Northwestern

jbburn12

If you live near Chicago you will see ads and billboards advertising Northwestern....Chicago's Big Ten Team

With Tsirtsis, Sliga and Micic the ads should be Northwestern...... Indiana's Big Ten Wrestling Team.

GO CATS

Micic is tremendous, but following Tsirtsis' accomplishments as a freshman is a lofty goal. On his feet, Micic will be just fine, but his mat wrestling needs to improve for him to beat the best D1 guys. He can get there, for sure, but I don't see him as being quite at Tsirtsis' level at similar points in their development. That's not an insult-Jason was the #1 recruit in the country and just put on an unbelievable display at Nationals. I hope I'm wrong, but it will be incredibly hard to duplicate what JShirts just did.

Well these billboards have appeared in Northwest Texas in hopes of attracting more big football talent to Northwestern.

northwestern-dallas.jpg

So those billboards are not to far away from what your suggesting.

I remember a time when Tsirtsis was super dependent on a front headlock and he has developed nicely since then.  Micic might be a monster on his feet, but do remember he finally fought out of Davis's leeching in semistate.  If he can do that, he will be fine as time goes on for him as well.

I'm a Micic fan just like the rest of his fan base but to say that a true freshman will be able to compete not only against 2x NC champ Delgado but against the likes of Garrett & Megaludis, seems far fetched.  Tsirtis didn't have the depth at 149# like 125# had imo.  Next year Micic will also have to face Gilman & Peters (who owned him at Fila) & Cruz as well if he doesn't redshirt.

If Micic doesn't redshirt, I think Micic AAing would be big but I don't see a top 4 finish 1st year in, jmo.

I'm a Micic fan just like the rest of his fan base but to say that a true freshman will be able to compete not only against 2x NC champ Delgado but against the likes of Garrett & Megaludis, seems far fetched.  Tsirtis didn't have the depth at 149# like 125# had imo.  Next year Micic will also have to face Gilman & Peters (who owned him at Fila) & Cruz as well if he doesn't redshirt.

If Micic doesn't redshirt, I think Micic AAing would be big but I don't see a top 4 finish 1st year in, jmo.

Outside of Indiana, despite Micic's ranking, he wasn't going to win the dd, he did easily... you never know what could happen in a year. That being said, Tsirtsis benefited from Alex and a redshirt. It doesn't look like a redshirt is in his future so I can't really pick him to follow in Jasons footsteps, an AA is possible for sure though.

Is it certain he will wrestle 125 or might he go 133?

Also, Jason certainly benefited from the red-shirt year. Having a whole year in a BigTen wrestling room & actually wrestling against college wrestlers unattached for that year was a huge in his development.

Another case in point would be Garret of Cornell. He was impressive as a true freshman but was definitely much more impressive this year. Delgado was fortunate the official did not award Garret with TD's on those two shots in the first period. I'm not saying they should have been and Delgado deserves a lot of credit for warding them off the way he did.

Is it certain he will wrestle 125 or might he go 133?

The current 125# & 133# wrestlers have a combined record of 53-57.  The 125# is 2 wins above 500 and the 133# is 6 losses below 500.  Their records aren't impressive so I would assume that Micic would have an excellent chance at starting as a true freshman.  My question is why would he want to when you consider his competition in the room.  No offense to the current 125# & 133# but with records like theirs, seems like Micic isn't going to be ready to compete against current 125# AAs.  Micic would benefit from a red-shirt year.  In 2015-2016 season, he can be in the lineup with Sebastian, Brill, Tsirtis and whoever else steps up their game.

In 2015-2016 season, he can be in the lineup with Sebastian, Brill, Tsirtis and whoever else steps up their game.

Although there will probably be a little summer tourney JT will be fighting to get into that year.  That will keep him out of the NU lineup.  Might be 16-17 before we see Micic, Tsirtsis, and Sliga in the same lineup.

It seems to me Pariano likes the red shirt (Mc Mullen,Munster, Tsirtsis,Sliga, ) but it also seems like he will pull a redshirt in the middle of the year like Shrewsbury and Berkowitz which I don't think did them any favors. Of course Northwestern doesn't have the wrestling room depth other schools seem to have. They don't have the in state kid who says "well since I am going to Purdue anyway I will walk on the team and earn a scholarship that way".

After seeing Delgado and Garrett I think Micic would more than benefit from a redshirt. From an academic aspect it is smart also for anyone.

Then again Pariano might think next year will be the teams year to make some noise with McMullen and Munster as seniors and others coming online .

