Tell City

Adams Central

Seeger

Winchester

North White

South Putnam

South Adams

North Knox

LaVille (eligible for final vote-in position only)

So updated final lists from Coach McCormick's first post on this thread:

3A (LARGE)

Penn (Accept)

Ev. Mater Dei (Accept)

Avon (Accept)

Cathedral (Accept)

Warren Central (Accept)

Perry Meridian (Accept)

Carmel (Accept)

FW Carroll (Accept)

Bloomington South (Accept)

Franklin (Accept)

New Palestine

Westfield

2A (MEDIUM)

Yorktown (Accept)

Ev. Memorial (Accept)

Mt. Vernon (Posey) (Accept)

Bellmont (Accept)

Gibson Southern (Accept)

Southmont (Accept)

Lebanon (Accept)

Leo (Accept)

South Bend St. Joe (Accept)

Franklin County (Accept)

Columbia City

Rochester

1A (SMALL)

Churubusco (Accept)

Union County (Accept)

Bremen (Accept)

Tecumseh (Accept)

West Central (Accept)

Monrovia (Accept)

Central Noble (Accept)

Milan (Accept)

Westview (Accept)

Triton Central (Accept)

Prairie Heights

Adams Central

January 3rd is the same date as the Al Smith and Connersville tournaments.

Probably because they knew the 27th was a bad date to have it. Same logic should apply to this tournament. I hadn't heard that the 27th was the announced date. Just figured it would be the 3rd since that's the corresponding date from last year's schedule.

If they are going with January 3rd then they are going on the same dates as Connersville and the Al Smith. That would include Penn, Cathedral, Warren Central, Carroll, Bellmont, Lebanon, Franklin County, Union County and Prairie Heights all having big conflicts.  That is almost a third of the field affected.

Coach McCormick can comment on this better than I can, but all of this is the reason that info is still being gathered to make sure everyone will attend.  Several programs are obviously very concerned about the 27th, but the holidays fell strangely this year so there are irregular conflicts on the 3rd as well.  I don't believe any program, however, has said they will NOT attend on either of the dates.

It's a shame that the Region has not one team represented in the duals.

Why don't we just call this the Indianapolis Dual Championships?

It's not for lack of invitation--just for lack of desire by the region big dogs to be involved.  Merrillville and CP still remain the only two teams in the state to reject their invitations in any of the three years (5 rejections total).  I agree that it's disappointing. 

Outside of that, there's been lots of Merrillville semi-state representation, just not the traditional region big dogs you might think of.

It's a shame that the Region has not one team represented in the duals.

Why don't we just call this the Indianapolis Dual Championships?

I just realized your interest was with Portage. That voting in 3A must have been killer.  I'm the one that compiled the team reports for the coaches to vote on and there were no weak teams among the candidates.  You had a loaded New Pal team bringing back 11 guys, 3 other top 20 teams (Portage, Westfield, Hamilton SE) bringing back a good amount and with top-notch JV and 8th graders filling in the gaps, 3 young teams with virtually everyone returning (Harrison, Riley, Elkhart Memorial), and East Noble returning the most legit state champion contenders of any candidate.  I'm sure they were very, very difficult to separate.  Knowing there was only one Indy-area coach voting and seeing that the other classes' selected at-large teams were from outside of central Indiana, it's hard to suggest there was some sort of Indy-area bias.

Update on Team State Duals

I will start by admitting that I did not think it would be as hard as it has been to find a central Indiana location to host our larger event next season.  With respect to the 5 Indianapolis area large schools (who regularly host big wrestling tournaments) who I initially contacted about hosting the event, their wrestling coaches were all very excited and each one wanted to host the event but in every case their administration put the skids on citing holiday break considerations and barriers.  I have been in communication with some universities in central(ish) Indiana, and I am still communicating with one of them right now.  The Convention Center is simply too much money.  We are not a big enough fish yet to throw those kind of dollars around.  So with that little bit of background information, I will give a brief description of recent events and where we currently stand.

Most all of the 36 teams said they could compete on either Dec. 27 or Jan. 3 (with a couple of exceptions).  With that being said though, there are a handful of the 3A schools that expressed a sincere need to compete on Jan. 3 due to the Mater Dei classic being held on Dec. 29 and 30 and one other conflict for one of the other schools.  Here is where it looks like we are headed at this point in time based on facility availability, tournament costs, work force availability and participating teams' schedules and requests:

Dec. 27 - 1A and 2A Championships

- The West Pavilion at the state fairgrounds is reserved at this time, but as mentioned earlier, we are awaiting communication from another venue in central Indiana as a potential site

- 12 mats down with 24 teams competing

Jan. 3 - 3A Championships

- At Franklin Community Schools

- 6 mats down with 12 teams competing

There are still details to be worked out, but I can tell you it is not easy to secure a facility(ies) during the holiday season; on a limited budget; with 36 teams' various schedules. As is the case with any growing wrestling event, there will be kinks to work out, and I thank those coaches and AD's who have been extremely patient and good to work with.  The selection committee worked until 1am this morning in pouring through data and information in making the final selections.  I want to thank Adrian Troyer for all of the work he has done in putting together the numbers and data over the past three years.  There has been (and will continue to be) a lot of work put into developing and hosting this event, and I want to thank those people who have given of their time for the betterment of Indiana wrestling.

Although we have facilities "roughed" in right now, if someone has information on a large facility for the Dec. 27 date (anywhere in Indiana), I would be interested in hearing about it.

(12 mats, 24 teams, set up on Dec. 26, wrestle all day on Dec. 27)

Coach McCormick

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.