Past ISWA State Chair Mike Dowden Passes Away

PROPOWER

Mike Dowden passed away on Friday late afternoon.  Mike was the past State Chairman for the ISWA and grew the Indiana kids wrestling program to one of the best in the country.  He taught me that the sport of wrestling is more than about just one kid or one team but that we do this for ALL the over kids.  Mike also served on several boards for USA Wrestling and will be truly missed.  Please pray for Sharon Dowden and their kids and grand kids during this tough time.

Indiana Wrestling will miss Mike.  I cannot think of anyone that has done more for our sport than him.

He truly dedicated his life to the kids in our sport.  His leadership in the ISWA has set our state as one of the best in the nation and that footprint that he has left will be felt forever.

I'm only sorry I didn't have the chance to look him in the eye and say "Thank you".

I was fortunate to know Mr. Dowden for a few years and I can honestly say that he was EXTREMELY dedicated to the betterment of Indiana wrestling and our kids.  He stood his ground for what he believed in and his career and investment in our sport cannot truly be measured as he did so much.  May God continue to to be with Mrs. Dowden and their family as he will truly be missed.  Indiana lost a great one and now it is up to us to pick up the slack in his honor.

Mike will be missed. He was always helpful when it came to the Normonco wrestling club whenever we had a question those first few years. He has helped make the ISWA one of the best wrestling associations in the country. You will be missed Mike.

Richard Michael "Mike" Dowden, 69, of Indianapolis passed away March 14, 2014. He was born on October 3, 1944 to the late Richard Kenneth and Margaret Elizabeth Dowden in Indianapolis, IN. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Sharon Miller Dowden. He was a father to three sons: Jeff (Trina), Jay (Tianna) and Aaron (Melissa). Mike enjoyed his six grandchildren: Elizabeth, Olivia, John, Huston, Reaghan, and Mason.

He has a sister, Sherie (Ben) Dodson, of Youngstown, OH and a brother Gary (Marcia) Dowden of Kokomo, IN. He was a long-time member of Southeastern Christian Fellowship. He was defined by his faith, love of his family and a passion for wrestling.

Mike served as a member of the Indiana National Guard from 1965 - 1971. He was employed at AT&T for 35+ years. After retiring from AT&T, he operated AM Awards. He was a 25 year member of the Indiana State Wrestling Association (ISWA) Board of Directors. He served as the ISWA State Chairman from 1993 to 2008. Mike was the recipient of the John Hurrle Memorial Award. He was inducted into the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame. USA Wrestling named Mike "Junior Person of the Year" and "State Chairman of the Year".

Visitation will be held at Hendryx Mortuary Cumberland Chapel on Thursday, March 20, 2014 from 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Private services to follow Friday, March 21, 2014.

~ "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.