Ersland Hire

Wow, been waiting patiently through the hiring process, but Purdue has really outdone themselves..  Absolutely awful hire.  You had Eric Guerrero interested, West Virginia just hired Sammy Henson, Donny Pritzlaff on the move, etc.  There's no reason Purdue, a B1G school, can't land a quality name.

Scott Hinkel was an All-American 1x, Chris Fleeger was an All-American 3x..

Tony Ersland, guess how many times?  NONE

None of the high school kids he's going to try to recruit will have ever heard of him, nor seen him wrestle.  This is a huge problem!

Going to wait until they announce the rest of the staff, but at least Fleeger had a relevant-enough name to get in the door with a lot of these high school kids who have at least heard of him or watched him wrestle.

Not to mention, I'm extremely put-off by the press release that Purdue put out which gives Ersland credit for the international success of Jordan Burroughs and Jake Herbert.  Burroughs himself has given credit in Flo interviews to Mark Manning, Bryan Snyder, and Zeke Jones.  I've never heard Ersland's name mentioned, nor is he in any of the Olympic footage, or any of the footage from the most recent Burroughs World Title.  Herbert was an old NYAC guy with Bormet, Pritzlaff, Hrovat, etc.  Nowhere in any Jake Herbert international matches have I ever seen Ersland in the corner.

Way to go Calvin and Morgan, you've ensured that you will be a B1G doormat for years to come..

My first thought was skepticism, but looking at Ersland's resume, he has been part of some strong programs. Obviously, being coached by Gable and being part of three national championship teams, he has been around the best. ALL of the programs that he has coached in have been successful. He has been around some great coaches over the past 17 years. I was one that really wanted to go after a "Big Name", and I thought Kolat, Henson, etc. would have been awesome. However, I'm also trying to remember that being a great wrestler does not mean that a guy is going to be a great coach. The fact that he missed out on AA status shouldn't disqualify him from being a great coach. Good luck to Tony Ersland and his staff and I for one am hoping that he wants to get involved in Indiana wrestling and help the entire state grow!

None of the high school kids he's going to try to recruit will have ever heard of him, nor seen him wrestle.  This is a huge problem!

Going to wait until they announce the rest of the staff, but at least Fleeger had a relevant-enough name to get in the door with a lot of these high school kids who have at least heard of him or watched him wrestle.

Way to go Calvin and Morgan, you've ensured that you will be a B1G doormat for years to come..

Purdue had "well known" coaches and college All American wrestlers who were coaches, but that apparently did not translate into success for the program.  What exactly is wrong with going in a different direction when you are already on the bottom?

However, I'm also trying to remember that being a great wrestler does not mean that a guy is going to be a great coach. The fact that he missed out on AA status shouldn't disqualify him from being a great coach.

Apparently, you can only be a good coach if you have the right athletic credentials.  I agree that a bigger name would help with recruiting, but that doesn't mean some of the bigger names that were thrown out as suggestions would be able to develop the talent.  Regardless of what we think, now that he's the coach, we should see what he does with the program before making any judgements 

Mudflap I think your message title was something like..... when is enough enough.  Maybe this guy will also insure that we quit seeing the worthless non state champion Logan regional kids like Atwood out embarrassing you on the Big 10 mats.  I hope this coach does great things.  I think Mudflap will complain either way.

Wow, been waiting patiently through the hiring process, but Purdue has really outdone themselves..  Absolutely awful hire.  You had Eric Guerrero interested, West Virginia just hired Sammy Henson, Donny Pritzlaff on the move, etc.  There's no reason Purdue, a B1G school, can't land a quality name.

Tony Ersland, guess how many times?  NONE

Not to mention, I'm extremely put-off by the press release that Purdue put out which gives Ersland credit for the international success of Jordan Burroughs and Jake Herbert.  Burroughs himself has given credit in Flo interviews to Mark Manning, Bryan Snyder, and Zeke Jones.  I've never heard Ersland's name mentioned, nor is he in any of the Olympic footage, or any of the footage from the most recent Burroughs World Title.  Herbert was an old NYAC guy with Bormet, Pritzlaff, Hrovat, etc.  Nowhere in any Jake Herbert international matches have I ever seen Ersland in the corner.

Some valid points, but the deal is done. Let's see who his assistants are. As to his wrestling resume,

it's not like Smith from Missouri was considered that strong at Michigan State:

A competitor himself, Smith was a three-time All-Big Ten wrestler and a four-time letterman at Michigan State from 1986-1990. As a senior, he was selected as the Spartan's Most Outstanding Wrestler. Competing at 126-pounds, Smith finished fifth at the Big Ten Championships in 1988, third in 1989 and second in 1990. Smith stands among the top-25 on Michigan State's all-time wins list with 84 career victories as a Spartan. He also stands tied for 19th on MSU's single-season wins list with 32 victories in 1990.