Who knows but Micic will have a great career.

The current 125# & 133# wrestlers have a combined record of 53-57.  The 125# is 2 wins above 500 and the 133# is 6 losses below 500.  Their records aren't impressive so I would assume that Micic would have an excellent chance at starting as a true freshman.  My question is why would he want to when you consider his competition in the room.  No offense to the current 125# & 133# but with records like theirs, seems like Micic isn't going to be ready to compete against current 125# AAs.  Micic would benefit from a red-shirt year.  In 2015-2016 season, he can be in the lineup with Sebastian, Brill, Tsirtis and whoever else steps up their game.

You obviously are diminishing the experience of wrestling in a college room for multiple years does. Wrestling high school kids vs. college kids on a regular basis makes a huge difference.

You obviously are diminishing the experience of wrestling in a college room for multiple years does. Wrestling high school kids vs. college kids on a regular basis makes a huge difference.

Not diminishing any experience whatsoever.  You can't have wrestling partners who are sub pare and expect those same wrestlers get you where you need to be in order to beat the Nico Megaludis, Nick Roberts, RyanTaylor, Evan Silver, Cory Clark, Thomas Gilman, Jesse Delgado and etc.  Everyone likes to say "Iron sharpens Iron", who in the room right now will push Micic to another level?  Now if Northwestern had Brandon Precin in the wrestling room, then Micic would be better trained for the names mentioned above.

I mean zero disrespect when commenting on the current light weights but let's face it, they are far from being AAs and AAs or national qualifiers is what all these 2014 recruiting class wrestlers needs to compete against on a daily basis in order to maximize their talent.  At least Tsirtis has Matt Storniolo, a multiple AA to work out with on a daily basis. 

Just my 2 cents.

Not diminishing any experience whatsoever.  You can't have wrestling partners who are sub pare and expect those same wrestlers get you where you need to be in order to beat the Nico Megaludis, Nick Roberts, RyanTaylor, Evan Silver, Cory Clark, Thomas Gilman, Jesse Delgado and etc.  Everyone likes to say "Iron sharpens Iron", who in the room right now will push Micic to another level?  Now if Northwestern had Brandon Precin in the wrestling room, then Micic would be better trained for the names mentioned above.

I mean zero disrespect when commenting on the current light weights but let's face it, they are far from being AAs and AAs or national qualifiers is what all these 2014 recruiting class wrestlers needs to compete against on a daily basis in order to maximize their talent.  At least Tsirtis has Matt Storniolo, a multiple AA to work out with on a daily basis. 

Just my 2 cents.

What exactly are you trying to say... that going to NW is a mistake for Micic?

I mean we are talking a Big10 wrestling program which means he will be wrestling as tough a conference schedule as there is. I don't know what the rest of NW's schedule is but he will at least also be wrestling in the Midlands. It is obvious that the 125 weight class was stacked this year with the best returning, but it is no guarantee that they will all still be at 125.

Also, as I asked earlier is it even for sure that Micic will be at 125?

I mean we are talking a Big10 wrestling program which means he will be wrestling as tough a conference schedule as there is. I don't know what the rest of NW's schedule is but he will at least also be wrestling in the Midlands. It is obvious that the 125 weight class was stacked this year with the best returning, but it is no guarantee that they will all still be at 125.

Since Micic wasn't much over 126 all year, assuming he doesn't get too much bigger, it would make sense for him to go 125.

Of course I'm not saying going to NW is a mistake.  What I am saying is that NW doesn't have the depth in the room currently to maximize Micic talent.  Hopefully with the #1 recruiting class coming in next year, additional talent will see NW potential and want to be part of that NW wrestling, which will increase depth in the process.

Do the research yourself and you'll see that my points are valid.  If you don't have a couple of guys in your room to push you every single day, it's hard to reach your full potential.  NW is a institution who's admission standards are high so it's not for everyone.  NW has a room of about 20 wrestlers compare that to the top wrestling schools who seem to average about 35 wrestlers per team.  Look at some of the top 125# or 133# wrestlers teammates.  A lot of those wrestlers would start for other teams, NW included.

Rather Micic becomes an AA or not, the education that he'll be receiving from NW is big in itself.  Everyone who committed to NW has there reason so it can't possibly be a mistake.

Of course I'm not saying going to NW is a mistake.  What I am saying is that NW doesn't have the depth in the room currently to maximize Micic talent.  Hopefully with the #1 recruiting class coming in next year, additional talent will see NW potential and want to be part of that NW wrestling, which will increase depth in the process.

