Purdue begins search for new head coach

Drooke

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull ***potty mouth*** move by Purdue for a number of reasons. Building a foundation does not happen overnight, especially when you

have zero support from your Athletic Director (Morgan Burke) & assistant AD (Calvin). this is the same AD that guy that wanted to hire Shawn Charles...

The Big Ten is a brutal conference, with Big Ten wrestling being the toughest conference sport of any conference.

You will not find a coach that has to do more with less than Coach Hinkle. The things he has done to build a momentum of

support from coaches in Indiana, alumni, former wrestlers, is amazing. He was the main energy behind raising funds to get the

wrestling room they now have.  Is Morgan Burke suddenly going to start paying market rate for a Head coach & staff, instead of taking my JPC $$ donations to cover his salary and salaries of dead weight in his department?

This will be very telling as to how the athletic department feels about the wrestling program. Go big or stay home. Eric Guerrero?

Well Guerrero likely had the Arizona State job in hand, that is until Zeke Jones ended up throwing his name in.  So as a result Gurrero just happens to still be on the market and obviously interested in a solid head coaching oppertunity.  If the Boilers were able provide the backing and assistant coaching support to intrigue Guerrero (or another big name Pritzlaff, Schwab, maybe Mark Perry etc.) that could be a great boost to the program.  Hinkel put a lot of solid pieces in place needs to sustain a solid program, and hopefully the next coach can use those elements to propel the program to the next level.  With Hinkel's passion for Purdue wrestling it would be great if he could stick around as Director of Wrestling Operations or something.  I think he could be very valuable in a side roll with the program, though it would take the right new head coach to feel comfortable having the format head coach in a staff position. 

Here is a thought: Purdue, though in the Big Ten, is not going to be attractive to a lot of "name" coaches. The budget is just not there. If you get a hot name coach, how long do you keep him? I think Purdue needs to think more like Ball State in football. BSU got Pete Lembo from Elon. He has worked wonders with the BSU program and turned them into a solid program. So how about looking at a guy like Eric Keller from Wartburg. His team just won its fourth consecutive DIII title. He would have an Iowa connection and might bring a couple of guys that the DI schools missed with him from Wartburg. Someone like that is likely to stay around longer than a rising superstar. Purdue needs stability and someone with a long term commitment, not a stepping-stone type guy.

Not a bad thought but Keller has just taken over the HC responsibilities at  Wartburg.  He has been an assistant to Miller since he graduated  from UNI , if the Wartburg website is accurate.

But your spot on, if they are not going to fund like a D1 program it will be hard to draw a top name coach

a little more info on funding for d-1 programs from Adam Tirapelle.

