Chad Red and Brandon James will wrestle for 3/4 at Flo

NPSmith

Just to put 120 in perspective:

Flo's #1 and #4 ranked wrestlers in the nation made the finals at 120.

A few ranked guy and some who have moved in and out of the rankings finished below Red and James.

So a 3rd/4th is a quality finish at 120 that should give both Red and James a little respect in the rankings. 

So if he beat Red at 120 why'd he bump to 132 during the season?

Possible Factors:

All weights at FloNationals were +5lb.  So he may have been near 125 during the HS season, but ended up wrestling 132.  However, without the constraints of the weight management plan and the +5lb he could make 120 for this event.  I'm guessing FloNationals doesn't follows a weight management plan as closely as the state association does. 

James being at 132 allows both Kenny and Cotty into the line up at their optimal weight which helps the over all team strength.  Perry was chasing a team title too so that helps their line up, plus James at any of those weights is a serious title contender.  So if being at 132, also helped the team the most too.

He could be a state title contender without cutting to much weight so why worry about it.  But being a national title contender is a while different story.  Remember James was the clear favorite at 132 until Wilson bumped up a weight class.  Maybe he weighed around 126 this year but decided to go 132 during the season so he didn't have to worry about the cluster of studs at 126.  Wilson moving up somewhat spoiled that, but still a great match between two talented wrestlers.

No one knew the outcome of this match for certain before this point, so basing what weight class someone decided to go at for a previous event just on the results of this tournament doesn't exactly work. It would make more sense for a future event since they have a match already between them to reference.  Not to mention that a match can always turn out somewhat different/closer if they meet at a different occasion/time. 

And lastly, the in the large scheme of things it doesn't really matter.  We got to see a great match between James and Wilson during state this year.  Plus, we got to have a great match between two of Indiana's best wrestlers as they placed 3rd/4th at a tough national tournament.  I applaud both of these guys for placing very high at one of the tougher brackets this event.  They have done well for themselves, and our state.

I'm not sure how updated track wrestling is, but it listed James weight at 124.  Looking through some results and profiles last night I noticed many weights were different than what they wrestled in the HS season.  Most of them were somewhat, if not significantly higher and some guys were competing even two weight classes up. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.