When is enough, ENOUGH?!

Mudflap, you have to realize that if Indiana kids don't want to stay in Indiana,they don't have too. You make it sound like we are obligated to go to an Indiana college. I understand your side in the debate, but if there is a better school that wants an elite wrestler, then by all means they should go. Do you think Jason would have won the Big 10 at IU or Purdue? He went to NW to get better because there are better wrestlers at these other schools. So to sum up, Indiana wrestlers are not obligated to go to less talented Indiana colleges, and they go out of state because there are better practice partners.

Your point is a good one, and by no means have I said that Indiana HS kids are OBLIGATED to do anything.  My argument is that Purdue and IU need to make things attractive enough so that our top Indiana HS kids don't want to leave the state for greener pastures.  I echo your sentiments 100%.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I believe the way to get the top Indiana HS kids to want to go to Purdue and IU is to clean house at both places..  Fire Larry and fire Duane.  Start fresh, and sell these kids on the "rebirth of Purdue and IU wrestling"

Absolutely not ^

These are big boys in the big leagues...people criticize college programs all the time...turn on ESPN. Both those programs are not good. That is a FACT. This fact causes Indiana's elite kids to go out of state to get better wrestling. I want to see IU and PU be successful but until they change some things that won't become a reality. As fans and supporters of the programs we are allowed to voice our concerns.

IU and Purdue need to make some coaching changes. It's that simple.

I like Hinkel and I think he's a good leader/administrator. I feel with the right assistants they could be good. The guys at Purdue seem to wrestle and compete with a lot more joy and fire. Practice partners and atmosphere are a big part of recruiting talent. Practice partners (groups of weights) have everything to do with assistants. IU needs to gut the staff and start over. You HAVE TO have coaches that are a recruiting draw. Having great coaches is step #1 in consistently attracting good kids. These kids aren't stupid.

Just reading this topic, I an not sure people understand that a big 10 head coaching job is pretty prestigious.  I was hoping that Purdue would make a run at Terry Brands when he was at Chattanooga (wrestling powerhouse), but they didn't. 

long story short the big 10 is far superior to the old big 12 and both schools should be able to land any number of coaches they want.

It is obvious that to have a successful program you need a coach that has had some success.  Look at the top programs...PSU, Iowa, ok state....pretty good petigree in those coaches.  PSU was a middle of the road big ten team and with one hire they are 3x defending champs now. 

Purdue needs at someone with at least an NCAA title to be their coach to draw kids that want succeed.  Can you imagine what his pitch was to Howe, Tsirtsis and Micic..."I believe you guys have what it takes to be a 1 time All American, and I can teach you how". Those guys are all from that area.

But unfortunatly I am a realist also.  If your AD is known for being cheap you are gonna get what you pay for.  Plus, the the schools around you are getting the cream of the crop you are going to have to do the best with what you can get.  Their wrestlers don't get in trouble etc...

Northwestern should be used as a model as they are a tough school academically (and expensive) and don't have a super big name coach and they have no real history so how can they land all of these super recruits and be competitive.

I have no real insight into either program, and I very rarely attended meets (which looking back is unfortunate) but I am just comparing them to their peers within the conference.

here's the deal...Purdue and IU wrestling are just not wrestling schools.  Obviously what we have now is not working and not matter what - YOU CAN'T ARGUE THAT.

So, lets change coaches and see what happens, we can't do any worse.  Again - YOU CAN'T ARGUE THIS POINT.

Finally - even if its just for a few years until we lose him to another program -lets pony up another $10,000 and pay some new and upcoming coach that is a DI champ at least 6 figures and see if he can turn our program around.

Wow missed this on college board, there are actually guys over there supporting the IU staff.  I agree IU needs to get the in state talent and the y also need to keep the out of state talent they get.  Goldman is a fixture and the assistants are revolving. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.