Do the research yourself and you'll see that my points are valid.  If you don't have a couple of guys in your room to push you every single day, it's hard to reach your full potential.  NW is a institution who's admission standards are high so it's not for everyone.  NW has a room of about 20 wrestlers compare that to the top wrestling schools who seem to average about 35 wrestlers per team.  Look at some of the top 125# or 133# wrestlers teammates.  A lot of those wrestlers would start for other teams, NW included.

Meluvwrestling just out of curiosity did you wrestle in college??

Like majority of the posters on this forum, no, I didn't wrestle in college.

So you don't really know how tough it is to wrestle in a college practice room. Even if the kids are not AA or have a winning record does not mean they are not going to be tough kids in the practice room.  Oh and I'm pretty sure Mcic will have a guy in the room that just won a national title. Just because Mcic may be a 125 or 133 pounder next year doesn't mean he can't wrestle Tsirtsis. I mean I'd take a national champ as a wrestling partner. Before you go questioning a college wrestling room you might want to actually experience it. And everybody else wasn't diminishing NW practice room.

So you don't really know how tough it is to wrestle in a college practice room. Even if the kids are not AA or have a winning record does not mean they are not going to be tough kids in the practice room.  Oh and I'm pretty sure Mcic will have a guy in the room that just won a national title. Just because Mcic may be a 125 or 133 pounder next year doesn't mean he can't wrestle Tsirtsis. I mean I'd take a national champ as a wrestling partner. Before you go questioning a college wrestling room you might want to actually experience it. And everybody else wasn't diminishing NW practice room.

Agreed.  You don't think twice about beating a high school state champ.  All past records are replaced.  It is another level.

So let me get this straight.  Everyone who's opinion is that Micic can AA his true freshman year is invalid unless they wrestled in college?  What's funny is that you're assuming that I know nothing about college practice rooms just because I didn't wrestle in college.  Do I know the daily grind of D1 college practice environment, no but I'm sure neither do 99% of wrestling forum posters.  What if I took my son to a couple top 5 D1 college room to workout and he beat the type of wrestlers previously mentioned?  He's also rolled around with NCAA round of 12/16 and AAs at the same practices and needless to say, didn't fare as well.  In fact, we're even blessed to have additional wrestlers along with current AAs who come home to visit and practice at least several times during the season because they want to stay in shape.  What i'm learning during these practice sessions is that I know that my son has benefited from the latter competition in order to reach whatever goal he sets for himself.

No one is questioning the toughness of the competitors in the practice room, it's about rather or not those wrestlers can help top ranked wrestlers achieve AA status.  I personally know a current NW wrestler and he's a hard worker and very competitive but at the end of the day, he's not a D1 AA caliber wrestler.  This young man has been in the room for 3 years now and when he comes back home to visit, always gives back to the club that he's been involved with for years.  I don't care if a wrestlers goes 0-100 during his collegiate career, sticking it out for 4 or 5 years shows toughness in itself.

As far as Tsirtis being in the room, sure that helps Bryce Brill because they'll be close to the same size but Micic will be greatly undersized.  Since I didn't wrestle, I guess that's an invalid point as well.  Tsirtis will be able to offer him valuable advice and etc but he'll be to big to go all out when it comes to live sessions against a 125#/133# wrestler.

All i'm saying is simply this, competing against ncaa qualifiers and AAs will get you farther in any sport than the opposite of the spectrum.  I can separate the difference between toughness and accomplishments and not make it personal.

So let me get this straight.  Everyone who's opinion is that Micic can AA his true freshman year is invalid unless they wrestled in college?  What's funny is that you're assuming that I know nothing about college practice rooms just because I didn't wrestle in college.  Do I know the daily grind of D1 college practice environment, no but I'm sure neither do 99% of wrestling forum posters.  What if I took my son to a couple top 5 D1 college room to workout and he beat the type of wrestlers previously mentioned?  He's also rolled around with NCAA round of 12/16 and AAs at the same practices and needless to say, didn't fare as well.  In fact, we're even blessed to have additional wrestlers along with current AAs who come home to visit and practice at least several times during the season because they want to stay in shape.  What i'm learning during these practice sessions is that I know that my son has benefited from the latter competition in order to reach whatever goal he sets for himself.

