NCAA at-large qualifiers being announced NOW...brackets/selection show to come

maligned

NCAA at-large qualifiers are being announced, weight-by-weight, over the next several hours at this link:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2014-03-12/qualifiers-10-weight-classes-revealed-2014-di-wrestling

The selection show with brackets and seeds will be at 6pm, also on NCAA.com.

Sabatello of Purdue gets in at 141...only 125 still to be announced.

Was surprised to see Sabatello get in over Jesse Thielke of Wisconsin.  Thielke finished his year with a record of 20-13, Sabatello was 22-12. 

Additionally, Thielke destroyed Sabatello by major decision 18-6 in the 7th place match at B10's.

Tsirtsis gets under-seeded at #5.  Dardanes, who he just beat, ends up a #2.  I know bracketing will push seeds up or down a bit sometimes, but nothing in the other seeds at this weight seem to explain this reasoning.  A tricky rematch with the kid from App St awaits in the round of 16.  Jason smoked him for his only loss of the season...those types of rematches are always a little sticky.  He seems focused, so I'm guessing he'll just let the under-seeding add fuel to the fire.

Also, Chalfant is a #3 at 285 and Howe is the #2 at 174.  All three are obviously serious title contenders.

Was surprised to see Sabatello get in over Jesse Thielke of Wisconsin.  Thielke finished his year with a record of 20-13, Sabatello was 22-12. 

Additionally, Thielke destroyed Sabatello by major decision 18-6 in the 7th place match at B10's.

Looking through the seeds, my impression is that they gave a little less weight to the B10 tourney than in past years.  They clearly seemed to emphasize full body of work, not weighing any single match or two at B10's any more than earlier action.  Sabatello was 6th best in the big 10 in the season (finishing with several top 20 wins)--and Thielke 8th best in the regular season.  Then Thielke was 7th and Sabatello 8th at the tournament.  Those combined results put Sabatello a small tick ahead.

I was also surprised to see Tsirtsis at 5.  I was thinking a 3 seed, would suit him well.

Yeah, I thought he'd get a 2 or 3 based on the emphasis they've given to postseason tournaments in the past. 

Thielke tossed Sabatello (twice) was the best throw of the tournament!!!

If Tsirtsis gets by Busler I think he will see English from PSU instead of Cottrell.  Tsirtsis with a tough draw.  Howe vs. Kokesh will be a great match.

good point...very much a possibility

I am a dunce having trouble finding a link to the brackets  Please help a brother out.  Thanks in advance.

Jason Bryant (formally of USA Wrestling) and a few others at TOM have developed a nice NCAA DI super page at theopenmat.com

http://news.theopenmat.com/2014/03/d1-championship-central/

They also have some similar information about the other NCAA Divisions too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.