Purdue begins search for new head coach

Drooke

This process seems crazy to me.  This is a Big10 University head coaching job, for crying out loud!  Seems like they should have numerous excellent candidates clamoring for the position.  Whether or not it's among the lowest in the Big 10, I don't know...but isn't it still getting paid around $100 grand a year to coach a sport that you LOVE, in the best conference in the US collegiate ranks?!?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rosselli would get a pay raise coming to Purdue. He made $78K last year, while Tom Ryan brought in $162K plus another $50K in other pay. Hinkel made $89K last year as the head coach at Purdue.

If Purdue can offer $100K and some bonus opportunities it could sway Rosselli.

Well that is a clear message from the athletic dept.

I agree and I am torn; the issue is Morgan and Calvin are not doing what it the market takes to make it work. Examples include being the

sole B10 program not to offer a multi-year contracts (when they did do this for Volleyball coach).  I think Calvin made a complete fool

of himself when he got up to speak at the 100 Year Purdue wrestling celebration last year, claiming he was going to 'do what it takes',

'Scott is his guy', blah, blah, blah.  What a freaking back stabbing phony. 

At the same time, if Mr. Erslund is the new guy, he has to know that the issue with the Alum is with the AD and assistant AD,

and not the new coach, and try and give him support.  It will be interesting to see who he will bring in as his assistant coaches.

Purdue is going to make a run at Angel, and they should.

I'd really like to know how we ended up with Ersland when he clearly wasn't the best guy who applied. I'm not giving up but if history is our guide, discount coaches = discount results. We'll see if any of those great athletes he "worked with" want to come and work under him.

If he wins and makes Purdue competitive again people will say it was a great hire... If Purdue stays like they are then people will criticize the hire even more..

Time will tell... I think people should give him a chance before they write him off...

If he wins, it will be a good hire. I'm not sure how it could be a lot worse in terms of results. One thing that can be said about the Hinkel era is kids did seem to wrestle with a lot of passion. There was a recognizable joy in their wrestling, and I assume they all loved wrestling for him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.