No one is questioning the toughness of the competitors in the practice room, it's about rather or not those wrestlers can help top ranked wrestlers achieve AA status.  I personally know a current NW wrestler and he's a hard worker and very competitive but at the end of the day, he's not a D1 AA caliber wrestler.  This young man has been in the room for 3 years now and when he comes back home to visit, always gives back to the club that he's been involved with for years.  I don't care if a wrestlers goes 0-100 during his collegiate career, sticking it out for 4 or 5 years shows toughness in itself.

As far as Tsirtis being in the room, sure that helps Bryce Brill because they'll be close to the same size but Micic will be greatly undersized.  Since I didn't wrestle, I guess that's an invalid point as well.  Tsirtis will be able to offer him valuable advice and etc but he'll be to big to go all out when it comes to live sessions against a 125#/133# wrestler.

All i'm saying is simply this, competing against ncaa qualifiers and AAs will get you farther in any sport than the opposite of the spectrum.  I can separate the difference between toughness and accomplishments and not make it personal.

I'm not talking about the 99% of the other people on forums. I'm just posting about what you said about NW wrestling room at 125/133. I asked if you wrestled in college to see the credibility of your post. Like anyone else that would post something like that, and I read it, if they didn't experience  the level of a college practice room and how tough it is coming from a high school practice room to a college practice room I'm probably gonna say something. I guarantee Micic is going to be in a battle to get in the starting line up and when he does those guys will prepare him just fine to AA top 4.  I'm saying there is a difference between knowing how hard a practice room is and actually wrestling in a hard room. They are a lot of AA that are awful practice partners and then there are wrestlers to never AA and are absolute monsters in the practice room. I'm not personally attacking you just stating my opinion like you said you weren't deminishing NW, you were just giving your opinion.

Just cause Micic may be 125/133 and Tsirtis is 149/157 does not mean anything. I'm positive it would still be a battle in the practice room. I've seen it plenty of times.

I'm not talking about the 99% of the other people on forums. I'm just posting about what you said about NW wrestling room at 125/133. I asked if you wrestled in college to see the credibility of your post. Like anyone else that would post something like that, and I read it, if they didn't experience  the level of a college practice room and how tough it is coming from a high school practice room to a college practice room I'm probably gonna say something. I guarantee Micic is going to be in a battle to get in the starting line up and when he does those guys will prepare him just fine to AA top 4.  I'm saying there is a difference between knowing how hard a practice room is and actually wrestling in a hard room. They are a lot of AA that are awful practice partners and then there are wrestlers to never AA and are absolute monsters in the practice room. I'm not personally attacking you just stating my opinion like you said you weren't deminishing NW, you were just giving your opinion.

Just cause Micic may be 125/133 and Tsirtis is 149/157 does not mean anything. I'm positive it would still be a battle in the practice room. I've seen it plenty of times.

Fair enough.  I can only go by what my personal experience is with my son practicing with different levels of college athletes.  Also, I know how hard it is going from HS to college but just not in a wrestling practice room.

So what your saying, from your personal experience in a D1 level practice room, not necessarily at NW, but a 149/157# will go all out against a 125/133#?  That almost seems risky due to size difference, especially if the heavier wrestler is trying to make a point. 

I was a 125#er most of my college career I wrestled up to our 149 National qualifier multiple times. We went full go. You are friends with these guys and always trying to get better so you go with the best you can and give 110% to make sure that guy is getting a good look. Heck I even worked out with Andy when I was a little baby 125. And trust me he gave me all he had and that helped me get the idea of what its like wrestling in college.

Fair enough.  I can only go by what my personal experience is with my son practicing with different levels of college athletes.  Also, I know how hard it is going from HS to college but just not in a wrestling practice room.

So what your saying, from your personal experience in a D1 level practice room, not necessarily at NW, but a 149/157# will go all out against a 125/133#?  That almost seems risky due to size difference, especially if the heavier wrestler is trying to make a point. 

What he is trying to say is you are underestimating how good kids are based on their DI season records. Dominick Malone, Garrison White and Pat Greco all came out of high school with some serious accolades. While they may be hovering around .500, they are very good wrestlers and will pack plenty of punch for Micic to work with. You are way underestimating what being in a collegiate room for 1-3 years does for a kid.

Back when I was in college as a junior we had a really good class of incoming recruits with some very high placements in state and such. They didn't fair too well with many of the experienced wrestlers that had a lot less credentials coming out of high school. Many of these kids had a really tough time with that and decided that wrestling was "not for them."

It isn't uncommon for an All-American to have 10-15 losses due to a stringent schedule.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.