IHSWCA Team State Duals at the Pepsi Coliseum

Y2CJ41

First off, having the state duals on two separate dates is a disaster.  Add to that having it in a pig barn doesn't exactly make it appealing to fans or even the competitors.

Through the grapevine I have heard that the Pepsi Coliseum has some added expenses that make it very tough to pull the event off at that location.  However, there is a solution and it is going out and gathering some corporate sponsors.  Of course this would take some leg work, but could offset many of the costs and serve as a tax write-off for the corporations.

As a start IndianaMat is willing to donate $1500 to start this fund off.  It is time for the IHSWCA to take initiative and make this event as great as it can be.

We are not asking for anything in return, just that the competitors, coaches and fans of this great sport get to have an event of this magnitude in an awesome arena.

I am sorry, but the Poopsie Collosium is a horrific venue for ANY athletic event.

This is a really sorry deal. The number one issue is that fans cannot see multiple mats.  This is taking a rusty, dull hacksaw to one's own kneecap. It is inexplicable.

I am sorry, but the Poopsie Collosium is a horrific venue for ANY athletic event.

This is a really sorry deal. The number one issue is that fans cannot see multiple mats.  This is taking a rusty, dull hacksaw to one's own kneecap. It is inexplicable.

Have you seen the brand new renovations? As in the whole place has been gutted and redone just opening the past week.

This arena is probably one of the best places to hold this event that is also on the affordable side.

Why not just contact the Blubaugh's and see if Doug's old barn is available?  If the kids are going to wrestle where animals defecate, at least we can do it in an Olympians barn that actually does hold some actual history.

Ummm you are a little off your rocker tonight.

There have been rodeos and circuses at Banker's Life...I am sure a few of the bulls and horses weren't so kind to do their duty Pennsylvania Street.

There have been rodeos and circuses at the coliseum in Fort Wayne. Again, I am sure those animals were not doing their duty on Coliseum Boulevard.

There has also been a rodeo at the Ford Center in Evansville. Once again, not sure the animals were polite enough to do their duty outside the arena.

Maybe we should move our semi-states and state finals events so they are not in the same arenas where a few animals have marked their territory.

The Pepsi coliseum was unwilling to commit to dates until they have their revised hockey schedule and secondary events finalized later in May/June.  Anyone with similar proposals and creative ideas for how to make things work logistically and financially should definitely email Trent McCormick directly.  He's a very open-minded guy and I know he and others have explored many, many venues big and small in central Indiana and could discuss all the ins and outs very quickly.

I think you misread Y2's post.  The event isn't actually at the coliseum.  The disappointing issue is that it will be held at 2 separate venues on 2 separate Saturdays due to Christmas/New Year's being on Thursdays this year and multiple booking issues arising.

Yes we are at a Stand still with the Pepsi Coliseum until they release there Hockey schedule and then commit to dates with the IHSWCA.  Trent McCormick has been in talks with numerous venues and actually toured a facility during the coaches clinic. 

Our goal is to try to keep the IHSWCA State Duals centrally located but if we are unable to lock in a venue in the Indy area we would have to explore other options.

Yes we are at a Stand still with the Pepsi Coliseum until they release there Hockey schedule and then commit to dates with the IHSWCA.  Trent McCormick has been in talks with numerous venues and actually toured a facility during the coaches clinic. 

Our goal is to try to keep the IHSWCA State Duals centrally located but if we are unable to lock in a venue in the Indy area we would have to explore other options.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to clarify. 

This is not meant to be a shot at the IHSWCA because I know Tyson, Trent, JD and everyone else is busting butt to make this event the best it can possibly be. That being said, I wanted to just throw out my opinion that taking this from a 1 weekend event to a 2 weekend event and splitting it up is a huge step backwards and is going to upset a lot of people.  It will take a lot of the polish off of the event as a whole and will make people choose to go to one or the other but not both.  I am sure they aren't going to split it up unless they have to but I really hope they do not have to.

I can tell you that my team will find a way to pay and extra $100 of entry fee to be in a full blown arena whether it be north, south, or central Indiana.  If all teams will agree to that your looking at $3600 in additional revenue to help cover rent.

If the Pepsi Coliseum is not an ideal fit financially, how does it compare to the cost of the Hulman Center at Indiana State or Worthen Arena at Ball State? Would either of these be a more affordable option?  FW Coliseum?

Wabash did a great job with the scholastic duals be a great  place.

This maybe totally off but just an ideal. What about a airporbuildingsnger out at the IMaybeianapolis airport they have some very big nice buildings out there. Maybe that could be a option.

While I think the new and updated Pepsi Coliseum will be an excellent venue once they set their dates, I hope the Indy Convention Center has been explored?  The Indy Nationals were held there a year ago and it was an outstanding venue!  We had at least 12 mats down and room for plenty more.  The seating was more than ample and could easily be added to as needed.  Guessing it is not the most cost efficient...but parking is not an issue either.  Guess it depends with what else is going on at that same time...auto show?  Gamecon?  Colts game?  Just throwing it out there to make sure nothing is missed.

Regarding the Wabash College facility, there were 11 mats down in the fieldhouse during the Scholastic Duals with room for maybe one more there.  The gym could easily hold at least 4 more.  Seating in the fieldhouse is not the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.