Chalfaint

Regionrat1

It gets me sick we have 2 d1 programs and they are both terrible. We have soon good kids in state and they don't get better. What gives ? My time to rant - I hate to see all the list opportunities for kids - we used to have 7 di programs in Indiana - tittle 9 blows

I'm not defending any particular coaches here, but to say that Chalfant didn't improve is a crime. He was a one time state champ primarily because he was a man among boys his senior year. He developed into a complete wrestler at IU with a very slick offense for a big man.

And he could have been a national champ at IU. He lost to the champion in the semi finals because he tripped and fell! He just as easily could have won that match and had already beaten Nelson once this year. Have to give credit where credit is due.

All of the discussion about IU and Purdue coaches aside, if you think Chalfant didn't improve, you didn't watch any matches.  Chalfant was widely regarded as THE MOST improved wrestler in the Big 10 this season and many picked him to win it all going into the weekend.

My question isn't so much about why he didn't win with his talent.  My question is more about what happened in the last 5 matches.  He's been so intense and so active for the last several months, mostly overwhelming anyone in his path.  Why did his work rate drop so dramatically in those last 5 matches?  I remember Goldman saying earlier this season that if Adam keeps on his offense, he has nothing to worry about.  And that was almost always the case.  Even in the big 10 final, Nelson is an incredible counter wrestler; and Adam still risked real shots on him no less than 10 legitimate times. And that's been his norm.  But he didn't come close to that sort of pressure in any of his last 5 matches. 

Whatever the case, he had an unbelievable season and he's still a beast in my mind.

nO QUESTION he improved - the kid is so gifted physically I thought he could run the table - looks like to me he was just satisfied he AA

In my book goldyocks need to go - has had his chance - some quality guys are assistance in the b10 Perry, Pritzlof Bormet all could be good head coaches

All of the discussion about IU and Purdue coaches aside, if you think Chalfant didn't improve, you didn't watch any matches.  Chalfant was widely regarded as THE MOST improved wrestler in the Big 10 this season and many picked him to win it all going into the weekend.

My question isn't so much about why he didn't win with his talent.  My question is more about what happened in the last 5 matches.  He's been so intense and so active for the last several months, mostly overwhelming anyone in his path.  Why did his work rate drop so dramatically in those last 5 matches?  I remember Goldman saying earlier this season that if Adam keeps on his offense, he has nothing to worry about.  And that was almost always the case.  Even in the big 10 final, Nelson is an incredible counter wrestler; and Adam still risked real shots on him no less than 10 legitimate times. And that's been his norm.  But he didn't come close to that sort of pressure in any of his last 5 matches. 

Whatever the case, he had an unbelievable season and he's still a beast in my mind.

This is just speculation on my part (as I never came anywhere near anything resembling the pressure of nationals), but what was at stake probably made him more hesitant. I'd imagine that a single mistake could cost you a national championship (like tripping, for instance) weighs pretty heavy in the minds of these guys.

We see this year in and year out in the finals when explosive offensive wrestlers take it back a notch in the state championship match. A glaring example this year would be Corsaro.

Regardless, Adam had an incredible season and made Indiana wrestling proud! Great season Adam!

Chalfant had an incredible season. Heavyweight was rediculous in depth. To say that because he didn't win the whole thing because of coaching is rediculous. It could have been won by any one of the top guys on any given day. He stumbled, end of story. Otherwise, I believe he would have been the national champ. Awesome wrestler, had a great career. But to say he didn't develop at IU is pure bs. He started out as a football player in college. Decided to wrestle, and went from not being an all american last year to being top 6 this year. Pretty good jump. Were we all hoping for more, sure, but stuff happens. Not everything is the coaches fault. Great job Adam, it was a pleasure to watch you compete.

This is just the tip of the Ice Burg of coaching complaints. IU has been on the Decline since Angel left. and it wasn't a slight decline...it was a full on 90 degree drop. If IU was a  in a Small Conference people wouldn't be so up in arms...but this is the Big 10 the best conference in the country 2-3 AA's should be an average or down year  for the lower tier Big 10 teams.

This is just the tip of the Ice Burg of coaching complaints. IU has been on the Decline since Angel left. and it wasn't a slight decline...it was a full on 90 degree drop. If IU was a  in a Small Conference people wouldn't be so up in arms...but this is the Big 10 the best conference in the country 2-3 AA's should be an average or down year  for the lower tier Big 10 teams.

Agree.  My heart broke when Adam fell.  I'm such a region/area/my state fan I was so upset.  Adam made great strides this season and had one heck of a year.  Congrats to him

This is just speculation on my part (as I never came anywhere near anything resembling the pressure of nationals), but what was at stake probably made him more hesitant. I'd imagine that a single mistake could cost you a national championship (like tripping, for instance) weighs pretty heavy in the minds of these guys.

We see this year in and year out in the finals when explosive offensive wrestlers take it back a notch in the state championship match. A glaring example this year would be Corsaro.

Regardless, Adam had an incredible season and made Indiana wrestling proud! Great season Adam!

+1

Agree on both the hesitation issue.  Also, on Adam having a great season overall for himself and our state.  He has definitely shown he has learned to be a tough college level wrestler even if he did falter at the end of this season.

What happened to Chalfant when he got pinned in the wrestle back? I saw on TrackWresrling he got pinned in 18 seconds. It seems incredible that someone could pin him that quick cause Chalfant's a monster.

What happened to Chalfant when he got pinned in the wrestle back? I saw on TrackWresrling he got pinned in 18 seconds. It seems incredible that someone could pin him that quick cause Chalfant's a monster.

Double leg right to his back. It was really quick, not sure he was expecting McMullen to shoot that early.

Actually it was a Lat Drop.  Chalfant shot in and McMullan hit a lat drop.  It was pretty sweet.  It is on Mat 3 during the medal round on espn 3 wrestling replays at about the 1:01 hr mark.  Here is a good interview with McMullan talks about the lat drop and about Tsirtsis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.