Tell me about Indiana Wrestling

Hawk-I

Family relocating to Indians outside the  Indianapolis area most likely north or west. Wrestling family from Iowa, well decorated to be ninth grader, and sixth grade clubber.

What can you tell me about the state? Just looking to continue with the sport they love.

Private Clubs?

High School State?

Schools?

Tourneys?

How do we get the matches? Wrestled 121 matches last year 107-14.

Any outstanding high school programs or clubs?

???

The first question the masses here will have is what weight does the 9th grader wrestle?  ha ha

I am from the southern part of the state so information I can give you on the Indianapolis would be incomplete.  That said there are several strong programs in the area.  Wrestling in the state has improved in the past decade especially at the elite level. 

Hopefully, you will get a lot of good and unbiased information here about the area as a whole and various programs.  Hopefully you will enjoy this site and wrestling in Indiana. 

Welcome!

Thanks Indiana for the feedback... Got many PMs on where and why, and offers for more information -of which I will be reaching out. Thanks again Indiana for making us feel at home already.

Oh and to the comment above the soon to be ninth grader is hovering around 35 right now so upper 20 s by season he was USA #2 in Iowa and AAU #3 in Iowa last year itching to get to High School ands get his bumps and bruises out of the way. Wrestled 5 varsity matches already this year at Grandview College in DesMoines - again thanks to all, and if you have any opinions please.

Welcome to Indiana...sounds like your son might (if your sons weight is 126-132) get to meet Joe and or Nick Lee.

Or two time state champ Chad Red.  120 was pretty deep last year.  Not sure how many of those guys will move up (or 113's) but Brock Hudkins, Bailey LaHue, Connor Knapp and Sawyer Miller all return.  126 had a lot of seniors last year, but 113 returns Tyler Ferguson and Garrett Pepple.  Should definitely be some good competition depending on exactly how the weights shake out.  Great to have another wrestler come and join the mix. 

It will be good to see how we stack up against a state like Iowa. I've always believed that the rest of the country undestimates the quality of IN wrestlers, I think you appreciate our level of wrestling here. I think our top wrestlers will stack up right with Iowa, but I believe Iowa will have us in the depth dept.

It will be good to see how we stack up against a state like Iowa. I've always believed that the rest of the country undestimates the quality of IN wrestlers, I think you appreciate our level of wrestling here. I think our top wrestlers will stack up right with Iowa, but I believe Iowa will have us in the depth dept.

Nationwide data shows Indiana consistently around 8th to 12th in the nation in terms of quality and depth of talent.  Iowa is usually around 5th or 6th--an outstanding feat considering their small population.  They easily outdistance all states in all-americans and nationally ranked kids per capita, though the raw depth falls considerably behind PA, OH, IL, CA, and sometimes MN and a couple others because of the small population.

We have the best message board and website.  Bar none.  Same topics every year about the same time.  And it never gets old.  Always a few new trolls every year until Y2 gives them the boot or another admin does and Y2 gets blamed for it.

Also I believe you will be extremely impressed with our individual State Finals.  One class/one champ/one spotlight.  Just hope your boy doesn't get a bad draw on his way.  No wrestle backs.

Welcome to the Hoosier State where the basketball mindset trickle downs to everything.

That about sums it up.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.