Pico Vs Tsirtsis

Y21AB

At beat the streets who do you have?

I have the Fans.  Should be a nice match to see what the future talent of Freestyle in the U.S. is looking like.

I realistically think Tsirtsis has a little bit of an edge right now, but Pico is skilled enough to make it dangerously close.  It will be interesting to see how this young many develops over the next few years.  Pico may be young but he has decided to completely dedicating his next few years of training to Freestyle, and is traveling around the world getting some of the best training and competition.  Cejudo had some early setbacks against top level US Freestyle guys when he took a similar path but, after awhile he was able to develop into quite the world talent.  I wish he had decided to stick around longer.

Wow, I am very excited to see this matchup.

This might be a homer pick, but I gotta give it to Tsirtsis in a close one.  I just think the physical maturity level of a 20 year old will be too much to handle for a 17-year-old.

I'd call it the smart pick.

Pico's had some incredible results recently.  In November he won 8-0 against the Russian that represented them at the Senior World Cup (not necessarily their number 1, but they always bring someone from their top 1-4).  He also just won a big-time Junior tournament in Bulgaria, beating a junior world champ 6-0 in the semi's and a Russian that was a cadet world champ in the finals. (Junior level internationally is like our college freshmen and younger; cadet is like our high school sophs/juniors and younger...a little older than USA cadet/junior classifications).

He's shooting for a junior world title this year, but people on the national boards are already talking about Pico as possibly the nation's best SENIOR-LEVEL wrestler at 145.5.  If Jason beats him, it will be an upset to everyone but us.

Pico's had some incredible results recently.  In November he won 8-0 against the Russian that represented them at the Senior World Cup (not necessarily their number 1, but they always bring someone from their top 1-4).  He also just won a big-time Junior tournament in Bulgaria, beating a junior world champ 6-0 in the semi's and a Russian that was a cadet world champ in the finals. (Junior level internationally is like our college freshmen and younger; cadet is like our high school sophs/juniors and younger...a little older than USA cadet/junior classifications).

He's shooting for a junior world title this year, but people on the national boards are already talking about Pico as possibly the nation's best SENIOR-LEVEL wrestler at 145.5.  If Jason beats him, it will be an upset to everyone but us.

Pico is signed up for the Fila Freestlye tournament on 4/18 at 145.5. Also in this bracket are some other tough guys like Zain Retherford,Jake Short,Mech Spraggins and Zahid Valencia. Should be a pretty exciting bracket.

On a side note: Vinny Cosaro and Mitch Sliga are both signed up.

Pico vs. Retherford should be a good one and a good sign of how Pico vs. Tsirtsis will go.

Tsirtsis beat Retherford last year in the finals of the FILA Junior World Team Trials.  One match was close, the other was not.

Pico wins the Fila tournament without surrendering a point. He had two huge wins in a 12-0 win over Jake Short and a 7-0 decision over Retherford. His leg defense is sick and has such heavy hands in the ties. Both have unlimited gas tanks and should be a great match against Tsirtsis but I'm going to go with Pico in this battle.

Listening to Pico on the flo interview after the match it did not sound like he will be wrestling Tsirtsis.  He did not rule it out but did not sound like it will happen.  Too bad really wanted to see it.  Maybe at the WTT in Madison it could happen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.