which would be disappointing because I really think Kayla's style would have matched up well against the Romanian, who's tall and athletic but seems to stand tall, content to tie up and try throws. 

My guess is that the German will lose to the Romanian in the semi's, which would be disappointing because I really think Kayla's style would have matched up well against the Romanian, who's tall and athletic but seems to stand tall, content to tie up and try throws.

I was wrong...the German gets a late takedown to win and bring Kayla back in against the winner of Austria/Italy, both of whom the German destroyed.  If she wins, she'd have the Romanian in the bronze medal match.

Kayla fights past a tough Italian, battling back from a 4-2 deficit to take a 6-4 lead before getting the pin with 15 seconds left when the Italian tries a risky throw off of Kayla's shot and just lies flat on her back, giving up.

As mentioned above, Kayla will have the Romanian in the 59kg (130lbs) bronze medal match.  Also, Doi will wrestle for bronze for us at 44kg (97lbs).  Our girls at 51 and 67kg have been eliminated.

Kayla destroys the Romanian to take a Junior World Championship bronze medal.  Way to go, Kayla!

The German that beat Kayla got teched in 1 minute by the Japanese in the gold medal match.  The Japanese girl did something similar to everyone she wrestled. 

Doi also takes bronze for us, bringing our medal count to 3 bronze from 12 weights through Greco and half of the ladies.

Francis at 72kg (158.5lbs) is the only woman we have wrestling for a medal today.  She'll go for bronze at around 1pm eastern time, while our other three ladies today were eliminated earlier.

Tomorrow and Sunday are the men's freestyle days.  Wrestling tomorrow are high school stars Moody, McKenna and Anthony Valencia, along with defending junior world champion Kyle Snyder.

Francis gets bronze, bringing our ladies' total to 3 bronze from 8 weights and our overall total to 4 bronze from 16 weights.  Men's freestyle gets going at 4am eastern time, again streaming on fila-official.com

Mens Freestyle

50kg: Moody Jabari wrestling for Bronze

60kg: Joey McKenna wrestling for Gold

74kg: Anthony Valencia goes 2-1 and is eliminated

96kg: Kyle Snyer goes 3-1 and is wrestling for Bronze

Wow...great afternoon of wrestling ahead, if you're interested.  All 4 guys going for medals at Noon eastern time on fila-official.com.  Gilman, Dean, and Coon will wrestle for bronze and the phenom Pico goes for gold. 

People said going in that we had a ridiculous freestyle lineup.  It's turned out to be true.  The only guy who didn't wrestle for a medal was Valencia, who was winning and got stuck by the eventual bronze medalist.  From today's group, Gilman and Dean came very, very close to wrestling for gold also.  We could end up with 6 medals and a 5th from 8 weights from this VERY prestigious event.  It's winners are always competing for medals at senior worlds and Olympics a couple of years down the road.  Great sign for our freestyle future.

Gilman - Bronze

Pico - Silver

Dean - Bronze (by injury default)

Coon - Bronze

6 of our 8 Men's Freestyler medals with the other two just barely missing a medal (Moody 5th and Valencia pinned while easily winning)

Men's Freestyle

Iran wins (6 total medals too but more golds)

US 2nd

Russia 3rd

Pico loses 9-2

It's going to be interesting to see his further development.  He's for real, no doubt about it.  The Iranian absolutely dismantled his other 4 opponents, never coming close to going 6 minutes against top-notch traditional wrestling powers.  Pico arguably outwrestled him for 4 minutes, at which point he was down 3-2, with a bit of bad luck mixed in.  He then had to push the pace some and got in some bad spots that allowed for the Iranian to pour it on.  I think the Iranian was better--but he was an absolute beast that I think Pico would beat 3 out of 10 times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.