Northwestern

jbburn12

Fair enough.  I can only go by what my personal experience is with my son practicing with different levels of college athletes.  Also, I know how hard it is going from HS to college but just not in a wrestling practice room.

So what your saying, from your personal experience in a D1 level practice room, not necessarily at NW, but a 149/157# will go all out against a 125/133#?  That almost seems risky due to size difference, especially if the heavier wrestler is trying to make a point.

Lol is that a shot at me??? Sorry, My experience is from a little ole D2 program and wrestling at 133 and wrestling our D2 2x National Champ at 157 in practice on a daily basis and it being absolute battle day in and day out. I never got hurt and even if the 157 pounder tried to use his weight there is something called positioning where guys in college know a lot more about than high schoolers and you can deal with the weight.

Lol is that a shot at me??? Sorry, My experience is from a little ole D2 program and wrestling at 133 and wrestling our D2 2x National Champ at 157 in practice on a daily basis and it being absolute battle day in and day out. I never got hurt and even if the 157 pounder tried to use his weight there is something called positioning where guys in college know a lot more about than high schoolers and you can deal with the weight.

I have no dog in this fight at all and am having a slow day at work, but to be fair to the guy you are debating, you fired shots first when it came to his experience on the college wrestling scene, or lack there of.  So to answer your question, yes, I think he did get a zinger on you. I think you both make interesting points by the way, so carry on.

Not a shot at you at all, I just assumed that you was a D1 wrestler.

I don't think I'm underestimating them at all.  I know that it takes some time for HS athletes to adjust to college.  With elite wrestlers working out with more college wrestlers these days, the transition has shorten by months if not years.  I just saw a post by MCKAJC about Micic working out in the IL room, sounds like Micic is more than ready to take over the 125/133# spot.  Rather he'll be able to do that, only time will tell.

It's all good, we just have difference of opinion and that's what the forums are for.

I think this might be a case of misunderstood intentions. I don't think meluv was taking shots at Northwestern's, or Findlay's for that matter, wrestling room, but his point is fair. Northwestern hasn't had decades of success, nor the ingrained wrestling culture that an Iowa or Oklahoma State program has. It's reasonable to assume that their room isn't loaded to the gills with outstanding partners like Iowa or Oklahoma State. That doesn't mean there aren't some excellent wrestlers to drill with, but at Iowa you have so many former elite level wrestlers that populate the wrestling room, in addition to in-state and out-of-state walk-ons....it's an embarrassment of riches regarding 'steel to sharpen steel'. Of course, being at Iowa doesn't guarantee you will be an NCAA champ, just as being at Northwestern doesn't mean you can't win a title, but the point is legitimate.

Northwestern seems to be just fine with the program formula they have established. Im not sure who Mike McMullen, Dusty Fox, or Jake Herbert's practice partners were but being at Northwestern has not hurt their development.  The fact that smart kids continue to choose NW is enough evidence to me that something good is happening there.

Just a bit of info, Dom Malone was a 2x National Prep Champ out of Wyoming Seminary HS in PA. His record this year is tough to judge without seeing who he lost to considering how solid 133 was top to bottom, especially in the B1G Dual season. (Thorn, Guillibon, DiJulius, Ramos, Graff, & Richards) I drill with Dom very frequently & he is very tough & there is no doubt he will be a great partner for Stevan. Also Jacob Schmitt, Jameson Oster & Conor Beebe will push him in the room. Not trying to create any animosity with this post, just trying to reassure everyone that Stevan will have all the tools he needs to accomplish his goals at NU! (There is my post for the off-season haha)

Just a bit of info, Dom Malone was a 2x National Prep Champ out of Wyoming Seminary HS in PA. His record this year is tough to judge without seeing who he lost to considering how solid 133 was top to bottom, especially in the B1G Dual season. (Thorn, Guillibon, DiJulius, Ramos, Graff, & Richards) I drill with Dom very frequently & he is very tough & there is no doubt he will be a great partner for Stevan. Also Jacob Schmitt, Jameson Oster & Conor Beebe will push him in the room. Not trying to create any animosity with this post, just trying to reassure everyone that Stevan will have all the tools he needs to accomplish his goals at NU! (There is my post for the off-season haha)

Congrats Jason.  You make us Indiana folk proud.

Congrats jtsirtsis on your NCAA championship title.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just curious how good Bryce Brill is and if anyone knew what plans he had his freshman year. I mean obviously he is the real deal since he is ranked #1 in the nation, but will Tsirtis and him wrestle off or cover 149 & 157? I mean is it even worth wrestling off Tsirtis is the question..? I am a fan of Northwestern wrestling, and I'm eager to know what is in store for the KATS next year

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.