Tracking IU, Purdue, Howe, Tsirtsis, Petrov, Harvey (mat #'s, results, etc.)

maligned

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping he'll learn a lesson from Howe's freshman year.  Fighting all year to prove he belonged, then suddenly found himself in the championship as a slight favorite and didn't wrestle his best. 

Leblanc lost 4-0 in his wrestleback, by the way.  So Tsirtsis, Howe, and Chalfant the only medalists from these guys we've been tracking.

Chalfant loses a very exciting 5-3 decision.  Gwiazdowski of NC State is no joke.  He is so slick for a heavyweight.  I thought Chalfant's offense could overpower him a little, but Gwiazdowski was just too smooth and savvy.  Chalfant still guaranteed to be at least top 6.  He'll have McMullan of Northwestern in the morning.

I don't know if people saw, but Howe is up first tonight.  He'll meet Perry from Oklahoma St, the defending national champion who Howe has split with this year.

Tsirtsis will be up 8th against Kindig, also of Oklahoma St.  I mentioned this earlier, but the two know each other at least to some degree.  Jason almost went to Oklahoma St.  When he was asked a couple years ago during his decision process if it mattered that OSU had a Top 10-rated guy at his weight that would still be around for a while, Jason said that Kindig was his on-campus host during his official visit.  He said that in fact Kindig was an amazing guy that would be one of the reasons he would go to OSU if he decided to go.  Quite the coincidence that they end up in this situation in Oklahoma City tonight.  Should be a great match!

Was it a random draw to start at 174?  I would have enjoyed this match to be last, because I think this will be the best match of the night.

The tournament committee decides what weight to start with, then they go in weight order.  They usually try to have the last match as something that everyone will want to stick around for.  This order does several things: it highlights the Howe/Perry match by having it first, it makes sure that the team race isn't decided until the end (last two matches involve all 3 teams with a chance to win), and it showcases Taylor's last college match.

watchespn.com

Howe loses 3-0 to Perry.  He finishes his career with one title, two 2nds, and a third.

Crazy how he gets 3rd as frosh...1st as sophomore and never wins another title!  Still one of the best ever, in high school and college!  Way to represent Indiana

Respect to Perry for going after it (after the early stall call), but it's almost unreal to say Howe will only go down as a 1 time NCAA champ.  So close so many times to multiple titles but couldn't quite finish it out (injury hampering one attempt). 

Crazy how he gets 3rd as frosh...

2nd as true freshman

1st as true sophomore

3rd as true junior (battling hampering injury)

2nd as redshirt senior (to defending national champ)

Agree though that he has represented Indiana well on the mat. One of the most accomplished wrestlers in our states history.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.