WEST

12 Arizona State University AZ $1,045,074 PAC 12

41 Stanford University CA $583,975 PAC 12

58 California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo CA $445,942 PAC 12

70 California State University-Bakersfield CA $296,998 PAC 12

55 Boise State University ID $486,511 PAC 12

14 Oregon State University OR $1,035,136 PAC 12

65 University of Northern Colorado CO $373,600 WWC

75 Air Force CO WWC

57 Utah Valley University UT $453,969 WWC

36 University of Wyoming WY $679,603 WWC

EAST

25 University of Maryland-College Park MD $811,829 ACC

22 University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus PA $915,262 ACC

9 Pennsylvania State University-Main Campus PA $1,139,168 BIG 10

74 Sacred Heart University CT $154,875 EIWA

23 American University DC $849,013 EIWA

20 Boston University MA $926,805 EIWA

68 Harvard University MA $324,039 EIWA

77 Navy MD EIWA

37 Rutgers University-New Brunswick NJ $670,851 EIWA

60 Princeton University NJ $416,299 EIWA

19 Hofstra University NY $931,543 EIWA

35 Cornell University NY $713,595 EIWA

52 Columbia University in the City of New York NY $524,388 EIWA

54 SUNY at Binghamton NY $490,839 EIWA

76 Army NY EIWA

5 Lehigh University PA $1,339,028 EIWA

26 Drexel University PA $765,843 EIWA

31 Bucknell University PA $749,703 EIWA

56 University of Pennsylvania PA $480,485 EIWA

69 Franklin and Marshall College PA $299,802 EIWA

71 Brown University RI $288,282 EIWA

18 Rider University NJ $941,663 EWL

46 Lock Haven University PA $545,246 EWL

51 Edinboro University of Pennsylvania PA $525,848 EWL

64 Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania PA $375,674 EWL

66 Clarion University of Pennsylvania PA $351,331 EWL

48 University at Buffalo NY $538,576 MAC

49 North Dakota State University-Main Campus ND $529,390 WWC

61 South Dakota State University SD $403,594 WWC

MIDWEST

2 University of Iowa IA $1,652,195 BIG 10

11 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign IL $1,055,936 BIG 10

16 Northwestern University IL $979,397 BIG 10

30 Indiana University-Bloomington IN $753,691 BIG 10

32 Purdue University-Main Campus IN $748,937 BIG 10

10 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor MI $1,114,298 BIG 10

29 Michigan State University MI $756,238 BIG 10

17 University of Minnesota-Twin Cities MN $944,870 BIG 10

8 University of Nebraska-Lincoln NE $1,156,542 BIG 10

3 Ohio State University-Main Campus OH $1,647,027 BIG 10

13 University of Wisconsin-Madison WI $1,038,987 BIG 10

1 Iowa State University IA $1,708,695 BIG 12

4 Oklahoma State University-Main Campus OK $1,413,618 BIG 12

6 University of Oklahoma Norman Campus OK $1,215,585 BIG 12

63 Cleveland State University OH $382,421 EWL

39 University of Northern Iowa IA $630,201 MAC

45 Northern Illinois University IL $567,917 MAC

38 Central Michigan University MI $657,762 MAC

59 Eastern Michigan University MI $417,305 MAC

7 University of Missouri-Columbia MO $1,212,903 MAC

33 Ohio University-Main Campus OH $745,450 MAC

50 Kent State University at Kent OH $526,762 MAC

72 Southern Illinois University Edwardsville IL $285,963 SO CON

SOUTH

24 North Carolina State University at Raleigh NC $824,514 ACC

34 University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill NC $714,676 ACC

53 Duke University NC $502,549 ACC

15 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University VA $989,956 ACC

21 University of Virginia-Main Campus VA $921,959 ACC

28 West Virginia University WV $758,903 BIG 12

62 George Mason University VA $393,788 EWL

27 Old Dominion University VA $758,923 MAC

40 Gardner-Webb University NC $593,382 SO CON

43 Campbell University NC $569,982 SO CON

47 Appalachian State University NC $540,562 SO CON

73 Davidson College NC $269,658 SO CON

42 Citadel Military College of South Carolina SC $575,663 SO CON

44 The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga TN $569,789 SO CON

67 Virginia Military Institute VA $338,629 SO CON

The entire thread... http://forum.theopenmat.com/index.php/topic,31104.0.html

Anyone that doesn't think this is a top 20 job in the country is kidding themselves. Big 10 jobs don't open up every day and when one opens up there are many names that come out of the woodwork.  Guys from smaller schools to guys that have been longtime assistants and ready to be a head coach.  There is a laundry list of names that will inquire about the job. Things like budget and coaching pay can be negotiated with the right guy in place and they can even fund raise to fill those gaps.

Don't think for a second that coaches like Sean Bormet, Mark Branch, Donny Pritzlaff, Mark Perry, Roger Kish, Tim Flynn, the Borellis, Eric Guerrero, Jared Frayer, and so on aren't looking at this job with interest.

Until the Purdue Administration shows commitment, it will only be a top 20 job on paper. This by no means is a jab at the kids who are there or have been.

With that being said, my heart goes out to Scott Hinkle. He worked his butt off for the university, bled black and gold, did all the right things, never embarrassed them in any sort of scandal or violation, was an excellent fundraiser and a top notch human being. I wish him the very best!

+ 100 Grecoref.

Might President Mitch Daniels use this opportunity to increase the wrestling budget and do what he does very well...fund raise?  He has been to quite a few matches the last two years and likes to talk about what a great sport wrestling is to teach all the right life lessons.