Hang on Mudflap!! You were one of the main critics screaming for Hinkle to be gone, don't sing his praises now!!  You asked for a new coach------- You got one!

Where in my post did I "sing his praises"?  That certainly was not my intention. I feel Purdue replaced one incapable staff with a new incapable one and hoped they would go after a "sure thing" like Guerrero, Henson, Pritzlaff, etc. rather than take a chance on someone much less qualified, which I think it's hard to argue that Ersland is much less qualified than a lot of other available candidates.  That is all.

Well if he didn't have a impact on Burroughs career this sure is a weird post he just posted on his blog....

http://www.jordanburroughs.com/blog/congratulations-tony-ersland

???

Looks to me like Ersland deserves a shot.  Just because he wasn't a national champion doesn't mean he isn't worthy.  If he believes this is his dream then I am sure he will try to do what it takes.  Also I don't think having some Iowa influence will hurt Indiana.

Has it crossed anyone's mind that perhaps the Purdue Admin hired Coach Ersland based in large part on the recommendation of the three current Purdue wrestlers who were part of the interview process? Maybe just maybe it's important that the current athletes believe that he is the guy to take the program to the next level rather than the message board heroes. Where does it say that you have to be a world or Olympic champion to be a good coach? I missed that somewhere.

I'm a Buckeye that's fairly well known. I'm also a fan of our kids from Indiana no matter where they are wrestling. I have known Coach Ersland since he wrestled at Iowa. I wish him the  best and I hope the University provides him what he needs to win.

Has it crossed anyone's mind that perhaps the Purdue Admin hired Coach Ersland based in large part on the recommendation of the three current Purdue wrestlers who were part of the interview process? Maybe just maybe it's important that the current athletes believe that he is the guy to take the program to the next level rather than the message board heroes. Where does it say that you have to be a world or Olympic champion to be a good coach? I missed that somewhere.

I'm a Buckeye that's fairly well known. I'm also a fan of our kids from Indiana no matter where they are wrestling. I have known Coach Ersland since he wrestled at Iowa. I wish him the  best and I hope the University provides him what he needs to win.

Very good points.

Yeah I would've liked a big name. But I'm ready to get behind this guy and see what he can do. Having said that, show me a list of the top 10 coaching staffs in D1 and I'll show you a list of national champs, multiple AA's and world medalists.

Congratulations to Tony Erslund on the Purdue Coaching job.  Hope everyone will rally around him for the support needed to make a big move in the BIG.  I would like to take this time to personally thank all of you who have supported the Purdue Wrestling program during the time that I was here for the last 20 years.    I can promise you that I sincerely gave all I had to put the program in strong national standing on the mat and in the classroom- including my body, my soul, time away from my family, my finances and the list goes on and on.  But that is what I expected myself to do.  No- I did not get the program to a level where many people wanted it, but I do hope that I was a positive influence on many young men and prepared them through the grind of BIG wrestling for a very successful life.  Behind the scenes not all success is measured by what place we finished in the BIG or NCAA.    I am also very lucky to have met so many great wrestling people since the time I came to Purdue in 1983 as a wrestler- to coaching at East Chicago HS for three years- back to Purdue as an Asst and Head coach up till now.  Truly blessed indeed.  Looking back I can say now I am happy I got cut from the high school basketball team at Talawanda as a freshman.  And with no place to go or nothing to do took up wrestling as a 90 lb scrawny kid to give it a try.  Never looked back..  Excited to still be doing our summer wrestling camps here at Purdue and hopefully still be involved in the sport at some level in the future.  The wrestlers on the team now are very tough kids and even better people.  They will be successful in life even if it isn't based on their win-loss record or if they AA.  I am sure of this.  Thanks again to everyone for all the much appreciated support and on with the next 100 years of Purdue Wrestling.    Scott Hinkel  Shinkel@purdue.edu 

Thanks Scott!!!  You have always made me proud to be a Boiler, and I am just as proud to be your friend.  You have given your all, and I appreciate that.  People can say what they want about the level of success our program attained while you were there, but I honestly do not believe anyone can question your work ethic, or the level of integrity you held as the standard.  I also think you can be very proud of the number of great young men who graduated from your program.  I plan to support Coach Erslund, and I hope he does well.  I wish you only the best.

Peck

I also wish you well, Scott. You did all the right things there, engaged the alumni, raised funds, recruited student-athletes and quality kids. It seems like we have a ton of experts who have never walked a mile in your shoes...or even a block. I see similar situations on the referee side. Everybody knows what should or should not have been called in a tight situation during a big match and none of them have been there.

You don't deserve this nonsense.

Best regards,

Tom Clark

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.