Purdue begins search for new head coach

Drooke

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a Coach like Tonte his resume has to be pretty appealing 3x state champ 3x Disney Duals champ. Why not get a shot at the next level. He took a program with nothing and turned it into one of the top in the country.

How about a Coach like Tonte his resume has to be pretty appealing 3x state champ 3x Disney Duals champ. Why not get a shot at the next level. He took a program with nothing and turned it into one of the top in the country.

He's got the recruiting part down! (paadingggg, he'll be here all week folks, don't forget to tip your servers!)

But seriously, the next level from Perry coaching job is not a Big Ten job. The only head coach who would possibly qualify is Jeff Jordan in Ohio.

If Purdue hires a high school coach with no college coaching experience it will be a very bad hire unless that coach is named Jeff Buxton. This is a Big 10 job and there are plenty of DI head coaches and assistants that are eying this position.

Exactly - word I hear is that the response has been strong.  Underappreciated, Coach Hinkle did a lot of things that are going to benefit the next coach;

things like leading the fundraising campaign for the wrestling room that now exists, establishing the Boiler Elite wrestling club, securing an RTC,

building alumni involvement, rebuilding relationships with many of the Indiana coaches, and some of the student & Purdue leadership involvement

in the wrestling program.     

Pritzlaff officially to Rutgers as the associate head coach so his names likely off the table at Purdue (if he was interested).

Quite certain their was mutual interests. Two things in this decision: #1 Purdue seemed late out of the gate for the coaching search,

and #2 Pritzloff is originally from the nearby Lyndhurst, New Jersey.

If you are going to make a move as an AD, these lists should have been built months ago. 

Pritzlaff officially to Rutgers as the associate head coach so his names likely off the table at Purdue (if he was interested).

Add Schwab brothers at UNI to list of unlikely available, unless you want to pay the $100,000 buyout.

http://www.cbs2iowa.com/sports/features/cbssports/stories/wrst-uni-signs-schwab-7-year-extension-3453.shtml

Jeremy Hunter. Well established wrestler and assistant coach with a ton of Big Ten and NCAA Championship experience.  Probably won't ever get the nod at Illinois because Mark Perry is there. Just saying, he could probably do big things given the opportunity. Wouldn't take much to move a whole 2 hours east.

Is Mark Perry locked into Illinois program? That could be a good fit, was Asst. at Penn State and now Asst. at Illinois back to back Big Ten schools. I am sure he is ready to take over his own program. Bring him in and you my get Chris also.

Perry would have to take a pay cut to become the head coach at Purdue. I would be very surprised if he applied with what he currently has at Illinois. 

Roger Kish is a name a lot of people have thrown around. If they are going to get a Big 10 assistant it would most likely be someone like Jeremy Hunter as most top assistants are going to find it hard to leave their current positions. Glen Lanham has done a solid job at Duke and was previously at Purdue for a couple years.  Jason Borelli at Standford has a good thing going there, but could be looking to come back to the midwest.

It will be interesting to hear which name(s) emerge in the next week as rumor has it interviews are going on this week.

It will be interesting to hear which name(s) emerge in the next week as rumor has it interviews are going on this week.

any news or rumors about who is getting an interview?

Seems kind of odd to me that they are taking so long. The program is in limbo as long as they are without a head coach. Spring training, getting kids to their summer camps, etc, will really suffer. I'd like to see them go big, like an assistant from PSU, Iowa, or OSU (Lou Roselli would be great!), but Joe is probably right. They are probably making more as assistants, and with better facilities, than Purdue is willing to pay. I hope they decide to pony up. It could be great for wrestling in Indiana!

Roselli is the only applicant that i am really excited about...we shall see if purdue makes the commitment needed to land him.

Do you know of other actually applicants ?

It was mentioned elsewhere that West Virginia shares a common finalist.  No clue who that is at this point, but word is they are making their coaching decision soon.  Hopefully Purdue doesn't lose out of one of the main candidates, due to WV pulling the hiring trigger a week or two earlier.

We also have to consider several of these coaches will have contracts which allow their original school to match any offer.  Unless, Purdue does open up a little additional funding one or two top candidates maybe eliminated after the matching process occurs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.