Purdue begins search for new head coach

Drooke

Anyone suggesting someone like Dake, Burroughs, Humphrey, Taylor, or anyone else out of college and still competing is out of their mind. That would be a horrendous hire for the head coach.

If Prizlaff gets hired and brings in someone like Howe as an assistant that would be great.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone suggesting someone like Dake, Burroughs, Humphrey, Taylor, or anyone else out of college and still competing is out of their mind. That would be a horrendous hire for the head coach.

If Prizlaff gets hired and brings in someone like Howe as an assistant that would be great.

I agree, not to mention they have zero college coaching experience.

Maybe someone can shed some light on all the comments that say the administration needs to be more supportive. Purdue pays more than most D1 schools, they have fairly new facilities and 9.9 scholarships. What else does the administration need to do for a program to be successful? Plenty of programs finished ahead of them in the NCAA's with less.

I agree, not to mention they have zero college coaching experience.

Maybe someone can shed some light on all the comments that say the administration needs to be more supportive. Purdue pays more than most D1 schools, they have fairly new facilities and 9.9 scholarships. What else does the administration need to do for a program to be successful? Plenty of programs finished ahead of them in the NCAA's with less.

Yeah those guys don't know anything about wrestling.  They would be terrible, probably only get 3 AA's in 7 years. 

Yeah those guys don't know anything about wrestling.  They would be terrible, probably only get 3 AA's in 7 years. 

Having a part-time head coach would be terrible. Having a head coach that misses half the meets because they are at the OTC or some other camp training for the world team would be terrible.  Luckily, I am pretty certain none of these guys are going to apply for the job. They simply don't have the time to train full-time and be a collegiate head coach.

fyi...purdue is at the bottom of the big ten in funding their basketball and football programs too.  I like how great the academics are at the school but we need to throw a lot more money towards the athletics.

Purdue doesn't seem to be too handicapped by this funding "issue." They are able to travel to places like Vegas and the Northeast Duals along with other destinations. Being in the bottom of funding in the Big 10 still means they are well funded in wrestling.

I think this is a crutch that too many are using and it isn't a good excuse not to produce consistent All-Americans.  Even at Indiana with their lack of funding they seem to be in consistently coaching on Saturday at the NCAAs.

Purdue doesn't seem to be too handicapped by this funding "issue." They are able to travel to places like Vegas and the Northeast Duals along with other destinations. Being in the bottom of funding in the Big 10 still means they are well funded in wrestling.

I think this is a crutch that too many are using and it isn't a good excuse not to produce consistent All-Americans.  Even at Indiana with their lack of funding they seem to be in consistently coaching on Saturday at the NCAAs.

The only thing Indiana has done consistently lately is not produce all-Americans.  They last had one in 2011, and should the goal be to coach on Saturday or Sunday of the NCAAs?  With the number of automatic qualifiers from the Big 10, I don't feel that it's all that impressive to be coaching on Saturday.  I don't think IU is in any better shape than Purdue, neither is getting the job done.

To go a little off the topic, when a coaching change happens aren't athletes free to transfer w/ no penalty? I've heard they've been told at Purdue that they can't transfer?

There is no NCAA rule that allows a kid to transfer after a coaching change.  Brent Metcalf's transfer to Iowa following Brands was not allowed and thus he had to sit out a year. Sometimes, like when Cyler Sanderson went to Penn State are allowed.  Usually a school doesn't allow this until a new coach is hired.

The only thing Indiana has done consistently lately is not produce all-Americans.  They last had one in 2011, and should the goal be to coach on Saturday or Sunday of the NCAAs?  With the number of automatic qualifiers from the Big 10, I don't feel that it's all that impressive to be coaching on Saturday.  I don't think IU is in any better shape than Purdue, neither is getting the job done.

There is no wrestling on Sunday at the NCAAs.

In the last seven years(same years Hinkle was at Purdue, Indiana has had seven All-Americans. That is one per year. While this isn't great, it is better than Purdue has done.

Has Purdue placed a timeline on finding a new coach? Big 10 jobs don't come open often so they should be able to find some highly qualified candidates.....

Anderson has done a great job at Wabash, especially with not having scholarships and the academic rigors of the school.  With that said, I honestly can't remember a coach going from a DII, DIII or NAIA school directly to a Big 10 head coaching job in wrestling. With the potential pool of coaches from the DI level it will put an applicant like Anderson at a sever disadvantage.

Anderson has done a great job at Wabash, especially with not having scholarships and the academic rigors of the school.  With that said, I honestly can't remember a coach going from a DII, DIII or NAIA school directly to a Big 10 head coaching job in wrestling. With the potential pool of coaches from the DI level it will put an applicant like Anderson at a sever disadvantage.

yeah that's true I was jus putting out my thought if they aren't able to bring in a big name not so sure it'd work out or not but never know

I think Brian would be a good fit and do a very good job, but I might be a little biased.  ;) Having said that, I'm not sure he would want the job.  He has a very good set up at Wabash and has it rolling and I don't think Purdue is willing to do what it takes to rise to the top...from an administrative stand point. 

Going from a DII, DIII, or NAIA to DI would be tough...especially to the Big Ten.  Tom Jarman did it in the late 70's when he went from Taylor University to Northwestern.  Seems to me that Mark Cody or Mark Manning went from a DII school to Div. I but I'm not sure.

Clint

In the last seven years(same years Hinkle was at Purdue, Indiana has had seven All-Americans. That is one per year. While this isn't great, it is better than Purdue has done.

But Hinkle did have a 4-2 DUAL record vs. IU.

He made decent dual meet teams...just not top end individuals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.