Until the Purdue Administration shows commitment, it will only be a top 20 job on paper. This by no means is a jab at the kids who are there or have been.

With that being said, my heart goes out to Scott Hinkle. He worked his butt off for the university, bled black and gold, did all the right things, never embarrassed them in any sort of scandal or violation, was an excellent fundraiser and a top notch human being. I wish him the very best!

It is sad to see Scott go.  I liked him.  Looking back at his full set of work,  he did a pretty good job.  He was in the top 25 or close most seasons he coached.    Also think he got the most out of the talent he had.  His kids were always in top notch shape and competed with the big guys.  I think his biggest set back was he couldn't land Blue Chippers.    Im sure he was frustrated about that too.  I know he was close to landing some big names as I tallked to him once about it.  Seems like Purdue was always the second choice for these kids.

Hopefully Purdue brings in a coach that can recruit and keep the top talent in state.

It is sad to see Scott go.  I liked him.  Looking back at his full set of work,  he did a pretty good job.  He was in the top 25 or close most seasons he coached.    Also think he got the most out of the talent he had.  His kids were always in top notch shape and competed with the big guys.  I think his biggest set back was he couldn't land Blue Chippers.    Im sure he was frustrated about that too.  I know he was close to landing some big names as I tallked to him once about it.  Seems like Purdue was always the second choice for these kids.

Hopefully Purdue brings in a coach that can recruit and keep the top talent in state.

According to the mat.com - 7 years and three All-Americans.  Sorry, but it's not enough.  On the bright side Purdue has a chance to get an edge over Indiana and start trying to keep some of the in-state blue chippers.  Purdue's academic reputation in the math and sciences has to be a selling point.

I was thinking that if Purdue, would end up with Pritzlaff could we see Howe being brought in as an assistant coach for him eventually.  Howe's 2016 Olympic push would likely prevent him from being an immediate main assistant coach, but after 2016 I'd say he would be in.  Pritzlaff would definitely have a strong pull from Wisconsin/Michigan area, and Howe would definitely help draw any top Indiana kids to wrestle.

I was thinking that if Purdue, would end up with Pritzlaff could we see Howe being brought in as an assistant coach for him eventually.  Howe's 2016 Olympic push would likely prevent him from being an immediate main assistant coach, but after 2016 I'd say he would be in.  Pritzlaff would definitely have a strong pull from Wisconsin/Michigan area, and Howe would definitely help draw any top Indiana kids to wrestle.

Pritzlaff might still have some Jersey left in him as well

Think about this one.  Why not give the job to  Reece Humphrey.  Maybe pull his dad in as an assistant.  I know "Hump" is still competing internationally and focusing on the Olympics,  so lets make Purdue an Olympic training site.  Cael Sanderson made a run at the Olympics while at Penn State, why not give it a try.    His Indiana name recognition would really help him recruit in state, and he would pull some big names out of state too. 

If not Reece, you also have to add to the short list another Buckeye "J Jaggers".  Currently an assistant at OSU,  he's just waiting to jump on a NCAA job.

Think about this one.  Why not give the job to  Reece Humphrey.  Maybe pull his dad in as an assistant.  I know "Hump" is still competing internationally and focusing on the Olympics,  so lets make Purdue an Olympic training site.  Cael Sanderson made a run at the Olympics while at Penn State, why not give it a try.    His Indiana name recognition would really help him recruit in state, and he would pull some big names out of state too. 

If not Reece, you also have to add to the short list another Buckeye "J Jaggers".  Currently an assistant at OSU,  he's just waiting to jump on a NCAA job.

In the college forum a few weeks ago I suggested Reece as a future name to consider for the IU position.  I figured given his dads connection with the university that it could be a great fit for him, when Goldman finally ends his tenure (one way or the other).

In the college forum a few weeks ago I suggested Reece as a future name to consider for the IU position.  I figured given his dads connection with the university that it could be a great fit for him, when Goldman finally ends his tenure (one way or the other).

Reece -- head coach

Angel -- light weights coach

Howe -- upper weights coach

Also, it would never happen, but what if one of these programs threw big time money at a David Taylor or Jordan Burroughs or someone of that stature. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.