tHE Differemce between alex and jason

Regionrat1

It does help that Jason has had the years of wisdom that Alex can specifically provide him.  The power of the mullet helps too.

This sounds like a quote from Jason himself. Congrats to Jason, and I am sure that he would, without question tell everyone Alex is his biggest fan and with his father(amongst others a close 3rd) are the greatest assets to this title.

Alex done wrestling?  The new international wt class of 65KG would be perfect for him.  He looked like he was still in good shape.  Yeah I think Jason has learned a lot from Alex.  Enjoyed watching both of them.  Alex was tough on his feet.  Jason is just an extremely smart wrestler solid all positions.

Alex done wrestling?  The new international wt class of 65KG would be perfect for him.  He looked like he was still in good shape.  Yeah I think Jason has learned a lot from Alex.  Enjoyed watching both of them.  Alex was tough on his feet.  Jason is just an extremely smart wrestler solid all positions.

Last year or maybe the previous one Alex did participate in some regional competitions that would have qualified him for the world team trials.  I'm not sure how seriously he prepared for the competitions vs. did it as a side effect of helping his brother prepare for them but he did OK on the mat.  I'm not sure we will see him make a serious run at a world team but Alex still has some battle left in him. 

Jason is clearly better in par terre, and I would agree that Alex's offense on his feet is a bit better, but Jason's defense in neutral is better than Alex's. The way he hipped out of Kindig's deep single was absolutely world class. No doubt that big bro has helped him tremendously.

Jason can get away on the bottom / alex better on his feet / but ridden like a mule / they figure out sit out and turn / don't let um put the hooks in/ region wraslin !!!

\

Bottom wrestling appeared to be Alex's biggest flaw in college.  If I'm not mistaken, Alex was rode an entire period Friday night at state his senior year.  It foreshadowed what was to come in his college career.

I have no knowledge of Jason's school age coaching but I can't help but think efforts were made to build him into a more well rounded wrestler prior to entering college.  After all, stud high school wrestlers are rarely on bottom.

I have zero evidence of this, and only say this based on interviews, etc...

The difference to me is that Jason seems much happier than Alex did...actually anyone who has wrestled for Iowa lately.  Jason comes off the mat with a win smiling and making jokes, and the Hawks come off the mat victorious and pi$$ed off.

Just an observation.

I agree with others that there are certainly particular areas that Jason is better, but the biggest aspect that has led to that fact is his mindset.  He's always been fearless.  Alex has said publicly that he thinks he was always too tentative in big matches and that he didn't grow and improve as much as he should have because of it.  Jason hasn't seemed to have those same fears and I think this has allowed him to face more scrambles and more difficult situations and to experience more success with different setups and finishes.  He's just plain more well-rounded in all aspects, having been refined by better trial and error (and seeing and learning from his brother's trials and errors)...in my opinion. 

That's what I think brought Howe--at his best-- to being one of the best 3 or 4 best wrestlers in the United States at any level.  (He may be down a tick now, but he was at that level a couple of years ago before more and more injuries piled up).  Howe has lost at times--but it's never been because he wasn't out there with the single purpose of taking the match to you.  If Jason can keep that fearless mindset as well while he develops, he can be great.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.